What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

RedVDave

First Grade
I was just skimming through the NRL stats for the 2020 season & there wasn’t a dragon in the top 5 or top 10 for any significant category run meters, line breaks etc.. except for McInnes 3rd for tackles. The only other top fives were Ben Hunt number 4 for Missed Tackles & Zac Lomax number 1 for Errors!!!!

Hook & the boys have a huge job ahead of them.

We would have number 1 in excuses surely? Or number in fans with the highest blood pressure.

BLM01

First Grade
Great interview with Elliott and Gentle.
It really highlights the difference in expirence between these 3 and the other 3 we had for 7 odd year.
Each one of these coaches on their own have more expirence than McGregor Young and Hornby combined.
It really is astounding that we even signed all 3 at the same time let alone persistered with them.
Also how refreshing is it to actually want to listen to them and take something away from the interview.
As PG said to get and fix the defensive systems and try and get that right..and it is a challenge..
To listen to those 2 it is almost we are starting a whole new training and teaching regime for the players
LOL ohhh Mary..how far we have fallen.

George Sancti

Juniors
I appreciate that it is early days, however the views being expressed by the coaching staff must be rubbing off on the players in a positive way. Whilst I am not drawing comparisons, I often wondered whether the1977 team would have performed nearly as well under a different coach.

George Dragon

Juniors
NRL 2021: How Anthony Griffin ended ‘fat club’ at St. George Illawarra Dragons
The Dragons were so afraid of Anthony Griffin’s gruelling training they were hard at work before their new coach had even stepped foot into WIN Stadium.

Fatima Kdouh
December 15, 2020 - 6:04PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

St George Illawarra players have revealed how Anthony Griffin’s fearsome reputation killed ‘The Fat Club’ in Wollongong.

The rumours and chatter about Griffin’s punishing preseasons started doing the rounds at the Dragons the moment Griffin was signed as the club’s new head coach in September.

It literally scared the kilograms off players and all returned to the club from the off-season in tip-top shape.

Not a single St George Illawarra player made the “fat club” when they clocked on for pre-season training under their new coach ahead of the 2021 season.

“They heard a few rumours from what he was like back in the day so I think it scared the guys a fair bit,” forward Kaide Ellis revealed.

Anthony Griffin’s reputation preceded him at the Dragons, prompting players to keep fit during the off-season.
“He used to do a lot of early morning clubs if you weren’t fit enough like drills.

“A few of the boys heard about those things and knuckled down more than what they would have.”

While fear might have kept the weight off, winger Jordan Pereira described Griffin’s arrival in Wollongong as a ‘breath of fresh air’.

Pereira believes Griffin’s approach to training, while still gruelling, can help the Dragons turn around their on-field fortunes.

“We don’t have a fat club this year. It’s been a breath of fresh air, everyone is in good nick,” Pereira said.

“The conditioning is laid out in a better format. It [training] is harder but we get more optimum time to rest and recover.

“The hard days start at 6am but the easy days are at 9am so after your hard day you get a big sleep and chance to recover. The coaches are massive on that, making sure we get to recover.”

The training may be harder but Jordan Pereira says Anthony Griffin has been great for the Dragons. Picture: Dragons
Griffin’s presence might have ended one pre-season tradition but the new coach has installed another in its place, the breakfast club.

Every Friday morning players receive a message from Griffin assigning them to a group of teammates, who then go and eat breakfast together before training.

The groups are picked at random and are different each week.

“Once a week we start at 7.30am to have breakfast. We get split into five different groups of random teammates and we’ll pick a cafe together and go get a coffee. It has been really good to meet the new guys and get a good eggs benny before training,” Pereira said.

For Ellis, the breakfasts are a chance to get away from his roommate and fellow forward Trent Merrin.

“I’m living with Trent Merrin at the moment so I have had a gutful of him. He doesn’t stop. He’s a bit of a pain in the arse so I try avoid him whenever I can because I’m with him 24/7 at the moment,” Ellis said.

Kaide Ellis has trained under Anthony Griffin before and was prepared for a brutal pre-season. Picture: Dragons
Ellis played under Griffin during their time together at Penrith in 2018, where the coach was renown for his no nonsense and uncompromising approach.

But the 24-year old revealed the coach has made some distinct changes to his style, in particular, the relationship Griffin has with his playing group.

“He has made a lot of changes. He had two years off and I’m sure he sat down and thought about what he did well and what he didn’t do well,” Ellis said.

“To me, the one thing I have noticed is that he is a bit more relaxed.

