What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

Perth Red

Post Whore
"from memory" lol what rubbish, you went to all those Crushers games and scoped out the crowds did you?

haha his research seems very valid and reliable! I mean parramatta must literally have noone under 18 following them as what kid wants to be associated with a slipper slimy eel?

haha his research seems very valid and reliable! I mean parramatta must literally have noone under 18 following them as what kid wants to be associated with a slipper slimy eel?
If they had so much support from younger people then how come I never met a kid who went for them?

I was 10 when they entered the competition, so I was at school and knew plenty of kids. If they were as popular as @mongoose says then I would have met some one who supported them. I never saw a single person wearing their jersey in the southern suburbs, where I grew up. Not one! There were fans of Sydney clubs and the Broncos in my neighbourhood, but no one gave a f**k about the Crushers.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sydney doesn't work?!
Yep, it's a total f**king failure that good broadcasting deals (that won't last forever) have helped to paper over for years now.

If you take away millions of dollars in grants from leagues clubs and the NRL, not one of the Sydney clubs would be solvent (with the possible exception of Souths, but that is a very recent phenomena, and who knows how sustainable it is).

You know what that means, not one of these organisations that are supposedly in the business of RL can actually survive off their RL business!

That set of circumstances is exclusively down to the facts that most of them have been terribly run historically, and there's to much competition in Sydney.
If you replicate those circumstances in Brisbane, which is what you are suggesting, you will inevitably replicate the results!

Furthermore, even despite the high broadcasting deals if they were in any other major competition around the world most of them would have been moved on by now.
If they were in a European or British league they would have been relegated into oblivion. If they were North American they would have been relocated to more fertile markets. Either way the result would have been the same; they would have been replaced with more financially stable and successful teams.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If ppl want team playing out of Suncorp representing all of Brisbane then there's already Broncos. Model you suggest has never been successful anywhere in the world.
Absolute horse shit!

Yankees vs Mets, Jets vs Giants, Utd vs City, Lakers vs Clippers, Boca Juniors vs River Plate, Celtic vs Rangers, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Seriously, I could go on forever just including most, if not all, of the greatest cross city derbies.
You have 90's mentality of putting teams in rusted on afl cities & thinking audience will equal that of places where ppl follow sport. Idea of Brisbane expansion is straight copy of failed 90's crushers
The Crushers didn't fail because of their branding or target audience, so that's just BS.

They had the right idea, they just didn't have the means to pull it off.

mongoose

Coach
If they had so much support from younger people then how come I never met a kid who went for them?

I was 10 when they entered the competition, so I was at school and knew plenty of kids. If they were as popular as @mongoose says then I would have met some one who supported them. I never saw a single person wearing their jersey in the southern suburbs, where I grew up. Not one! There were fans of Sydney clubs and the Broncos in my neighbourhood, but no one gave a f**k about the Crushers.

this is just anecdotal. I showed you the crowd figure for their first season which was 21k which means plenty of people were interested and I doubt they were all just old men from north of the river.

Was South QLD crushers the best brand for a 2nd Brisbane club? no, probably not but the club didn't fail because of its branding or the location they chose to represent.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Part of the reason the hastily conceived South Queensland Crushers (active 1995-1997) failed was because their brand stirred no emotion. Their soulless nickname referred to the crushing of the major produce of Queensland; sugar cane. The problem? Youngsters get excited by eating sugar, not refining it.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/expans...irehawks/de163791-13f3-46c7-b309-cfe94ad52d42
Hey look at you quoting some nobody's baseless opinion again instead of having an original thought of your own.

Let me guess his evidence that that is the case is because he said so, just like your evidence is.

Here's my evidence. Those guys did exactly what the Dolphins are trying to do in the exact way they are trying to do it. They did it three times, each time that was the response, copy them and you'll get the same outcome.

That's not just some BS opinion like you keep spouting, you have to address that and show where the Vikings went wrong and why the Dolphins won't make the same mistakes.

The Crushers didn't fail because of their branding or target audience, so that's just BS.

They had the right idea, they just didn't have the means to pull it off.

Part of the reason the hastily conceived South Queensland Crushers (active 1995-1997) failed was because their brand stirred no emotion. Their soulless nickname referred to the crushing of the major produce of Queensland; sugar cane. The problem? Youngsters get excited by eating sugar, not refining it.​

I was 10 when the Crushers came around. Their brand didn't appeal to me. Cowboys had a brand that I liked, so I supported them, even though they were based in a city that's further away from Brisbane than Sydney. The Cowboys' brand, logo and colour scheme just looked great and it converted me instantly, despite the team winning just 2 games that year. The Crushers had a terrible colour scheme, their logo looked like Thomas The Tank Engine and I couldn't give a f**k about sugar cane as it's boring. Kids from the city like to play cowboys and Indians in the backyard, not crushing sugar cane. Cowboys had a cool mascot in Bluey the Blue Heeler. What did Crushers have?

mongoose

Coach
Part of the reason the hastily conceived South Queensland Crushers (active 1995-1997) failed was because their brand stirred no emotion. Their soulless nickname referred to the crushing of the major produce of Queensland; sugar cane. The problem? Youngsters get excited by eating sugar, not refining it.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/expans...irehawks/de163791-13f3-46c7-b309-cfe94ad52d42

seriously, he boils it down to "which mascot would a kid like the most?" and that's your front runner lol

Disclaimer:
The NRL Economist, Ramy Haidar, is employed by NRL club the Manly Sea Eagles"

whats this about?

