What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramsey No Try

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don’t think I’ve seen the Bunker overrule a on field try decision when the matter was not referred by the referee. Was the play challenged by Cronulla?

If not does this mean every on field try decision is automatically reviewed now? Happened at a critical time in the match.

TruSaint

Referee
I don’t think I’ve seen the Bunker overrule a on field try decision when the matter was not referred by the referee. Was the play challenged by Cronulla?

If not does this mean every on field try decision is automatically reviewed now? Happened at a critical time in the match.

New rule.
Ref can call a try and then the bunker overrule him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Excerpts from https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/new-nrl-rules-explained-scrums-field-goals-six-agains-trainers/

NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley has outlined how new rules will make the Telstra Premiership faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable in 2021.

Annesley told NRL.com that all the recent rule changes have been "about minimising stoppages, increasing the amount of time the ball is in play, increasing the fatigue factor, trying to open up some spaces on the field and making the game more exciting and entertaining to watch".

Bunker Reviews
Where the on-field referee believes a try is scored the referee will award a try and the bunker will review the decision in the background. A conversion attempt will not be permitted until the Bunker is satisfied a try has been scored.

Obviously we're not as smart as the NRL, so can someone please explain how the bunker overruling the referee makes the game "more free-flowing and unpredictable, more exciting and entertaining to watch."
???

The interesting part of that try / no try is I thought the ball went backwards off Birds forearm so play on for me.
Also I thought that Bird got the ball down quickly in the corner but for some reason they were only showing footage from the far side of the ground.
Maybe I’m one eyed so please correct me if I’m speaking utter sh!t.

Excerpts from https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/new-nrl-rules-explained-scrums-field-goals-six-agains-trainers/

NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley has outlined how new rules will make the Telstra Premiership faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable in 2021.

Annesley told NRL.com that all the recent rule changes have been "about minimising stoppages, increasing the amount of time the ball is in play, increasing the fatigue factor, trying to open up some spaces on the field and making the game more exciting and entertaining to watch".

Bunker Reviews
Where the on-field referee believes a try is scored the referee will award a try and the bunker will review the decision in the background. A conversion attempt will not be permitted until the Bunker is satisfied a try has been scored.

Obviously we're not as smart as the NRL, so can someone please explain how the bunker overruling the referee makes the game "more free-flowing and unpredictable, more exciting and entertaining to watch."
???
Well I guess it’s unpredictable!

Having said that, can’t wait till they start throwing hankies on the ground and going to video screens to check on penalties. Now there’s excitement!!

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Well I guess it’s unpredictable!

Having said that, can’t wait till they start throwing hankies on the ground and going to video screens to check on penalties. Now there’s excitement!!

See, this is where the problems continue to fester.

The NRL, in their wisdom, go and make another stupid decision to take a no contest situation and make it a 'who the fudge knows' which in turn, opens up a whole new Pandora's box on the matter.

What about trying to simplify the game?
Imbeciles!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The interesting part of that try / no try is I thought the ball went backwards off Birds forearm so play on for me.
Also I thought that Bird got the ball down quickly in the corner but for some reason they were only showing footage from the far side of the ground.
I've only seen it at the game but would like to see the replay because a few people thought the same as yourself.

But you raise a good point. It's well established that sometimes the video ref gets it wrong. There's been some howlers. Regardless of how much technology is available, they still make human errors. So why make it more complex?

Said it the game day thread that this new 'rule' sucks out the excitement of seeing a try awarded.
Yep. I prefer the ref admitting he has no clue and refer it upstairs.
Never seen a scoreboard go backwards.

Also happened in the Raiders Tigers game.

Dragon David

First Grade

Bunker Reviews

???
The overruling of the on field referee by the bunker is like having big brother watching over you. The excitement turns to dismay and anger when a try after a lot of lead up work is denied if already awarded. How sad is it to have someone in the background doing checks when the rule is to be "more free-flowing and unpredictable, more exciting and entertaining to watch."

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep. I prefer the ref admitting he has no clue and refer it upstairs.
Never seen a scoreboard go backwards.

Also happened in the Raiders Tigers game.
Yes, the game scoreboard on the screen also changed.

I can't fathom the reasoning. The ref signalling a try and pointing to the spot is essential for any fan in attendance. Now it means nothing.

redv13

Bench
Yes, the game scoreboard on the screen also changed.

I can't fathom the reasoning. The ref signalling a try and pointing to the spot is essential for any fan in attendance. Now it means nothing.
I can’t wait till there’s a Clanger like Bill Hollywood Harrigan in the Saints vs Manly game 10 years ago

thebigredv

First Grade

The ball did go backwards. They just didn't bother to look for whatever reason. Sharks had all the calls go their way and were also able to create more luck for themselves by playing the conditions and respecting the ball more.

I just find it difficult given that in July last year two refs lost their position for handing the Sharks a try that wasn't when Dufty had grounded the ball. Lost the game by 4 points. It completely turned the game yesterday. Heaven forbid it were to happen to the Storm or Roosters but we just cop it, twice.

It's embarrassing for the game and majorly costly for us.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Just letting you know the rule change.
I also dont like it.
Im with you bud, to hear and feel the euphoria of the fans , the score put up on the scoreboard or on the television only to have it taken away is rubbish...next we will have electronic sensors on the sidelines like snicko in cricket to see if players have got a nick on the sideline when their flying upfield....or hot spots on the try line to see if theyve ground the ball ..seriously leave the effing rules alone.

redv13

Bench
Im with you bud, to hear and feel the euphoria of the fans , the score put up on the scoreboard or on the television only to have it taken away is rubbish...next we will have electronic sensors on the sidelines like snicko in cricket to see if players have got a nick on the sideline when their flying upfield....or hot spots on the try line to see if theyve ground the ball ..seriously leave the effing rules alone.
How about Wood’s try. Clearly pulled down short of the line, sent up no try with ref believing it was short of the line, his momentum is stopped then a sneaky little lift to get the ball on the line and video ref says momentum got him to the line. Pleeeaaassseee. The video ref screwed us multiple times last night

Latest posts