What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

be55

Juniors
Anthony Griffin reflects on pre-season so far
Anthony Griffin sits down for a chat with Dragons TV on the final day of training before the Christmas break to reflect on his first few weeks at the helm of the squad and how the preparations are coming along

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/18/anthony-griffin-reflects-on-pre-season/
getsmarty...Mate i know many people have commended you for the work that you do but let me say my bit...You continually posting articles for all of us to view and comment on is terrific mate...

You are truly a VIP of this forum,,,

Keep up the good work champ :thumbsup:

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Somehow I doubt the current coaches staff will let them play first grade if they do not improve on those weaknesses and their attitude, as they have youngsters ready to swoop in. This coaching staff will definitely give the juniors a run and not hold them back if someone is not performing like the previous mob. The 2 halves have already been put on notice and Hook has coached both at the Bronco's so he knows what they are capable of to bring out the best in them. At their best they are both quality, unfortunately they did not need to play at their best to get picked in the top 17 in the past. They were picked based on past form before they joined and their $ value.
every player picked should want to play there best every game even if the spot is there's.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
My main two are supreme fitness, and a complete outsider picking his round 1 team based purely on what he sees during the off season and not on the past. It will be very interesting to see how different his side is to Mary’s.
Unless we have have some major of season signings i don't think it can be that much different but hope the performance of players will be different.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Unless we have have some major of season signings i don't think it can be that much different but hope the performance of players will be different.
You all know I love statistical analysis & I think I’ve found a couple of easy fixes to boost our attack.

In the 2020 season we ranked dead last in offloads 153, Parra was the best 292 almost double. McGuber coached second phase play out of our attack. This can be fixed with good coaching.

Our right side attack contributed 28 tries in 2020 compared to 5 tries on the left. Euan Atkien is now gone & Ramsey replacing JP there should be a big increase in productivity on the left. Ramsey is a genuine strike player.

Fixing these two issues should add 20-25 tries in 2021.

thebigredv

First Grade
You all know I love statistical analysis & I think I’ve found a couple of easy fixes to boost our attack.

In the 2020 season we ranked dead last in offloads 153, Parra was the best 292 almost double. McGuber coached second phase play out of our attack. This can be fixed with good coaching.

Our right side attack contributed 28 tries in 2020 compared to 5 tries on the left. Euan Atkien is now gone & Ramsey replacing JP there should be a big increase in productivity on the left. Ramsey is a genuine strike player.

Fixing these two issues should add 20-25 tries in 2021.

Ramsey = points. It's already been evidenced. He is destined to make a huge difference.

The lack of offloads has been the most frustrating aspect of the Dragons attack for mine (and there's been many) in the last few years. I appreciate ball security - our stats on that are probably pretty sound - but would much rather us throw some caution to the wind, as we are simply not the most talented offensive side.

possm

Coach
Ramsey = points. It's already been evidenced. He is destined to make a huge difference.

The lack of offloads has been the most frustrating aspect of the Dragons attack for mine (and there's been many) in the last few years. I appreciate ball security - our stats on that are probably pretty sound - but would much rather us throw some caution to the wind, as we are simply not the most talented offensive side.
In 2021 we will have some extra strike power and hopefully game plans that take into consideration the skills and strenghths of our players. Dufty, Ramsey, Max Feagai, and improved Ravalawa and a more experienced Lomax will see the Dragon's backline much more effective in attack.

The addition of Brid at lock will most certainly add more flair in attack by our forwards.

I am very optimistic with regards to the team's attack in 2021 and even more confident that the new coaching staff will remedy the team's defensive problems.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Agree, and the confidence and belief comes from trying it on during the game. The one game I recall is playing with that attitude was when we blew Broncos off the park. We have been so predictable for nearly a decade now. Love to take advantage of Lomax and the young brigades attack prowess. The brand of football clubs play often is a important factor in recruitment.

Maddragon99

Juniors

Remember the roving role Blacklock used to play? Ramsey would be perfect for that.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
'I was petrified of Hook': How midnight feasts proved making of Sims
Christian Nicolussi
December 21, 2020 — 12.01am
Tariq Sims remembers Anthony Griffin as the coach who shifted him from the wing to the middle of the field.

The bloke who forced him to eat sandwiches in the middle of the night and pile on a staggering 25kg. The man who inspired him to become the under-20s player of the year.

Thirteen years after first crossing paths at the Brisbane Broncos, Sims and Griffin have been re-united at St George Illawarra.

And Sims will not hear a bad word about the Dragons' new coach, who encouraged him chase his league dream rather than ''go back to Gerringong and work and surf with my mates the rest of my life''.

"I moved up to Brisbane for the under-20s at the end of 2007, and 'Hook' was my twenties coach,'' Sims tells the Herald. "I did the pre-season on the wing and I was about 85kg holding two wet shoes and a bucket.

"On my birthday in February I got a fine for driving in a T2 lane. I'd just come from Gerringong where there are no T2 lanes. I was making $315 a week working and I was fined $300.