“His relationship with the players …. it was good back then … but better now.

“He used to try and assert himself and be loud, kick and scream a bit, but he’s toned it back a bit and he’s a bit more relaxed.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/c6ac5412d1d4bf45621a38a38f937f30

Gareth67

First Grade
As many have said - nice to listen to coaches ( co ) who have some substance between their ears .

Those 2 gentlemen plus Jamie Soward giving a lending hand and of course the hard nut Griffin himself will steer the Dragons away from those sharp rocky reefs that the former pilot had a nasty habit of hitting .

getsmarty

Immortal
The Dragons were so afraid of Anthony Griffin’s gruelling training they were hard at work before their new coach had even stepped foot into WIN Stadium.

Fatima Kdouh

St George Illawarra players have revealed how Anthony Griffin’s fearsome reputation killed ‘The Fat Club’ in Wollongong.

The rumours and chatter about Griffin’s punishing preseasons started doing the rounds at the Dragons the moment Griffin was signed as the club’s new head coach in September.

It literally scared the kilograms off players and all returned to the club from the off-season in tip-top shape.

Not a single St George Illawarra player made the “fat club” when they clocked on for pre-season training under their new coach ahead of the 2021 season.

“They heard a few rumours from what he was like back in the day so I think it scared the guys a fair bit,” forward Kaide Ellis revealed.

Anthony Griffin’s reputation preceded him at the Dragons, prompting players to keep fit during the off-season.
“He used to do a lot of early morning clubs if you weren’t fit enough like drills.

“A few of the boys heard about those things and knuckled down more than what they would have.”

While fear might have kept the weight off, winger Jordan Pereira described Griffin’s arrival in Wollongong as a ‘breath of fresh air’.

Pereira believes Griffin’s approach to training, while still gruelling, can help the Dragons turn around their on-field fortunes.

“We don’t have a fat club this year. It’s been a breath of fresh air, everyone is in good nick,” Pereira said.

“The conditioning is laid out in a better format. It [training] is harder but we get more optimum time to rest and recover.

“The hard days start at 6am but the easy days are at 9am so after your hard day you get a big sleep and chance to recover. The coaches are massive on that, making sure we get to recover.”

The training may be harder but Jordan Pereira says Anthony Griffin has been great for the Dragons. Picture: Dragons
Griffin’s presence might have ended one pre-season tradition but the new coach has installed another in its place, the breakfast club.

Every Friday morning players receive a message from Griffin assigning them to a group of teammates, who then go and eat breakfast together before training.

“Once a week we start at 7.30am to have breakfast. We get split into five different groups of random teammates and we’ll pick a cafe together and go get a coffee. It has been really good to meet the new guys and get a good eggs benny before training,” Pereira said.

For Ellis, the breakfasts are a chance to get away from his roommate and fellow forward Trent Merrin.

“I’m living with Trent Merrin at the moment so I have had a gutful of him. He doesn’t stop. He’s a bit of a pain in the arse so I try avoid him whenever I can because I’m with him 24/7 at the moment,” Ellis said.

Kaide Ellis has trained under Anthony Griffin before and was prepared for a brutal pre-season. Picture: Dragons
Ellis played under Griffin during their time together at Penrith in 2018, where the coach was renown for his no nonsense and uncompromising approach.

But the 24-year old revealed the coach has made some distinct changes to his style, in particular, the relationship Griffin has with his playing group.

“He has made a lot of changes. He had two years off and I’m sure he sat down and thought about what he did well and what he didn’t do well,” Ellis said.

“He used to try and assert himself and be loud, kick and scream a bit, but he’s toned it back a bit and he’s a bit more relaxed.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/c6ac5412d1d4bf45621a38a38f937f30

Thanks for posting @George Dragon .enjoyable read.

getsmarty

Immortal
williameb-dsc_0105.jpg

DRAGONS

Fat club out, breakfast club in for happy Dragons
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 15 Dec 2020, 06:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s reputation as a hard taskmaster has enabled him to scrap the dreaded pre-season “fat club” and introduce a breakfast club for St George Illawarra players among a host of changes to their training routines.

After hearing about early morning training sessions that Penrith players deemed to be overweight had to endure during Griffin’s tenure with the Panthers, the entire Dragons squad returned after their end-of-season break in good condition.

“We don’t have a fat club this year, everyone is in good nick,” winger Jordan Pereira said. “The coaching staff might have their own outlook on it but they are probably putting us through enough work that we don’t need to have an extra club for the high skin fold folks.”

