What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Sharks

Gareth67

First Grade
It was great to see in the press conference that Griffin made no excuses just proud everyone gave 100 percent or better.And was happy that the supporters weren't happy

Agree Ted , the man has an enormous job ahead of him and he was aware of that before taking the job on , I sincerely hope that we give him the opportunity to just that without being too critical of him .

Regardless of who had the coaching reins this season , their task would be just as difficult , bearing in mind that they - as Griffin - would need to rinse the players minds of the absolute crap that the maestro had placed there for 7 long seasons .

It is not going to be an overnight fix , but given time we will see the light at the end of the tunnel .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It’s the new rule apparently. Ref now awards the try and bunker looks at it while they are setting up for the goal
So basically, the try can't be reversed once the conversion is taken. If Lomax did a quick drop kick for goal before the video ref reached for his spectacles, then they couldn't overrule the on-field ref?

Not happy with this over-engineering of the rules. On one hand they want to speed up the game, but then there's long stoppages with captain's challenge and the bunker sticking their noses in.

IMO, once the ref awards the try, that should be it.

I wonder what's next, contesting the match result after full time?

TruSaint

Referee
So basically, the try can't be reversed once the conversion is taken. If Lomax did a quick drop kick for goal before the video ref reached for his spectacles, then they couldn't overrule the on-field ref?

Not happy with this over-engineering of the rules. On one hand they want to speed up the game, but then there's long stoppages with captain's challenge and the bunker sticking their noses in.

Its just dumb.

Why the need to change it from last season is beyond me.

Waiting for a review, whilst frustrating is better than having a try awarded and then reversed.

redv13

Bench
Its just dumb.

Why the need to change it from last season is beyond me.

Waiting for a review, whilst frustrating is better than having a try awarded and then reversed.
Agree. It’s bullshit that the ref awards a try and the game pretty much stops for a minute as the goal kicker waits for the video ref to confirm try/no try.

FlameThrower

Bench

Well Wade Graham took a captain challenge with about 90 seconds to go - just to waste time ..

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Interesting to see Ramien has been charged for his tackle on Dufty. Facing a 4 week suspension, early plea 3 weeks. Question is why wasn’t he sent off?? He gets 10 in the sin bin yet Dufty has a mandatory 15 min break.
Unbelievable
Agree, should have been sent; weak as piss! His winger mate who ran in should have at least gone to the bin as well.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

the new method for awarding trys then checking will be dropped once it happens to the Roosters or the Storm, until then we have to live with the stupidity of it.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Dufty played 6 during his junior development days and was moved to fullback by Ben Hornby when Hornby and D Young were coaching the under 20s.

Like many juniors at that time, defence seem to be Dufty's main problem along with the fact that he needed room to weave his magic. So thus the move to fullback.

I would try Dufty at 6 in reseve grade first.to see how he goes. The other problem is that we have plenty of depth in the halves and would be likely to lose a good young 6 if Dufty became Normans replacement in 2022.

Dufty has had a few seasons now to address these issues and each year we hear the same story, he just needs more time. Maybe there is a halfway point where, when in defence, we swap Dufty for Ramsey and see how that goes.
Dufty may well be the 'good young 6' weve been searching for....right under our noses.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
With all respect to Duffy the man is undoubtedly a great attacking weapon , but alas the man’s defense is what truly matters . No team can afford to have a player whom simply cannot catch the pill in the fullback role - the last line of defense .

Too many errors on his part has gifted the opposition points , I would be giving him another opportunity in that position , but should he not stack up then have him on the bench and replace him with Ramsey .

The season only just beginning so now is the time for changes to occur before all is lost .
I think he’s more suited to 5/8.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Imma gonna just leave this table here..

Errors in 2021..

unfortunately the top doesn’t fit in, but the first column is games played, 2nd is number of errors.

32DB886C-BEA7-48B8-A157-405B0EDCD8C3.jpeg

Dufty has the same number of errors as Lomax, and only one more than Ramsay..

Where’s the lynch mob for those two?

#sackzac
#ramseydismay

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well Wade Graham took a captain challenge with about 90 seconds to go - just to waste time ..
I thought so at first, but then I gave BOD because it resulted in them getting a scrum feed close to our line. But then they just ran backwards and kicked it into touch... so yeah... a time wasting exercise.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
some good signs I thought - too many errors yet again cost them the game.

I thought Macca's service was good and he has some subtlety to his game - combo with Hunt has legs. He's no Damien cook but ya get what you pay for.

Fui is an edge and Kerr ain't - pretty clear. Tariq looks done but was always going to struggle on a wet track. How and why we did not recruit backrowers is beyond me.

Duff has errors in him but is needed in attack - his energy seems better and Cody ain't ready so lets give him a chance. The front row are not all stars but gave it plenty, showed some heart.

Clune is a backup only, never thought I'd say this but we'll improve w Corey back in the team. Good to see Bird get through - bit grabby in D but has a vibe the team is dearly lacking. Let him get his sea legs at centre but I think he'll be needed on an edge.
is that you Corey?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Interesting to see Ramien has been charged for his tackle on Dufty. Facing a 4 week suspension, early plea 3 weeks. Question is why wasn’t he sent off?? He gets 10 in the sin bin yet Dufty has a mandatory 15 min break.
Unbelievable

How did that winger get off? He ran from the other side of the field and more or less led in with a punch into Lawrie's head when he was not looking? Am I the only one who saw that? I thought if you throw a punch it is a sinbin but he got nothing. Wade Graham is the new Cam Smith. Grub who has the refs under a spell.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints did well 2nd half and if not for some really tough calls would have won that game easily. The no try to Ramsey was a big call. It should have at least been a knock on Saints was as Kennedy knocked the ball first in Bird's tackle, how else would it come loose. It should have been Saints feed but instead the VAR only looked at ways to disallow the try and not to make the right call after it.

The first half Cronulla had close to a perfect half with no errors and heaps of ball yet scored 2 tries off kicks which were off Saints errors (double whammy), so a credit to Saints defence to only keep it to 2 tries.

Compared to other games I saw, Saints were not the worst team in the round? Manly won that hands down and I thought the Dogs were not that impressive as Knights scored some pretty soft tries close to the line.

My standouts were Hunt, Bird, McCullough and Vaughn. Dufty scored an absolute screamer of a try and Clunes was pretty good too. Ravalawa's hit on Moylan I think from memory was a cracker. Rava is monster in defence. Not many teams will dare run down his side.

I think he’s more suited to 5/8.
I agree that Dufty is a strike player in attack, but as a fullback his positional play is questionable. A traditional fullback of quality is the last line of defense in most situations and this is the area Dufty is deficient. It may be worthwhile to look at him as a 5/8. He is fast, elusive and has talent, maybe Hook might be able to get the best out of him. I would not write Dufty off at this stage.