What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Arthur

T-Boon

Coach
Large area geogrpahically and growing population. Full of people who nearly all have an NRL team they support.

Do you think people in Redfern or Darlinghurst are following the NRL?

no, I see those as expansion areas. The code should be embarrassed by the fact the city and easts and north sydney are handed over to other codes.
We have always been too proud of being working class.

Eelogical

Referee
We did that off the back of our defence. We struggled big time to score points. If we had an elite spine we would have won the comp.
All well and good to have an elite spine, mate. But, other players need to step up and shoulder responsibilty as well.

Eelogical

Referee
For me, I liked what I saw of JA on Thursday night. He didn't show 'erratic' in his repertoire - meaning he didn't overplay his hand. Quite intelligent in his decision making and will only get better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The point is that we will always produce average players, but supporters like Hindy and me will never get to excited about that other then just supporting them as Parra players and having a soft spot because of that.

We on the other hand will blow a gasket over a real elite level player as do other players in the NRL that will want to play along side them thus making it much easier to assemble a quality roster.

Elite is the goal, not a production line of average merkins that will guarantee you a perpetual cycle of mediocrity.

And if you want to keep producing elite level players, then you need to have the best scouts bringing them to the club either from your catchment area or from anywhere else. The key is the people we have in place to do this job.

Period!
Do you not find it surprising that the most elite junior talent yet to play NRL (Joseph Suaalii) ended up in Souths' junior system and then refused to sign with anyone other than the Roosters? This kid is from Mount Druitt ffs. He's been on the radar of every NRL club since he was ten years old. Yet he ended up signing with Souths, and when it came time to sign an NRL contract it was only the Roosters. There's something dirty going on when the most supremely talented kid doesn't play junior reps for his local club, and then won't even re-sign for a strong club like Souths. If you think we were any chance of 'developing' (poaching) a player like that you've got rocks in your head. I guarantee if a young Jarryd Hayne hadn't been a head case there's no way the Roosters, Souths or Storm would have let him stay at Parra.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. Got rid of them overnight. Didn’t even need to worry about building a good squad or even think about that pesky salary cap. Great work BA!
Yep. When the ruck rules changed after 2017 and we could no longer shift the ball so easily it became obvious we'd need to rebuild our pack to match the new rules. Unfortunately contract law and the salary cap mean you can't just sack who you want and replace them with someone better. You need to wait for their contracts to expire. Alvaro was happy to sit in reserve grade for a year rather than take a pay cut. Thank f**k he wasn't prepared to sit out 2021 as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
FFS Guts! Hyperbole much. Get a grip man.
The Tigers used to have one of the best junior systems in the NRL, winning SG Ball in 2012-13 and NYC in 2013. They produced plenty of players who went on to play Origin and win premierships and Dally M awards. Where are these merkins now?

Addo-Carr
Nrown
Fifita
Koroibete
Moses
Papenhuyzen
Tedesco
Woods

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We finished 3rd last year and we did it with our number 7 playing within himself. You can't do that if you haven't go an elite spine mate.
Yes you can, just through good coaching and playing to your strengths. However without the elite spine you won't cope with pressure against the top teams come finals time. Sound familiar?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Those clubs are no better than us, but they have Uncle Nick and Russell Crowe, let’s be honest those 2 patriarchs have moved those clubs beyond their real level. The NRL world would look different without their influence in front and behind the scenes for clubs that were ordinary before their arrival .
Well that's my f**king point. What is a club really, other than the people who run it? If Politis and Crowe are happy to burn cash and effort giving their clubs an unfair advantage how are other clubs without these sugar daddies supposed to compete with any sort of consistency?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well that's my f**king point. What is a club really, other than the people who run it? If Politis and Crowe are happy to burn cash and effort giving their clubs an unfair advantage how are other clubs without these sugar daddies supposed to compete with any sort of consistency?
This is where @Avenger needs to step up for the greater good.

Angry_eel

First Grade

Well it's like the Premier League right. Top clubs have moguls owning them, mid table and bottom are owned by the people.

If an NRL club wants to be successful all the time, they'll have to sell to a mogul. Otherwise, they can hope to have some success for a few years them fade away like Cowboys.