Prop Kaide Ellis, who feared having to find work as a carpenter in Dubbo until Griffin phoned him before the resumption of pre-season training five weeks ago, has previously played under him at Penrith and said St George Illawarra players had been determined to meet his expectations.

“I think they heard a few rumours about what he used to be like back in the day and that scared the guys a fair bit,” Ellis said. “He used to do a lot of early morning clubs if you weren’t fit enough and all of that sort of stuff, just to drill standards.

“I think a few of the boys heard about all of them sort of things and probably knuckled down a bit more than they would have.”

ellis-dsc_0710.jpg

Dragons prop Kaide Ellis. :copyright:dragons.com.au
Under Griffin, the Dragons train five days per week and start at 6am on the two hardest days.

They start later on the other days to give them longer to recover, while once a week the players are randomly selected in up to five groups to meet for breakfast at cafes in Wollongong.

Mobile phones are banned and any player who breaches the rule has to shout the rest of his group.

“Once a week we start at 7.30am just to have breakfast,” Pereira said. “They split us into four or five different groups of random teammates and then we all pick a café together to go and get a coffee. Every week it is a completely different group.”

Ellis said: “When you are here it is all just about footy and you don’t get a spare five minutes to get to know someone so once a week, young and old mixed together, you leave your phones at home and go for breakfast and a coffee, just to get away and learn about one another.”

After being handed his debut by Griffin at Penrith in 2018, Ellis believes the former Broncos and Panthers mentor has mellowed and he said assistant coaches Matthew Elliott and Peter Gentle complimented his coaching style.

“Just the one thing we have noticed is that he is a bit more relaxed,” Ellis said. “His relationship with the players was good back then but it’s a bit more now because he used to try and assert himself and be a bit loud, and kick and scream a bit, which works but now he has sort of toned it back a bit and is a bit more relaxed.

“Sometimes you wake up and you feel like a marathon runner but the hard work is necessary – they don’t do it for the sake of it. It’s hard at the time but in and around training they are trying to make it a bit less taxing on your body so when it is time to run it is on.

“They have managed it well with days off and in and around training. The days aren’t crazy long so you get time at home to recover and see your family.”

pereira-wiliame-dsc_0141.jpg

Dragons outside backs Brayden Wiliame and Jordan Pereira. :copyright:dragons.com.au
Despite the St George Illawarra players spending five months abiding by the NRL’s strict biosecurity protocols in which they were effectively only able to leave home to train or play, Pereira said they were happy to be back training together.

He also said there was a better atmosphere at training under the new coaching staff after two years of intense scrutiny on the club over the position of former coach Paul McGregor.

“I think when we were in the COVID bubble, because they were the only people we could see, you get along with them so much more because there is no other form of interaction so you need them,” he said. “When we were out of it I kind of missed them.

“I feel like everyone comes into training and they walk through the locker room and everyone is happy. We are all happy to be here and we are all excited. We know we are in for an absolute slaughterhouse of a running session but we are still turning up happy to be here.

“I don’t know what they have done that has caused that but I have noticed it is something that hasn’t been here in the past. Now we are excited and it is contagious.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/15/fat-club-out-breakfast-club-in-for-happy-dragons/

BLM01

First Grade

Fatima Kdouh

Well the media keep playing that wonderful music..keep it going.
Yes it is a breath of fresh clean air
C'mon boys dont be scared tell us what you really think when comparing a half decent coaching staff to the rabble with the paddles.

randomdragon

Juniors
Just an FYI a fat club isn’t mcwreckor specific, every club has a fat club for the overweight guys to do extras to get up to speed with everyone else

Maddragon99

Juniors

Fatima Kdouh

Good article, it’s mostly a youthful squad so there’s no excuse for the boys not ripping into training. Also apart from Bird I don’t think everyone else is rehabing injury. For mine I’m really looking forward to a baulked up Ramsey charging the ball back on kick returns!

don’t want to jinx us but so far no off field dramas either.

BLM01

First Grade
Just an FYI a fat club isn’t mcwreckor specific, every club has a fat club for the overweight guys to do extras to get up to speed with everyone else
Yes true but if you listen to them talk even If it does not amount to making the top eight next year there is just that more respect for who is leading them and We have not even heard from our better players or club leaders yet .

TruSaint

Referee
Sounds like the coaching staff is happy with the cattle they have in terms of talent, hence why we may not be seeing any new players come in yet.

I think that's true, but would add that they may want to see how can can influence the existing squad, as well as no real notable players available.