What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Como Connection

First Grade
If the Broncos don't release Macca for 1.8 million they are A holes, if we sign him for that we are idiots. 200k extra and we could have got McInnes for 4 years. If we sign McCullough for 3 years that will near be me done. We already have one massively overpaid Brisbane player don't need another. Im beginning to have serious doubts about Hook unfortunately. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now as this could be all part of the media's agenda against him but we have some super good juniors atm probably the best batch since the Morris boys, Cooper, Gasnier and co all come through, it is very important we don't stuff this up.
I'm sure he is looking for leadership, so obvious, let it happen I say.
CC

if the donkies release am to us they will be chasing cs hard.
tits are also after him for the same reason.leadership.
also true to say no one has a clue what smith is doing

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
How would McGinnes feel. Being told he is not wanted because he doesn't suit Hooks style as a hooker. Brings McCullough from Broncos over paid and over aged where does that put McGinnes. I'd say he goes to Sharks earlier that proposed. Don't like it at all.

On-field leadership is a valuable commodity and seriously lacking in the McInnes led Dragons (and the Widdop and Frizzell led Dragons as well for that matter). I have my reservations about McCullough like everyone else but if he can be the urger/drover's dog that gets us up and keeps us going, he may be worth the money.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Hunt feeling confident under Griffin's leadership

DRAGONS

Hunt hooked on familiarity
Author
Edward Tannous Dragons junior reporter
Timestamp
Thu 11 Feb 2021, 04:15 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra halfback Ben Hunt will take on the 2021 NRL season in a familiar setting under the guidance of his former Brisbane Broncos coach, Anthony Griffin.

The 30-year-old half says that the culture that Griffin has built at the club is more enjoyable but also straight forward and disciplined.

This disciplined approach by the new coach aims to get the most out of his squad and in the best way possible, according to Hunt.

"It's been great having him back here, it's been a real enjoyable place to be. There's a real buzz and excitement of change and something new," Hunt said.

"He's very clear about what he wants, he tells you how it is and expects all of his players to stay in line which makes it really enjoyable and pushes us to put our best foot forward.

"He's created an environment that he had back at the Broncos."

Griffin led the Broncos to a preliminary final in his first year as coach and will be hoping to have a similar effect with the Red V.

Confidence and certainty is something coach Griffin has provided to Ben Hunt this pre-season and believes that the number 7 jumper best suits him.

"It definitely gives you a lot of confidence that the head coach and all the coaching staff are really backing you to play [halfback]" Hunt said.

"It gives you a spring in your step right from the get-go."

With Adam Clune, Junior Amone, Jayden Sullivan and Corey Norman keeping Hunt on his toes, competitiveness and depth are not something the Dragons lack.

"Training's been great. All the boys are competing really hard," Hunt said.

"We have had a lot of runs with each other and against each other and now it's about getting out there and playing the trials to see what happens when the bullets start firing."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/11/hunt-hooked-on-familiarity/

qld redvee

Juniors
"He's very clear about what he wants“.
Must a revolutionary concept to players who have only played under McGregor.
Red
also sums up in " the culture griffin has built at the club is MORE enjoyable but also straight forward and disciplined " -- Griffin has turned things around in 3 months really shows how bad the lost years were under no name

and 'its been good having griffin back here its been a real enjoyable place to be . theres a real buzz and excitement of change and someting new ... Yet I thought last year after that american junket old whats his name came back with so much cutting edge ideas - why lets remember the classic - leave your dirty footprints everywhere philosophy
makes you wonder just how little did our coaching group know / implement and even worse how did the ceo and board sit around and allow the mediocrity to flourish !!

sounds like our once mighty club may just be coming out of hibernation
In HOOK we trust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG RIG

Juniors
With McInnes now out for the season we lack serious forward depth

8.Josh Kerr
10.Paul Vaughan

11.Jackson Ford
12.Tariq Sims
13.Jack Bird ?

14.Blake Lawrie
15.Daniel Alvaro
16.Trent Merrin
17.Poasa Faamusili

18.Kaide Ellis
19.Tyrell Fuimaono
20.Eddie Blacker
21.Hayden Lomax

We have now lost McInnes, Graham, Frizell, K Sims and De Belin all in the space of a yr

Personally I don’t think Jack De Belin will come back and therefore I think we are wasting a roster spot

I would be asking the NRL for compensation for McInnes considering the Rorters look likely of getting theirs

I would be spending the rest of our cap space all on forwards and nothing else

Backs wise we are well stocked IMO

1. Matt Dufty
2. Cody Ramsey
3. Zac Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Mikaele Ravalawa

Depth
1. Matt Feagai
2. Jordan Periera
3. Brayden Williame
4. Shaun Sauni Esau

Dummy Half Stocks

1. Andrew McCullough
2. Billy Brittain
3. Ben Hunt
4. Hayden Lomax

Halves Stocks

1. Corey Norman
2. Ben Hunt
3. Adam Clune
4. Jayden Sullivan
5. Junior Amone

Forwards I can think of that we could target

1. Josh McGuire
2. Billy Magoulias

Gareth67

First Grade
Personally I’d start Fuimaono at 13 until Bird is ready to play big minutes

Agree , lock or anywhere in the 17 , the quicker he plays in first grade the better as we need his hulking frame and mobility , in short he will give our pack that extra bit of oomph.

Old Timer

Coach
Hunt to 9 & Mc Cullough to 13 and rotate them in and out of DH depending on the situation.

Sullivan or Clune into the halves and depending on which one Norman is either half or 5/8..

Do this until Bird is ready to get a starting spot.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Terrible news for him (McInnes) with his injury and wish him the best. However, was not convinced he would be playing with us this year anyway. Personally, don’t think he was an effective lock forward due to his size and skills set.

With Merrin (who i never thought was ever a lock) Faamausili, Lawrie, Alvaro, Ellis and Blacker as back ups props to Vaughan, i like the idea that someone else mentioned of turning Kerr into into a running second rower.

Move Ford to lock with a more roving commission and therefore align with the theory of having a fast mobile back row to accommodate new rule changes....

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Ford to 13 and if Faamausili can play on an edge until Bird is fit enough to play 80 then that could be an option to rotate them.

Wholesale change don’t work.

If anything was learnt from McFail then that was it...

redVinme

Bench
Anyone saying mccinnes wasn't an effective lock is nuts. He literally won rlpa lock of the year judged by his peers. I feel the players would have more scope than us.

Latest posts