What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Cloeel

Juniors

Both players we extend for the right price.

I think it's great that we have not officially opened negotiations yet. Let them both start the year and let's see how they perform.

Neither player is worth paying overs for.

Gronk

Staff member
Both players we extend for the right price.

I think it's great that we have not officially opened negotiations yet. Let them both start the year and let's see how they perform.

Neither player is worth paying overs for.
Brown will want Origin cash now. Is he worth the upgrade ? Hmmm unsure.

Cloeel

Juniors
Brown will want Origin cash now. Is he worth the upgrade ? Hmmm unsure.

I think it's why it's so important we do not open negotiations with NBrown too early.

If he can take himself to the next level and harness that aggression i'd happily provide some form of upgrade.

Yes he made Origin but it was off the back of injuries.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Nathan Brown is worth keeping, and at an upgraded price.

He is the heart of this team; he provides the energy in defence, and attack.

We shouldn't break the bank to keep him, but we should seriously negotiate to retain him.

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon Nrown will be that merkin whose extension gets announced on the eve of the first game of the season
There's not a lot of wriggle room. Fergo out so far.

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Cartwright (27), Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

^^^ Pou's succession thread

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There's not a lot of wriggle room. Fergo out so far.

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Cartwright (27), Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

^^^ Pou's succession thread

I know letting a player leave doesn’t necessarily mean their contract value is available for the following year, but if we can replace Fergo with Dunster on a pretty cheap contract and either Opacic or the junior Will become decent enough replacements at centre we could potentially spend a bit more on our pack / Nrown/Matterson.

Gronk

Staff member
I know letting a player leave doesn’t necessarily mean their contract value is available for the following year, but if we can replace Fergo with Dunster on a pretty cheap contract and either Opacic or the junior Will become decent enough replacements at centre we could potentially spend a bit more on our pack / Nrown/Matterson.
I should have included Jennings with Fergo. Nearly $1m there (guessing).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interestingly, our entire outside backline is off contract except for Blake. They've timed it well in case Penisini et al prove ready to be thrust into the gap.

Cloeel

Juniors
Which is why the rumour of Kotoni Staggs may have legs.

Kotoni Staggs is an unreal player and talent. Although we are going to have to pay overs to acquire his services. Which in turn will require us to potentially weaken another area of the side.

For instance; do we pay overs for Staggs, let Sivo and Fergo leave and have faith in a couple youngsters stepping up or sign a journey man on minimum? Does spending 700-800k on a centre (coming off an ACL injury) cause an imbalance in our squad?

I feel the ROI in this scenario holds too much risk.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kotoni Staggs is an unreal player and talent. Although we are going to have to pay overs to acquire his services. Which in turn will require us to potentially weaken another area of the side.

For instance; do we pay overs for Staggs, let Sivo and Fergo leave and have faith in a couple youngsters stepping up or sign a journey man on minimum? Does spending 700-800k on a centre (coming off an ACL injury) cause an imbalance in our squad?

I feel the ROI in this scenario holds too much risk.

Not necessarily; if Staggs feels we would be a better chance at snagging a Premiership than other suitors, he may take less to join us.

But if it came down to $800,000 for Staggs, or $800,000 for Sivo AND a centre, then I think the answer is obvious.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think it's why it's so important we do not open negotiations with NBrown too early.

If he can take himself to the next level and harness that aggression i'd happily provide some form of upgrade.

Yes he made Origin but it was off the back of injuries.
I think Nrown is one of the most replaceable off contract merkins in our squad, especially given the likely cost to retain him. I think Moses, Matterson and Sivo should be the priorities, because replacing them will likely need to come from outside the squad.

Matterson could potentially be replaced by Cartwright (who is also off contract) but the only wing replacement that is even remotely 'ready made' is Dunster (himself off contract), and we also have Ferguson leaving.

I find the Ferguson situation a little odd. He's still young enough to have some good years left, is versatile and although injured last year he never shirked it. Maybe the club is very confident about Dunster. Or maybe more likely they were hoping he'd leave a year early to save some money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think they've identified, as did the Chooks, that in any given season the off field drama could get to Fergo and ruin his form. He's always a risk and we're no longer the club that needs to take those risks.

Avenger

Immortal
I think they've identified, as did the Chooks, that in any given season the off field drama could get to Fergo and ruin his form. He's always a risk and we're no longer the club that needs to take those risks.
It’s not that. His knee is very bad and gets needled constantly.