What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
rather keep Matto, he goes OK and was an Eels junior
He's one of the best edge forwards in the game and possibly the best player at our club. Of course we want to keep him. But it's all about value. If the Dogs offer overs (which is what desperate clubs do) we shouldn't match it. Matterson's not a difference maker like a spine player (or Paulo), so his enormous output over 80 minutes is what we would need to replace. That can come from multiple players doing a bit more. If we replaced Matterson with someone cheaper we'd have more money to spend elsewhere in the team.

Dunster will never be half the player Ferguson is, but I like that we appear to be intending to re-sign him in Fergo's place. It's all about getting the most value you can out of the cap, and ensuring you have room to sign/retain the players that are less replaceable.

IFR33K

Coach
He's one of the best edge forwards in the game and possibly the best player at our club. Of course we want to keep him. But it's all about value. If the Dogs offer overs (which is what desperate clubs do) we shouldn't match it. Matterson's not a difference maker like a spine player (or Paulo), so his enormous output over 80 minutes is what we would need to replace. That can come from multiple players doing a bit more. If we replaced Matterson with someone cheaper we'd have more money to spend elsewhere in the team.

Dunster will never be half the player Ferguson is, but I like that we appear to be intending to re-sign him in Fergo's place. It's all about getting the most value you can out of the cap, and ensuring you have room to sign/retain the players that are less replaceable.

I’m not even sure he’s the best forward at our club. I think Ryan will be well and truly replaceable if he decides to leave. We’re well invested in forwards anyway, we may have other priorities for 22

Avenger

Immortal

If Dunster can be as good as someone like Ken Sio we will get plenty of value from him. The biggest thing that we lack in our backline is speed. Besides Blake and maybe Brown we do not have any genuine speedsters.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’m not even sure he’s the best forward at our club. I think Ryan will be well and truly replaceable if he decides to leave. We’re well invested in forwards anyway, we may have other priorities for 22

Maybe I was the only one dissapointed in him. Good tackler and makes good PCM but barely broke the line compared to Manu Mau.What makes him so special?

hindy111

Post Whore
If Dunster can be as good as someone like Ken Sio we will get plenty of value from him. The biggest thing that we lack in our backline is speed. Besides Blake and maybe Brown we do not have any genuine speedsters.

I wouldn't be suprised if Pensini and the young guy Naiuku are in the side in 22. I feel like it maybe a bit of a rebuild season.

chiefy1

Juniors

It's not always about value, its about cap management. If Matto is one of the best back rowers in the game & I agree, maybe you'll have to look at cutting out some depth, eg Hipgrave, then upping Matto's contract to at least come closer to whatever offer is out there. Sometimes depth isn't everything.
We can then rely on a development player if the shit hits the fan with injuries.
I believe too much depth may save a coach from the chop, but restricts a club, (who is willing to take a risk on injuries), of winning a comp.

Too much depth spreads the salary cap too thinly. We've had too much in recent times. That's why we've had minimal junior debutantes. just my opinion

hindy111

Post Whore
Certain he come for around the 550k mark. That was the amount bandied around. Is he worth much more?
I'd imagine the dogs would need to offer 625k+ we could perhaps up our another 30k.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not always about value, its about cap management. If Matto is one of the best back rowers in the game & I agree, maybe you'll have to look at cutting out some depth, eg Hipgrave, then upping Matto's contract to at least come closer to whatever offer is out there. Sometimes depth isn't everything.
We can then rely on a development player if the shit hits the fan with injuries.
I believe too much depth may save a coach from the chop, but restricts a club, (who is willing to take a risk on injuries), of winning a comp.

Too much depth spreads the salary cap too thinly. We've had too much in recent times. That's why we've had minimal junior debutantes. just my opinion
Hipgrave would be on close to minimum salary. We might save less than $50k by letting him go, though if someone like Tasipale is ready for the top 30 (and there is little enough competition that we can get him for minimum salary) then of course it could be worth it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The real wildcard is Cartwright. People forget how good he can be. If he's got his head on right (and we can retain him at the right price, because he's also off contract) then he's an 80 minute edge forward who is also a difference maker in attack. Losing Matterson would make it easier to fit him into the team.

People here really think Ma’u was a better player than Matterson? Matterson is on the verge of origin selection (has been 18th man) and with all respect to Ma’u if he was eligible I don’t think he would have come close.

I think Ma'u at his best was of comparable value to us (Ma'u did have pretty poor run in one season...his 2nd last?). But a very different style player. I don't think Matterson did anything special for us last year. He was solid enough, got knocked out a few times, nothing spectacular in defense either.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Matterson is a better player, and I'm a big Ma'u fan.

Matterson's defence is exceptional, and he has plenty of skill, and speed.

Ma'u was a very good defender, but at times, he let his penchant for aggression get the better of him, and he would go for a hard hit, rather than a solid tackle, and would end up missing his target.

Different style of players, but on balance, Matterson is a better all around player, imo.

Cloeel

Juniors
Matterson is a better player, and I'm a big Ma'u fan.

Matterson's defence is exceptional, and he has plenty of skill, and speed.

Ma'u was a very good defender, but at times, he let his penchant for aggression get the better of him, and he would go for a hard hit, rather than a solid tackle, and would end up missing his target.

Different style of players, but on balance, Matterson is a better all around player, imo.

Agreed.

Although I do feel like we let Mau go a season early.

hindy111

Post Whore
It's easier to remember the old Manu of the last few seasons as it is most fresh.
He was also in a side where the other forwards where not as good.
Matterson never put a MOM performance. He played in a top 4 side with an excellent pack. Nobody looks bad when your winning.
If last season was as good as Matto can give I wouldnt care if he left a whole lot. I'd rather chase Crighton from the Roosters or find a 2nd rower who constantly worries the defense.

Latest posts