What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Surely you can see this discussion has run its race?? It seems pretty clear cut where most people’s opinions lie on the topic
What are you proposing? Delete the thread, lock it?

I'm opposed to ending a discussion just because someone doesn't want it to continue, especially when that person has the freedom to simply not click on the thread link.

TruSaint

Referee
The three reasons the Dragons aborted the signing of Folau
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer

There are three reasons why the St George Illawarra board was spooked about pursuing Israel Folau. The really frightening part is it didn’t see them coming.

First, the board sensed an ugly, protracted war with the NRL, which never really had an appetite for bringing back the controversial code-hopping 31-year-old despite head office’s public comments about “due process” and “natural justice”.

It has been suggested to this column the NRL wanted the Dragons to indemnify the game against any potential sponsorship losses if Folau did return, although both the NRL and club deny this.

But the Dragons certainly believed the NRL was throwing up enough prohibitive obstacles to ensure the path to signing Folau was long and costly.

It is understood the NRL wanted to see copies of Folau’s contracts with Rugby Australia and Catalans, as well as relevant reports from human resources. The Dragons felt they were being buried in paperwork.

Just how far were they prepared to go? The past two years of backing Jack de Belin has been tough enough. Would they now do the same for Folau, who wasn’t even on their books?

0314a604c398308006124781e206eb324920daef

Israel Folau wanted to return to the NRL via the Dragons.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

The second reason was pride, which some at the embattled joint venture still have, thankfully.

They baulked when they realised Folau’s manager, Wayne Beavis, who also represents coach Anthony Griffin, had first shopped Folau to the Broncos and Titans.

That makes sense: Folau returned to Australia just before Christmas because his mother-in-law, who lives in Brisbane, has fallen ill.

But some at the Dragons are old enough to remember a time when their club would never allow itself to be third cab off the rank, especially for a player who left the Wallabies high and dry on the eve of the World Cup.

The third reason came down to football, which was once a critical factor in signing a footballer.

When some of the experienced football people at the Dragons saw vision of Folau playing in the Super League for Catalans, they were dismayed.

Sure, Folau still moves like the wind, but defensively he looked out of place playing rugby league for the first time in a decade. The coaches at Catalans were concerned about his inclination to tackle low, a hangover from his time in rugby union.

The Dragons board weeks ago green-lighted the pursuit of Folau but, at an extraordinary meeting on Wednesday night, shelved the idea a day after the Herald broke the story about the negotiations.

What did it honestly expect? For it to be all rainbows and unicorns as the most divisive figure in Australian sport quietly slipped into a Red V jumper and popped up on the team sheet?

Chief executive Ryan Webb seems like a good operator, but he’s inexperienced in rugby league matters and allowed the coach to take the running on Folau, although Griffin was ultimately over-ruled by the board. Perhaps the coach was trying to make a point about something in pursuing Folau.

At the very least, the events of this week stirred up the same old tired debate about why Folau should be allowed to play in the NRL.

This next line will be unpopular but I believe there’s a place for Folau in the game. Nobody deserves a red line through their name forever.

But it can only happen after he shows some genuine understanding of how damaging his views about homosexuality can be. Social media clauses and verbal promises are not enough.

But it’s not being inclusive if you stop him from playing!

“Inclusiveness” does not include letting people into the tent who want to exclude others. Or, in Folau’s case, saying they will burn in hell for something they do not have a choice over. By that reckoning, the game must allow Nazi sympathisers and card-carrying members of the KKK into its competition all in the name of “inclusiveness”.

But we let people with criminal records waltz back into the game!

Players like Matt Lodge spent three years on the sidelines, or in lower grades, as well as undergoing psychological analysis and courses and what not. It might be box-ticking, sure, but he didn’t just walk back into the NRL as the Dragons had hoped with Folau.

Revelations about the Dragons’ interest in Folau predictably sparked interest from other clubs wanting to sign him.

The NRL won’t say it publicly but it hopes the events of this week mean they, too, will quietly drop off.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ted-the-signing-of-folau-20210204-p56ziz.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer

There are three reasons why the St George Illawarra board was spooked about pursuing Israel Folau. The really frightening part is it didn’t see them coming.

First, the board sensed an ugly, protracted war with the NRL, which never really had an appetite for bringing back the controversial code-hopping 31-year-old despite head office’s public comments about “due process” and “natural justice”.

