What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Crashtest

Juniors
Yeo isn't moving anytime soon.

I know I’m a biased Panthers supporter, but I wouldn’t swap Yeo with any other lock in the NRL.

Jake Trbojevic is picked as the best Australian and NSW lock, but I would still have Yeo over him. Yeo in 2020 in his first full season as a starting lock averaged 13 hit ups, 140m, 40 tackles at 94.4%. Jake averaged 11 hit ups, 117m, 43 tackles at 94.5%.

Both play the link up role with their halves, but Yeo has better footwork and sidestep from his centre days to cause missed tackles and line breaks in the middle.

I know Taumalolo runs more metres than any of them, but he plays a different role compared to how the Panthers used their lock in attack.

panthersam

Juniors
I know I’m a biased Panthers supporter, but I wouldn’t swap Yeo with any other lock in the NRL.

Jake Trbojevic is picked as the best Australian and NSW lock, but I would still have Yeo over him. Yeo in 2020 in his first full season as a starting lock averaged 13 hit ups, 140m, 40 tackles at 94.4%. Jake averaged 11 hit ups, 117m, 43 tackles at 94.5%.

Both play the link up role with their halves, but Yeo has better footwork and sidestep from his centre days to cause missed tackles and line breaks in the middle.

I know Taumalolo runs more metres than any of them, but he plays a different role compared to how the Panthers used their lock in attack.

I would agree too, what the lock role will be going forward I think Yeo is probably the perfect prototype with his mix of skills, footwork but also toughness needed to play in the middle.

The new speed of the game seemed to hurt Jake T last season so I’m actually very interested to see what direction he heads in 2021.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I would agree too, what the lock role will be going forward I think Yeo is probably the perfect prototype with his mix of skills, footwork but also toughness needed to play in the middle.

The new speed of the game seemed to hurt Jake T last season so I’m actually very interested to see what direction he heads in 2021.

I agree. I think he’s the best genuine 13 in the game. I view JT as a prop.

I’d not want anyone else.

I didn’t think anyone would ever take the 13 jersey off Scott Sattler my all time favourite Panthers team, but Yeo has done it.

panthersam

Juniors
He was the best a couple of years back, along with Taumalolo, but he was rubbish in 2020. Maybe he'll come back.

He probably had the biggest drop in form out of anyone from 2019 to 2020, I wonder if Yeo will be able to unsettle him as the 13 in the rep teams going forward - would love to see it!

panthersam

Juniors
I love having Yeo and wouldn't trade him for anyone but I will say Jurbo was let down by a bad Manly team last year.

Although they were terrible, Jurbo’s own performance were way down on what he produced in his career so far - he has always been consistently good regardless of how the team he is playing in is going but that wasn’t the case for the first time in 2020.

The_Frog

First Grade
He probably had the biggest drop in form out of anyone from 2019 to 2020, I wonder if Yeo will be able to unsettle him as the 13 in the rep teams going forward - would love to see it!
Yeo had more impact from centre in the 3rd game last year.

MugaB

Coach

I agree on Yeo, and apparently JT will have a different role this year according to coach payten, maybe he'll be on an edge, since Gavin Cooper has retired

panthersam

Juniors
I agree on Yeo, and apparently JT will have a different role this year according to coach payten, maybe he'll be on an edge, since Gavin Cooper has retired

What I took out of those quotes from Payten is that they might be limiting his minutes to make him more effective when he is on the field as opposed to moving him to an edge.

MugaB

Coach
What I took out of those quotes from Payten is that they might be limiting his minutes to make him more effective when he is on the field as opposed to moving him to an edge.
Well they aren't winning games with him barging through the middle with JT, and knowing Payten, a massive wreaking ball is more useful on the edge like kikau is for us running over little itty bitty halves and centres, Instead of the bulk of the forward pack, wrapping up Tamololo

WestyLife

First Grade
Well they aren't winning games with him barging through the middle with JT, and knowing Payten, a massive wreaking ball is more useful on the edge like kikau is for us running over little itty bitty halves and centres, Instead of the bulk of the forward pack, wrapping up Tamololo
This. JT13 on an edge, like Kikau, would be insanely dangerous.

MugaB

Coach
This. JT13 on an edge, like Kikau, would be insanely dangerous.
Paytens no dummy, if we didn't have Ivan, i'd be looking to get him in to coach, i love his cander, absolutely no Bullshit! He gets in and ripps into everything and everyone, not afraid of the media, and tell it how it is, i actually wished he stayed at the warriors, the comp needs a strong Auckland to keep the juniors rolling in from there instead of porting into RU.
Hopefully Gus waves his magic wand there and gets them top4 material, used to love watching Stace, Stace, Stacey jones

panthersam

Juniors

I could see why that would be appealing, but to me JT has way less skill with both his hands and his footwork than a Kikau or a lot of the other edge back rowers running around at the moment. I see him more as a straight up and down battering ram that uses his extremely powerful legs to gain the huge metres in the middle with leg drive.

Not saying that the other option of him on an edge couldn’t work too though - another outstanding player who will want to bounce back with a huge season in 2021.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

They have bigger issues then him. Their issue was taking too long to update an aging roster. Moving their best player doesn't solve that. Just makes it easier to take him out of the game

WestyLife

First Grade
And no one at the club is taking any notice of Hooper.
Well you'd hope not. He's spinning half truths to sell a story and vent his grudge against Ivan. In the end what Brandy said about Burton being our best back up for Nathan makes total sense.

Latest posts