What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
I dont know if they already have things in place, but they have to get business to legitimately move in to the area .... they've never really got that to happen .... govt relocated a few things in the past but it wasnt enough

i worked there a few times in the past for both public and private ... the private organisations i worked for up and left cos it wasnt possible to attract a wide part of sydney as employees .... you simply wont get anyone from north, east of south wanting to work there - dunno if limiting to west works - maybe times will change ... there needs to be cross sydney transport options ...... or perhaps companies will move to work from home options and make it more viable

NAB have moved there, and there are cross city transport options in the pipeline. Albeit, a decade away or more. It all takes time and money.
The new commercial towers in Parra Square are largely already leased, in a deal done between Walker and the NSW Govt.

Suitman

Post Whore
My meetings were at Parramatta Square. The department had just moved in and parts of the building were still receiving final touches but the size and scale was phenomenal.

Can't wait to see what the place will be like in another 5-10 years. I tend to agree that a concrete jungle seems highly unlikely.

5 years will see a phenomenal change at Parramatta. Even 2 - 3 years will when the light rail is finished and some of the current under construction 200 mtr + towers are complete.
The amount of restaurants that have already opened in Parra Sq is also impressive and the underground link to the station is already open. Small steps, but amazingly impressive.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It was a shame I was with a couple of other people and had to get out to the airport after the meetings. Was keen to go for a walk around.

strider

Post Whore
NAB have moved there, and there are cross city transport options in the pipeline. Albeit, a decade away or more. It all takes time and money.
The new commercial towers in Parra Square are largely already leased, in a deal done between Walker and the NSW Govt.
Tho its not their headquarters ... which is still in the city ... banks tend to spread - so it might still be a fairbit of the company.

Dunno about the transport ... it takes best part of a decade to make it happen once committed. Cross city stuff is still just a Hay footy tournament .... butmaybe the world is changing and office location 8s less of an issue (though that brings into question how well business towers will even do)

strider

Post Whore
It was a shame I was with a couple of other people and had to get out to the airport after the meetings. Was keen to go for a walk around.
Even when i worked there while it was still a bit of a shithole, i actually liked it (apart from the long commute when i moved to the south) ... it had options. You could shop all you liked. You could go for a walk or exercise ... the improved eateries werent there in my day tho - so thats more a plus (if they open for lunch)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Tho its not their headquarters ... which is still in the city ... banks tend to spread - so it might still be a fairbit of the company.

Dunno about the transport ... it takes best part of a decade to make it happen once committed. Cross city stuff is still just a Hay footy tournament .... butmaybe the world is changing and office location 8s less of an issue (though that brings into question how well business towers will even do)

I don’t see 100% remote working ever being sustainable. Businesses will still need to have a physical base.

strider

Post Whore
I don’t see 100% remote working ever being sustainable. Businesses will still need to have a physical base.
For sure ... but i suspect alot of companies are discovering that wfh is an option and you could potentially have a much smaller footprint for at least part of your business

But conversely i think a parge part of the employees are also finding wfh isnt all its cracked up to be (aka kids lol)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
For sure ... but i suspect alot of companies are discovering that wfh is an option and you could potentially have a much smaller footprint for at least part of your business

But conversely i think a parge part of the employees are also finding wfh isnt all its cracked up to be (aka kids lol)
Agree. Will be interesting to see what the typical workplace will look like on the other side of this pandemic.

Gronk

Staff member
IMO North Sydney and Chatswood have failed in their attempts to become great cities. They are uninspiring and do not attract visitors other than those who go to work or Westfields. Great cities need to be more than just big. They need to be exciting and offer reasons for punters to live and visit.

Some cities are geographically blessed with harbours or beaches, some have great architecture or history. Hence why Newcastle is a great city.

upload_2021-1-4_11-18-16.jpeg

Some cities like Melbourne just have a buzz about them. The intangible je ne sais quoi that acts as a magnet to the punters. It’s certainly not the river that makes Melbourne a great city, so there’s hope for Parramatta. :thumbsup:

So hopefully town planners have done enough to boost Parramatta to give merkins a reason to visit with places of interest, open spaces, great retail precincts (not allow Westfields suck the life out of the rest of the city !), promote its history (not knock down old buildings to make way for glass structures and light rail :grimacing:)

So it remains to be seen if Parramatta is a place worth visiting and exploring as towers of workers and residents is not enough.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If Parramatta can’t do it then there isn’t a lot of hope for the rest of Sydney. It absolutely should be Sydney’s ‘Second City’.

Noise

Coach
Parramatta is considered Sydney's 'second city' but I can't see too many overseas tourists adding it to their lists of must do's when in Sydney.

T-Boon

Coach
I submit that Parramatta has become a better place to live since the Northconnect opened as you can be out of the city traffic within about 10 minutes and on the M2 south or now with Northconnect the M1 north.
What other parts of the city can you say that.

Noise

Coach
I submit that Parramatta has become a better place to live since the Northconnect opened as you can be out of the city traffic within about 10 minutes and on the M2 south or now with Northconnect the M1 north.
Are you saying the best part about Parramatta is that you can get the f**k out of there quickly?

T-Boon

Coach
Parramatta is considered Sydney's 'second city' but I can't see too many overseas tourists adding it to their lists of must do's when in Sydney.

If Sydney and Parramatta are to be thought of as separate cities you could argue (I think) that Parramatta hosted the Olympics while Sydney still has not the dumb bastards.

strider

Post Whore
Harris Park

T-Boon

Coach
Are you saying the best part about Parramatta is that you can get the f**k out of there quickly?

Not necessarily the best part (the stadium is best best) But it’s a f**king good feature.
The worst part of going to games for me is always pennant hills road. That’s the worst part of every game day even when we lose by 30 and our best player gets injured by colliding with our other best player. Pennant hills road is still the worst part of that days experience.
Cutting it out entirely is massive.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Most overseas tourists only visit Sydney, Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef (Cairns).

T-Boon

Coach
Most overseas tourists only visit Sydney, Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef (Cairns).

The best Parra can hope for is to tack onto Sydney and be a must visit part of a tourists 5 day stay in the city. Maybe Parramatta could have like the best Reptile Park in the world or something. merkins who come out here want to see our beaches our snakes our crocodiles and our women.

strider

Post Whore
The best Parra can hope for is to tack onto Sydney and be a must visit part of a tourists 5 day stay in the city. Maybe Parramatta could have like the best Reptile Park in the world or something. merkins who come out here want to see our beaches our snakes our crocodiles and our women.
Pennant Hills has the Koala Park ffs - its only 5 minutes drive from Parra now!!

Maybe we could build an eel park at parra .... have an aquarium type tunnel under the parramatta river