It has been suggested to this column the NRL wanted the Dragons to indemnify the game against any potential sponsorship losses if Folau did return, although both the NRL and club deny this.

But the Dragons certainly believed the NRL was throwing up enough prohibitive obstacles to ensure the path to signing Folau was long and costly.

It is understood the NRL wanted to see copies of Folau’s contracts with Rugby Australia and Catalans, as well as relevant reports from human resources. The Dragons felt they were being buried in paperwork.

Just how far were they prepared to go? The past two years of backing Jack de Belin has been tough enough. Would they now do the same for Folau, who wasn’t even on their books?

The second reason was pride, which some at the embattled joint venture still have, thankfully.

They baulked when they realised Folau’s manager, Wayne Beavis, who also represents coach Anthony Griffin, had first shopped Folau to the Broncos and Titans.

That makes sense: Folau returned to Australia just before Christmas because his mother-in-law, who lives in Brisbane, has fallen ill.

But some at the Dragons are old enough to remember a time when their club would never allow itself to be third cab off the rank, especially for a player who left the Wallabies high and dry on the eve of the World Cup.

The third reason came down to football, which was once a critical factor in signing a footballer.

When some of the experienced football people at the Dragons saw vision of Folau playing in the Super League for Catalans, they were dismayed.

Sure, Folau still moves like the wind, but defensively he looked out of place playing rugby league for the first time in a decade. The coaches at Catalans were concerned about his inclination to tackle low, a hangover from his time in rugby union.

The Dragons board weeks ago green-lighted the pursuit of Folau but, at an extraordinary meeting on Wednesday night, shelved the idea a day after the Herald broke the story about the negotiations.

What did it honestly expect? For it to be all rainbows and unicorns as the most divisive figure in Australian sport quietly slipped into a Red V jumper and popped up on the team sheet?

Chief executive Ryan Webb seems like a good operator, but he’s inexperienced in rugby league matters and allowed the coach to take the running on Folau, although Griffin was ultimately over-ruled by the board. Perhaps the coach was trying to make a point about something in pursuing Folau.

At the very least, the events of this week stirred up the same old tired debate about why Folau should be allowed to play in the NRL.

This next line will be unpopular but I believe there’s a place for Folau in the game. Nobody deserves a red line through their name forever.

But it can only happen after he shows some genuine understanding of how damaging his views about homosexuality can be. Social media clauses and verbal promises are not enough.

“Inclusiveness” does not include letting people into the tent who want to exclude others. Or, in Folau’s case, saying they will burn in hell for something they do not have a choice over. By that reckoning, the game must allow Nazi sympathisers and card-carrying members of the KKK into its competition all in the name of “inclusiveness”.

Players like Matt Lodge spent three years on the sidelines, or in lower grades, as well as undergoing psychological analysis and courses and what not. It might be box-ticking, sure, but he didn’t just walk back into the NRL as the Dragons had hoped with Folau.

Revelations about the Dragons’ interest in Folau predictably sparked interest from other clubs wanting to sign him.

The NRL won’t say it publicly but it hopes the events of this week mean they, too, will quietly drop off.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ted-the-signing-of-folau-20210204-p56ziz.html
So this author doesn't think the fan response had any influence.

boardlumps62

Juniors

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer

Am I to believe what Andrew Webster has to say on this matter. Frankly I don't like the guy.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I was watching a movie and then this word freedom came up I thought it had something to do with fiefdoms but I was wrong.
But that's funny in itself when we think about the ARL and NRL and the meaning off fiefdom
noun
  1. 1.
    HISTORICAL•LAW
    a fief.

2. 2.
    a territory or sphere of operation controlled by a particular person or group.
    "a mafia boss who has turned the town into his private fiefdom"
Then we have Freedom as I relate to Speech here we go

freedom (n.)
the condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints;
freedom (n.)
immunity from an obligation or duty;

I think sort explains why some people thought Issy was hard done by. My opinion only.

redv13

Bench
What are you proposing? Delete the thread, lock it?

I'm opposed to ending a discussion just because someone doesn't want it to continue, especially when that person has the freedom to simply not click on the thread link.
I wasn’t the only one but carry on chatting.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I wasn’t the only one but carry on chatting.
I will. Thanks for the green light.

Didn't answer my question. That's fine.
Not singling you out. So chill.
Thank you again for your contribution.