"Then I pulled into training and Hook says, 'I need to talk to you', so he called me into his office and then politely told me how I'm not a winger and how I should move into the middle.

"He dropped me back to Norths Devils and said I couldn't come back until I was 100kg. They were getting me to wake up in the middle of the night and eat sandwiches. I was bloody petrified of Hook, but at the same time I was determined to prove the prick wrong.

"Halfway through that year I got to 100kg, it was for one game against St George down at WIN Stadium. In 2009, I was started every game off the bench, then in 2010 he turned me into the player of the year.''

Sims felt like a ''charity case'' when he first moved to the Broncos given his brothers Ashton and Korbin were already at Red Hill.

Griffin's directness and honesty gave Tariq the belief in himself. Once he had reached 100kg, Griffin asked him to pile on another 10kg. Griffin's half-time sprays, normally directed at him, made sure Sims kept pushing himself.

"What Hook did was force me to become a better person and player and accountable for my actions,'' Sims said. "I was able to pick up the twenties player of the year, and that was because of the fear I had of his half-time sprays and the desire to play in the famous Broncos jersey.''

"What you see is what you get with Hook. He won't lie to you and will tell you how it is. He expects that in return. The only thing that has changed is he's picked up a few extra jokes. They're terrible, but they're dad jokes so I find them quite hilarious.''

Sims was limited to just nine games last season because of injury. Without James Graham and Tyson Frizell, plus the uncertainty surrounding Jack De Belin, the Dragons will need Sims, who turns 31 early next year and will reach 200 games without injury, to lift again.

This is the first off-season Sims has not required surgery. It is a refreshing change, he says, being able to train the first month rather than being a recovering spectator.

The Dragons missed out on tough Tiger Zane Musgrove and young Panther Spencer Leniu, but have added Jack Bird, who will start life back at the Dragons in the forwards.

Sims said as much as he loved former coach Paul McGregor, 'If there was going to be someone to come in, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else other than Hook''.

BLM01

First Grade
'I was petrified of Hook': How midnight feasts proved making of Sims
Christian Nicolussi
December 21, 2020 — 12.01am
Tariq Sims remembers Anthony Griffin as the coach who shifted him from the wing to the middle of the field.

The bloke who forced him to eat sandwiches in the middle of the night and pile on a staggering 25kg. The man who inspired him to become the under-20s player of the year.

Thirteen years after first crossing paths at the Brisbane Broncos, Sims and Griffin have been re-united at St George Illawarra.

And Sims will not hear a bad word about the Dragons' new coach, who encouraged him chase his league dream rather than ''go back to Gerringong and work and surf with my mates the rest of my life''.

"I moved up to Brisbane for the under-20s at the end of 2007, and 'Hook' was my twenties coach,'' Sims tells the Herald. "I did the pre-season on the wing and I was about 85kg holding two wet shoes and a bucket.

"On my birthday in February I got a fine for driving in a T2 lane. I'd just come from Gerringong where there are no T2 lanes. I was making $315 a week working and I was fined $300.

"Then I pulled into training and Hook says, 'I need to talk to you', so he called me into his office and then politely told me how I'm not a winger and how I should move into the middle.

"He dropped me back to Norths Devils and said I couldn't come back until I was 100kg. They were getting me to wake up in the middle of the night and eat sandwiches. I was bloody petrified of Hook, but at the same time I was determined to prove the prick wrong.

"Halfway through that year I got to 100kg, it was for one game against St George down at WIN Stadium. In 2009, I was started every game off the bench, then in 2010 he turned me into the player of the year.''

Sims felt like a ''charity case'' when he first moved to the Broncos given his brothers Ashton and Korbin were already at Red Hill.

Griffin's directness and honesty gave Tariq the belief in himself. Once he had reached 100kg, Griffin asked him to pile on another 10kg. Griffin's half-time sprays, normally directed at him, made sure Sims kept pushing himself.

"What Hook did was force me to become a better person and player and accountable for my actions,'' Sims said. "I was able to pick up the twenties player of the year, and that was because of the fear I had of his half-time sprays and the desire to play in the famous Broncos jersey.''

"What you see is what you get with Hook. He won't lie to you and will tell you how it is. He expects that in return. The only thing that has changed is he's picked up a few extra jokes. They're terrible, but they're dad jokes so I find them quite hilarious.''

Sims was limited to just nine games last season because of injury. Without James Graham and Tyson Frizell, plus the uncertainty surrounding Jack De Belin, the Dragons will need Sims, who turns 31 early next year and will reach 200 games without injury, to lift again.

This is the first off-season Sims has not required surgery. It is a refreshing change, he says, being able to train the first month rather than being a recovering spectator.

The Dragons missed out on tough Tiger Zane Musgrove and young Panther Spencer Leniu, but have added Jack Bird, who will start life back at the Dragons in the forwards.

Sims said as much as he loved former coach Paul McGregor, 'If there was going to be someone to come in, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else other than Hook''.
Well Tariq. I hope you are still scared of the prick.
The Dragons need it.