What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

getsmarty

Immortal
mccullough-62106455mccullough-a-210218_gt_09_202121819017.jpg

DRAGONS

Old mates help make McCullough's Dragons move seamless
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 02:01 PM
kennedychris-head.png

Share on social media
New Dragons hooker Andrew McCullough only met some of his new teammates 24 hours before taking the field with them in Thursday night's trial, but that won't be the case when he runs out with one of his oldest mates in round one.

McCullough's transition into the Dragons playmaking line-up will be boosted by his long history with halfback Ben Hunt. They played together at the Broncos for nine seasons from 2009 having first paired up on the field as 11-year-olds.

He also spent four years alongside Corey Norman at Brisbane, the club where current Dragons mentor Anthony Griffin was head coach from 2011 to 2014.

While getting the feel for how the rest of the Dragons pack likes to play will take some time, when it comes to building combinations with his halves, he has a big head start.

McCullough comfortably got through 20 minutes in his new side's trial against the Eels on Thursday night in his first footy since rupturing a hamstring for the Knights last July.

"The ball stuff and combinations won't take as long because I've played with Benny and Normy a fair bit," he said.

"The Benny one will be easy for me and Normy as well. Forwards-wise they'll take a bit of time and gelling but certainly with regards to having Benny and Normy there it will come a lot easier than it would with other clubs.

"It helps having Hook as the coach as well. Benny's an easy one. We've been together since we were 11.

"That will click into gear a lot quicker than the forwards but if we don't hang onto the ball and complete well we'll be on the back foot.

"[It's about learning] what people want, different expectations than what I want. It's a long year. For me personally it's about getting my defence right early then the same again next week.

"I just met some of the guys 24 hours ago. [The trial] certainly was just that contact, having a little blow and having that first game, obviously it's been a little while for me.

"It was good to get back out that and have that run and be better for it."

Despite it being an injury comeback, McCullough said he was totally unfazed about his hamstring given the injury was originally from being caught up in a tackle rather than straining it while running.

"I was pretty relaxed, there wasn't any drama with it," he said.

"The way I got caught, it wasn't like I was sprinting, it was just one of those freak things that I got caught. I was pretty happy, I just got into it.

"It's been good, I've been back full training for a while now. Obviously not here at the Dragons but at the Broncos I was doing everything possible, the staff there did a really good job to get me back in good shape."

remote.axd

Feagai brothers coast to coast effort gives us the opener

Feagai brothers coast to coast effort gives us the opener

McCullough expected to lift his minutes significantly in next Saturday's Charity Shield trial against the Rabbitohs in Mudgee.

"Probably a lot more. I'm not too sure. Maybe the hour mark. We'll see how it goes, I got through 20 or 25 [against the Eels]," he said.

"The intensity will pick up again next week with full squads. I was pretty happy to get that one done."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/19/old-mates-help-make-mcculloughs-dragons-move-seamless/

getsmarty

Immortal
McCullough leans on Hunt to gel at Dragons
Scott BaileyAAP
February 19, 2021 3:28PM
Topics
Rugby League
Andrew McCullough expects Ben Hunt's presence to expedite his bid to settle in fast at St George Illawarra after joining the club just three weeks before the season starts.

McCullough got through his return match unscathed on Thursday night, playing 20 minutes in the Dragons' pre-season NRL trial loss to Parramatta.

That came just two days after he touched down in Sydney to link with the club after being released by Brisbane earlier this week.

But working in his favour is the fact he joins a spine full of ex-Broncos under former Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin.

McCullough and Hunt played 168 games together at the Broncos, including the ride to the 2015 grand final.

Corey Norman also played alongside the pair between 2010 and 2013, making life easier again for the 31-year-old McCullough.

"The ball stuff and combinations won't take as long because I've played with Benny and Normy a fair bit," McCullough said.

"The Benny one will be easy for me and Normy as well.

"We've been together since we were 11. That will click into gear a lot quicker than the forwards.

"It helps having Hook (Griffin) as the coach as well."

Hunt has been helping McCullough feel at home off the field as much as he has on it.

McCullough's wife will remain in Brisbane for another three months completing a floristry course, with the player living in an apartment in Wollongong in the meantime.