TruSaint

Referee
I was watching a movie and then this word freedom came up I thought it had something to do with fiefdoms but I was wrong.
But that's funny in itself when we think about the ARL and NRL and the meaning off fiefdom
noun
  1. 1.
    HISTORICAL•LAW
    a fief.

2. 2.
    a territory or sphere of operation controlled by a particular person or group.
    "a mafia boss who has turned the town into his private fiefdom"
Then we have Freedom as I relate to Speech here we go

freedom (n.)
the condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints;
freedom (n.)
immunity from an obligation or duty;

I think sort explains why some people thought Issy was hard done by. My opinion only.

He has the right to say what he wishes.

He has the right to post on on social media parts of scripture that suit him.

Private entities have the right to employ those whom to the company are inclusive and beneficial.

No one's "rights" have been infringed.

If he believes that he has been wronged, then expect another "gofundme" site like he did with the ACL in his Union dispute.

Last time he raised over 2 million.
Funny that for a wealthy " servant " he depended on the public to raise money.

Spare me any sympathy for Izzy.

be55

Juniors
Over the last 48 hours there has been some pretty full on opinions on both sides of the argument and usually placid, pleasant members are starting to get a little testy.
You know shit's getting real when Gareth67 starts telling people to f@#k off...i nearly fell off the chair when i read that...my first thought was he must have been hacked or something...

I guess that's what a divisive topic like this can do...it turns the most respectful and pleasant forum member into a blood thirsty commoner like the rest of us...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in the swamp soon....

Just kidding Gareth :wink:

redv13

Bench
I will. Thanks for the green light.

Didn't answer my question. That's fine.
Not singling you out. So chill.
Thank you again for your contribution.
I’m chilled as Willow. Good people on here have been getting a little crazy over the last 48 hours but hey that’s just my opinion. Cheers

TruSaint

Referee
You know shit's getting real when Gareth67 starts telling people to f@#k off...i nearly fell off the chair when i read that...my first thought was he must have been hacked or something...

I guess that's what a divisive topic like this can do...it turns the most respectful and pleasant forum member into blood thirsty commoners like the rest of us...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in the swamp soon....

Just kidding Gareth :wink:

It's a heated subject for good reason.

Brushing it aside will be temporary.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
So this author doesn't think the fan response had any influence.

yeah...this bloke has no idea. I’m pretty sure the club would’ve received a barrage of emails and calls (me being one of them...first time I’ve ever reached out to the club to voice my concerns...even through 10 years of Chinless and McFlop)

Gippsy

Bench
It's so good to see that you're an advocate for equal rights for LGBT folk.

I suspect that now you agree that Australia shouldn't go back to the dark days of the 1990s when gays were treated like criminals.

Although a return to those days would most likely make Folau happy.

I hope this isn t creating too much of a conflict for you.

I'm sorry, but what the hell has my opinions on any of this got to do with anything? And, please don't be a smartarse and go assuming what my opinions are, or what my position on gays/LGBt folk is. Quite frankly its none of your business.

This is about Folau and him being persecuted for making an opinion that is shared by a lot of people. Oh, and a little thing called freedom of speech, which is going down the gurgler more and more in this country.

But it looks like its no longer an issue for us Dragons supporters.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yeah...this bloke has no idea. I’m pretty sure the club would’ve received a barrage of emails and calls (me being one of them...first time I’ve ever reached out to the club to voice my concerns...even through 10 years of Chinless and McFlop)
There was a time when the Club had an uneasy affiliation with the fans. It was sometimes a strained relationship, but at least we were on talking terms.

But things changed.

I posted earlier in this thread that the Club doesn't really care what the fans think.

Then I thought maybe fans found a voice and had an influence by tying up their emails and phones. Doubtful if the Club will ever admit to it.

Either way, fans are treated like customers nowadays.

When the Club started going down that path some 20 years ago, I said "careful what you wish for."

boardlumps62

Juniors
He has the right to say what he wishes.

He has the right to post on on social media parts of scripture that suit him.

Private entities have the right to employ those whom to the company are inclusive and beneficial.

No one's "rights" have been infringed.

If he believes that he has been wronged, then expect another "gofundme" site like he did with the ACL in his Union dispute.

Last time he raised over 2 million.
Funny that for a wealthy " servant " he depended on the public to raise money.

Spare me any sympathy for Izzy.
I guess that's a no from you.