Hey look at you quoting some nobody's baseless opinion again instead of having an original thought of your own.

Let me guess his evidence that that is the case is because he said so, just like your evidence is.

Here's my evidence. Those guys did exactly what the Dolphins are trying to do in the exact way they are trying to do it. They did it three times, each time that was the response, copy them and you'll get the same outcome.

That's not just some BS opinion like you keep spouting, you have to address that and show where the Vikings went wrong and why the Dolphins won't make the same mistakes.
I've held this opinion since 1995, so STFU. I've lived my entire life in Brisbane and Logan. I'm not going to be lectured to by some one from Canberra about why the Crushers' brand was great, even though I know from personal experience that it never appealed to me or anyone I've known.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Part of the reason the hastily conceived South Queensland Crushers (active 1995-1997) failed was because their brand stirred no emotion. Their soulless nickname referred to the crushing of the major produce of Queensland; sugar cane. The problem? Youngsters get excited by eating sugar, not refining it.​

I was 10 when the Crushers came around. Their brand didn't appeal to me. Cowboys had a brand that I liked, so I supported them, even though they were based in a city that's further away from Brisbane than Sydney. The Cowboys' brand, logo and colour scheme just looked great and it converted me instantly, despite the team winning just 2 games that year. The Crushers had a terrible colour scheme, their logo looked like Thomas The Tank Engine and I couldn't give a f**k about sugar cane as it's boring. Kids from the city like to play cowboys and Indians in the backyard, not crushing sugar cane. Cowboys had a cool mascot in Bluey the Blue Heeler. What did Crushers have?
That's a whole lot of anecdotes, not a lot of substance.

seriously, he boils it down to "which mascot would a kid like the most?" and that's your front runner lol

whats this about?
Why do you think AwFuL targets kids?

Why do you think AwFuL is kicking RL's arse in the public relations battle?

Hint. It's because they know what kids want and they cater to them. A successful club has a long line of kids wanting to play for them when they grow up, wearing their merchandise and bugging mum and dad to take them to their games. A club without kids supporting them has no future.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've held this opinion since 1995, so STFU. I've lived my entire life in Brisbane and Logan. I'm not going to be lectured to by some one from Canberra about why the Crushers' brand was great, even though I know from personal experience that it never appealed to me or anyone I've known.
I don't give a f**k about your experience or feelings, I only care about the facts.

Here are the facts; the Crushers were flat broke before they had even kicked a ball in anger, their leagues club was underperforming, the Broncos were trying to murder them, and they came in during the SL war. All of those factors had significantly more impact on their demise than their brand or where they were based.

BTW, I never once suggested that their brand was good, let alone great, so maybe you should calm down and take the time to understand what I've actually said before going off halfcocked.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's more than the horseshit you're trying to spin.
Ok, prove it!

Go learn about the Vikings experiences, learn about what f**ked their attempts to represent Canberra in higher competitions, then report back to me.

Because what happened to them, three times, is the Dolphins future if they go ahead as they plan.

mongoose

Coach
Why do you think AwFuL targets kids?

Why do you think AwFuL is kicking RL's arse in the public relations battle?

Hint. It's because they know what kids want and they cater to them. A successful club has a long line of kids wanting to play for them when they grow up, wearing their merchandise and bugging mum and dad to take them to their games. A club without kids supporting them has no future.

not saying a good mascot isn't important but I don't think it's the thing that will make or break a team. Who would have thought "Rabbitohs" would be the most supported club in Sydney?

I don't give a f**k about your experience or feelings, I only care about the facts.

Here are the facts; the Crushers were flat broke before they had even kicked a ball in anger, their leagues club was underperforming, the Broncos were trying to murder them, and they came in during the SL war. All of those factors had significantly more impact on their demise than their brand or where they were based.

BTW, I never once suggested that their brand was good, let alone great, so maybe you should calm down and take the time to understand what I've actually said before going off halfcocked.
And I'm telling you that no one I knew at school, on the southern side of Brisbane, resonated with the Crushers' brand. That's lived experience that you don't have. You can say it doesn't matter all you like, but at the end of the day you know jackshit about how Brisbaners felt about the Crushers as you weren't living here at the time.

Ok, prove it!

Go learn about the Vikings experiences, learn about what f**ked their attempts to represent Canberra in higher competitions, then report back to me.

Because what happened to them, three times, is the Dolphins future if they go ahead as they plan.
You're always going on about how no one cares about the BRL because it died over 30 years ago, yet now you're claiming the Dolphins will fail because they're a BRL club.

WTF?

You can't have it both ways.

There are only 3 bids and they're all tied up with existing BRL brands, so Brisbane 2 will be everything you hate!

Crushers, Chargers and Giants were neutral brands. They sucked and failed.