What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would everyone consider a disappointing result this season?

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I wouldn't usually quote myself but there's some stats and info in that post that I'd like to add to.

I've been at it again, watching replays of some of our 2020 games I missed or blocked from memory. Looking for answers I guess but mostly for hope for the year ahead. I think I found some.
I mention above that we lost 7 games by 8 points or less and 1 by 10. If a couple of things had gone our way we could have won at least 4 of those and ended in 8th spot on the ladder on 22 points.
We were clearly robbed in the Cronulla game when Dufty grounded the ball in our in goal but the idiots in the bunker awarded a try to the opposition. We lost the game against the Cowboys by 1 point but embarrassingly bombed two tries we absolutely should have scored - Ravs drops one, line open and Norman passes to Aitkens knees ( mind you Clune was in support but held back ). We bombed potential match winning tries against Penrith and Raiders and led the Titans 10-4 with 6 minutes to go and threw it away. I'll remind you also that we had virtually a different line up each week with people out of position or dropped or injured.
All this happened in a year where we were diabolical in most games. Some great attack sure but the more I watch it becomes more apparent just how amateurish and woeful our defence was. Just horrific.
the commentators were either incredulous and sometimes even bagging us for our schoolboy quality defence. No line speed apart from occasional busrts from McInnes, it's like the boys were told " wait for them to come to you, don't rush up " and our kick chase must have been the worst in the league, rarely a straight line and no pressure on the receiver. Hunt and Norman ( when together ) won the kicking stats nearly every game, giving us great field position only for the opposition to roll back up the park with ease - 50, 60 even 70 metre sets were common against us.
Secondly, our attack was quite good but our execution and discipline weren't anywhere near the top teams. We bombed a stack of tries and opportunities. So many errors at crucial times. Rav, Hunt, Norman and especially Lomax just handed over the ball time after time.
If Hook can't fix our defence we're doomed but if he can as well as tidy up our attack then we have a good base to build on and a real chance of making the 8.
My concern though is our pack. We need 1 or 2 big tough, experienced props. There's none on the market unfortunately. If we miss the 8, that'll be why.

Fantastic post, none of that doom and gloom that’s been infecting the forum lately. Some people just struggle to see the positives. We won’t be world beaters overnight, but there’s much to suggest a marked improvement on the good ol’ days of Maryball

Interesting the stat concerning Hunt and Norman’s kicking game, id love to know the percentage of long kicks that found open space as opposed to caught on the full. It’s great to have a dominant long kicking game, but you have to find regular space and make the opposing back three work for their field position instead of handing them an easy 20 metre return and momentum leading into the set

That’s where Dufty for all his speed is so poor for mine. Too many times his positional play was sorely lacking, in his inability to get to the ball on the full and capitalise. Think of Slater and the amount of balls he caught on the full, whether that’s instinct or utilisation of his speed or a combination of the two, that’s what you need from a guy who doesn’t have the size. He’s got to be smarter and take advantage of the attributes he has, otherwise Ramsey will lap him

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Couldn’t agree more. Our chasing of often strong kicks and our soft defence was so poor; traditionally two good yardsticks in measuring attitude. Hopefully there’s a different energy vibe in the camp with Griffin.

This other centre spots an important one. Aitkens lack of passing skill put huge pressure on others to try to convert half chances leading to many mistakes and momentum and confidence loss.

What was it? 5 tries on the left side all year or something equally abysmal? I reckon if Ford gets a birth on that edge he’ll double that himself, that boy can find the line

kit66

Bench
Couldn’t agree more. Our chasing of often strong kicks and our soft defence was so poor; traditionally two good yardsticks in measuring attitude. Hopefully there’s a different energy vibe in the camp with Griffin.

This other centre spots an important one. Aitkens lack of passing skill put huge pressure on others to try to convert half chances leading to many mistakes and momentum and confidence loss.

If Bird plays lock I'd put Max Feagai at left centre, he'll do the job for us, plenty of talent, big and strong ( 98kgs ). Hitman in defence and a weapon in attack.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
If Bird plays lock I'd put Max Feagai at left centre, he'll do the job for us, plenty of talent, big and strong ( 98kgs ). Hitman in defence and a weapon in attack.
Agree, pretty impressive in his debut; haven’t seen enough of him to really comment but always bias towards tough defensive centres: ....Ferguson, Quinn and Finch; Chris John’s; Beattie; Cooper; the Penguin....

Latest posts