But with a three-year deal on the table and the chance to take his career into a 16th year, McCullough said there was never a second thought about moving down.

"There will be tough times," McCullough said.

"But I've got Hook, I've got Benny and Normy. I haven't gone to somewhere I don't know anyone.

"It could be a lot worse."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...-leans-on-hunt-to-gel-at-dragons-ng-s-2050215

People are wrong about Clune. He’s not a flash player but is a very good, smart footballer. As a half, he works very well with a flair player. Doesn’t lack for intent in his defensive work. He will be beaten on strength as much as any player his size is beaten on strength. Physics is physics. They are all beaten regularly enough.

That’s not to say his defence is suddenly up to the rigours around the rucks. He’s a tough cookie but it would be a bridge too far to expect him to handle a hooker’s defensive load. He may be a better hooker than McCullough but that doesn’t make him a good hooker necessarily.

McCullough is the real worry in all of this. Was this bloke ever a good player with ball in hand? What does Griffin hope he is suddenly capable of at the age of 30? He’s tough and he’ll make his tackles. He is also a decent kicking option. But in all other area he’s a massive comedown from McInnes. When he tries to get involved in attacks, he just kills the play.

Watching him up against Cook yesterday ... fair dinkum. Tortoise and the hare in every department. This could rank as our worst signing since Simon Woodford. It’s certainly looking sillier than signing Isaac Luke last season.

be55

Juniors
McCullough is the real worry in all of this. Was this bloke ever a good player with ball in hand? What does Griffin hope he is suddenly capable of at the age of 30? He’s tough and he’ll make his tackles. He is also a decent kicking option. But in all other area he’s a massive comedown from McInnes. When he tries to get involved in attacks, he just kills the play.

Watching him up against Cook yesterday ... fair dinkum. Tortoise and the hare in every department. This could rank as our worst signing since Simon Woodford. It’s certainly looking sillier than signing Isaac Luke last season.
Spot on mate...

When the talk started that we were in the market to try and pick him up i went back and watched a few of his games for Newcastle last year...

His service is average at best...he gets through his defence like you said...but what struck me was his sluggishness around the ruck...He genuinely has no zip what so ever...There were times when he couldn't even keep up with the defensive line off the kick off he is that slow...

And that was before he ripped his hamstring off the bone...

Reading some of the comments on this forum about "game management" and "pass selection" had me thinking that our supporters had no real idea as to what we were buying...

As i posted when we signed him, signing McCullough to a three year deal is one of the most ridiculous recruitment decisions we have ever made as a club...

Mate...i noticed you mentioned Alvaro in another thread...he's another absolute slug...he looks like he should be at Menangle trots with his running style...no leg speed at all and struggles to cover the ground...just the kind of player that is going to be left behind with the way the speed of the game is changing...like you said an absolute plodder...

Some truly bizarre recruitment decisions, to say the least, by our new coach...

getsmarty

Immortal
Interesting that some are already into McCollough, so here are some stats for his game v Bunnies.

Played 61 mins
6 runs for 40 metres
17 pcm
TB = 1
100% tackle efficiency
41 tackles made
2 kicks for 106 metres
0 errors

Yep...I thought he looked alright for his 1st hit out with us...I guess some people will make him into our new whipping boy alongside Hunt.

mightydragon

Juniors
Interesting that some are already into McCollough, so here are some stats for his game v Bunnies.

Played 61 mins
6 runs for 40 metres
17 pcm
TB = 1
100% tackle efficiency
41 tackles made
2 kicks for 106 metres
0 errors
Good stats considering he was playing amongst a forward pack that wouldn't have busted a grape on the weekend, The same is for Hunt. Unless your forwards make ground and win the ruck, he is up against it. Norman did nothing as usual. We have one aggressive player in Tariq. No one else strikes fear into any opposition.

FlameThrower

Bench
Bump.
WOW what a difference he has made to them team. I was very sceptical of his signing- then Cam injured and out for the rest of the season.
Since then we’ve almost completely forgotten Cam tackling himself into the ground.
I think Hook & Co made the right decision and poor Cam has not been spotted or spoken off since start of the season now....