What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would everyone consider a disappointing result this season?

rasaint

Juniors
It doesn’t matter who is coach you need the ‘cattle’. Griffin has inherited a difficult situation.

We do not have a powerful running back rower in current squad. Jackson Ford looked so so with a few limited NRL chances last year. Our pack is made up of players who are ok but none top class. Cam McInnes is a strong tackling lock. He will keep courageously playing hard in 2021 but no attacking threat.

We don’t have a strike centre. The much touted Zac Lomax goes ok and occasionally does a class catch or run a good line but usually pretty up and down. I still think his defence against a class centre is questionable. Zac will probably be made captain.The hopes around the Feagai brothers are yet to be understood one way or another. Dufty and Ramsey are both fullbacks in my view. Probably Duff will be the one to go 2022.

JDB issues continues to drag on.

Yes the club is ‘rebuilding’ but no one appears to want to sign on, other than some chaps who weren’t able to crack the starting team in other clubs. 2018 is the last year we were able to field a good competitive side that had sufficient class players.

Jack Bird when fit is very good. Two ACLs I can not see him lasting as a regular player. Probably going to have a 30 year old McCullough as hooker.

Perhaps 2022 will be a much better year with what must be a huge ‘war chest’ to retain proven 2021 juniors or buy in a couple of proven class players ( particularly as Cory probably not resigned).

That’s reality folks.

possm

Coach
In all honesty,I believe we’ll be spoon favourites. Anything other than coming last will be a bonus in 2021. Our forwards & spine are underwhelming.
It seems that you are to be surprised at our well our forwards will do under this new coaching staff and also how talented and speedy our young outside backs are.

Norman and Hunt will fire under Griffin because, like Bennett, he is able to devise game plans that utilises their strenghts and avoids their weaknesses.

I'm predicting a top four finish in 2021 if McInnes moves on before season start.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It seems that you are to be surprised at our well our forwards will do under this new coaching staff and also how talented and speedy our young outside backs are.

Norman and Hunt will fire under Griffin because, like Bennett, he is able to devise game plans that utilises their strenghts and avoids their weaknesses.

I'm predicting a top four finish in 2021 if McInnes moves on before season start.
I admire your optimism Possm, but I seemed to have lost faith after the last 10 years of disappointment. I feel we still need an injection of grunt into our forward pack.

borat

Bench

This won’t age well

Kylez3

Juniors

You can't seriously be this delusional. Surely you're playing a character at this point.

since77

Juniors
Personally I’m going to go into each game with a beer and a sigh of relief that McGregor is finally, actually gone.
It can’t get any worse than what McGregor “coached” the last 2 years.
It just can’t!

BLM01

First Grade

Did you not want Hunt and Norman to be swapped to other clubs before Round 1.?

In all honesty,I believe we’ll be spoon favourites. Anything other than coming last will be a bonus in 2021. Our forwards & spine are underwhelming.
I was basing my pick of a 7th place finish entirely on the effect a new competent coach will have.. I have to agree there are weaknesses all over the park which could show up as the season progresses, so a much lower finish is on the cards. I guess I am just being optimistic.

jak

Bench

just how do the sharks find the cap space for Mclinnes this season?

possm

Coach
just how do the sharks find the cap space for Mclinnes this season?
By swapping a player of similar value with the Dragons.
By letting a player of similar value go.
By cheating like they have done so well in the past.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If JDB gets off and plays most of the season, the Saints will be top 8. He is a huge inclusion. But that is a big if.

kit66

Bench
I don't think the expectation of a top 8 finish is unreasonable. We won 7 /20 last year to finish 12th - if we'd scored just 10 points more we'd have jumped the Tiges into 11th and our for and against was 40+ points better than the teams in 9th and 10th ( Warriors, Titans ).
The Sharkies won 10 / 20 to finish in 8th spot.
We lost 4 games by 4 points or less and another 3 by 8 or less and 1 by 10 points - that's 8 close games that a well drilled team could have won. We also lost 2 games against the Doggies and NZ where we just capitulated totally - both games saw Mary playing silly buggers with people out of position e.g. Norman fullback, K.Sims starting prop, Aitken and Isaac Luke on the bench etc. and we made heaps of errors. I think that Doggies game was the catalyst for Graham to say later losers.

So we need to win say just over half our games at least - 14 / 24 ( plus the bye ) which would see us in 7th or 8th based on previous years. The Broncs won 11/24 + a draw to make the 8 in 2019 but 15/24 was needed in 2018.
That's doable folks. New coach, some exciting young backs, halves that can perform given some worthwhile direction and a cunning game plan ( as opposed to Maryball ). Plus half our games this year are day games in which we traditionally do well. Totally doable. And if JDB returns it's a certainty.

Realistically speaking I'd be very disappointed with anything below 10th but I'm optimistic for a Top 8 berth.

I wouldn't usually quote myself but there's some stats and info in that post that I'd like to add to.

I've been at it again, watching replays of some of our 2020 games I missed or blocked from memory. Looking for answers I guess but mostly for hope for the year ahead. I think I found some.
I mention above that we lost 7 games by 8 points or less and 1 by 10. If a couple of things had gone our way we could have won at least 4 of those and ended in 8th spot on the ladder on 22 points.
We were clearly robbed in the Cronulla game when Dufty grounded the ball in our in goal but the idiots in the bunker awarded a try to the opposition. We lost the game against the Cowboys by 1 point but embarrassingly bombed two tries we absolutely should have scored - Ravs drops one, line open and Norman passes to Aitkens knees ( mind you Clune was in support but held back ). We bombed potential match winning tries against Penrith and Raiders and led the Titans 10-4 with 6 minutes to go and threw it away. I'll remind you also that we had virtually a different line up each week with people out of position or dropped or injured.
All this happened in a year where we were diabolical in most games. Some great attack sure but the more I watch it becomes more apparent just how amateurish and woeful our defence was. Just horrific.
the commentators were either incredulous and sometimes even bagging us for our schoolboy quality defence. No line speed apart from occasional busrts from McInnes, it's like the boys were told " wait for them to come to you, don't rush up " and our kick chase must have been the worst in the league, rarely a straight line and no pressure on the receiver. Hunt and Norman ( when together ) won the kicking stats nearly every game, giving us great field position only for the opposition to roll back up the park with ease - 50, 60 even 70 metre sets were common against us.
Secondly, our attack was quite good but our execution and discipline weren't anywhere near the top teams. We bombed a stack of tries and opportunities. So many errors at crucial times. Rav, Hunt, Norman and especially Lomax just handed over the ball time after time.
If Hook can't fix our defence we're doomed but if he can as well as tidy up our attack then we have a good base to build on and a real chance of making the 8.
My concern though is our pack. We need 1 or 2 big tough, experienced props. There's none on the market unfortunately. If we miss the 8, that'll be why.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Couldn’t agree more. Our chasing of often strong kicks and our soft defence was so poor; traditionally two good yardsticks in measuring attitude. Hopefully there’s a different energy vibe in the camp with Griffin.

This other centre spots an important one. Aitkens lack of passing skill put huge pressure on others to try to convert half chances leading to many mistakes and momentum and confidence loss.