What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kids love horses and heroic people who risk life and limb for a cause. Horses represent strength, power, speed and grace. Go to the Royal Show and you'll see kids playing with the horses.

Raiders, knights and warriors are manly and cool.

What kids don't give a f**k about is cutting vegetation.

How many kids from the city grow up wanting to grow and cut sugar cane?

I supported the Townsville Suns when I was a kid. I preferred their brand over the Bullets and Rollers. When I see "Suns" I think of paradise, life, warmth and beaches.

Storms are frightening yet intriguing. Nothing beats a good lightning show.

Everyone loves horses. When the Broncos came into the NSWRL there was a strong reverence of American culture amongst kids. American sports like basketball were booming in Australia. Everyone wanted to be Michael Jordan and Chicago Bulls caps were found everywhere. Kids don't know that a rabbitoh kills rabbits for their meat, but they see the cute little bunny logo and resonate with the cuddly little lagomorph. Bugs Bunny is one of the most popular cartoon characters of all time. You should know this as they're a common pet in England.

Didn't you say the Dockers aren't that popular and are only watched by people who can't get a ticket to see the Eagles?

ypure really stretching here lol. By the same token kids love trains and crushing things so your argument re crushers is invalid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of Manly or Roosters could relocate, with the surviving team absorbing the other team's catchment.

Sydney Sea Eagles has a good ring to it. Better than Sydney Swans.

roosters are mega rich and going nowhere. Manly have buyers lined up if current owners keel over and are going nowhere. Salary cap has been reduced and club grants gone up, no club is relocating.

ypure really stretching here lol. By the same token kids love trains and crushing things so your argument re crushers is invalid.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I was a kid when the Crushers were around and thought their brand sucked. Maybe other kids liked them, but I never met any of them.

How many modern city based sports teams adopt a rural industry as their mascot?

You can't replicate Broncos model because their identity is very much of a one city team. NRL should look at wanderers who matched Sydney FC's attendance & membership in first year. Fremantle has been great success too. What ur suggesting is impossible
You are correct. Broncos should be more successful regarding crowds. It's not a model I would follow for a 2nd club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are correct. Broncos should be more successful regarding crowds. It's not a model I would follow for a 2nd club.

you need factor in the lack of popularity/lack of active support for nrl clubs to judge if they are good or not. Compared to other sports they arent great these days (they were in 2010) but compared to your avg NRL crowd they are outstanding. If a new Brisbane club can get anywhere close to them it will be very good for the game.

you need factor in the lack of popularity/lack of active support for nrl clubs to judge if they are good or not. Compared to other sports they arent great these days (they were in 2010) but compared to your avg NRL crowd they are outstanding. If a new Brisbane club can get anywhere close to them it will be very good for the game.
First goal is to last longer than the Crushers.

mongoose

Coach
We'll have to agree to disagree. I was a kid when the Crushers were around and thought their brand sucked. Maybe other kids liked them, but I never met any of them.

How many modern city based sports teams adopt a rural industry as their mascot?

They averaged 21k in their first season so what you and your friends though of them is irrelevant. Just because I don't personally like salt n vinegar chips, doesn't mean they can't sell them to other people lol

They averaged 21k in their first season so what you and your friends though of them is irrelevant. Just because I don't personally like salt n vinegar chips, doesn't mean they can't sell them to other people lol
Where did they go in 96 and 97?

Teams always draw well in their debut season.

1996 they were the sixth best supported team out of 20. 1997 was sht but then it was SL and so was most clubs.
There was a bid drop off from the previous season. Warriors and Cowboys maintained their averages. In the case of NQ we only won 2 games in 1995 and still finished ahead of the Crushers for attendances.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a bid drop off from the previous season. Warriors and Cowboys maintained their averages. In the case of NQ we only won 2 games in 1995 and still finished ahead of the Crushers for attendances.

cowboys and warriors didn’t face the same challenges as crushers trying to survive in brisbane against news ltd. I’m guessing crushers fans were more Arl alligned, like reds fans, and were appalled at what was going on in that time.

cowboys and warriors didn’t face the same challenges as crushers trying to survive in brisbane against news ltd. I’m guessing crushers fans were more Arl alligned, like reds fans, and were appalled at what was going on in that time.
It was a turbulent period. Packer and Murdoch almost ruined the game.

It was unique time and you certainly shouldn’t judge clubs in that period as some sort of measurement of what might be today.
Crushers should have based their logo around a strongly built man handling a jackhammer, to represent the transformation Brisbane was going through at the time.

mongoose

Coach
well this has gone off topic...

Dolphins will be the 2nd Brisbane team, it's pretty much locked in. Just hope they don't use Redcliffe in their name cause that will turn potential fans off even within the Moreton Bay area. Also they have to play as many games at Suncorp as they can otherwise its a waste of time.

well this has gone off topic...

Dolphins will be the 2nd Brisbane team, it's pretty much locked in. Just hope they don't use Redcliffe in their name cause that will turn potential fans off even within the Moreton Bay area. Also they have to play as many games at Suncorp as they can otherwise its a waste of time.
Moreton Bay Dolphins. Having 2 teams called Brisbane is dumb.

"Tonight in the football at Lang Park, Brisbane played Brisbane. The winner was, Brisbane."

Perth Red

Post Whore
As long as it’s a widely inclusive name not fussed if it’s brisbane or sq, easts coast or sunshine state dolphins. I think calling them Moreton bay dolphins would be a big mistake as it’s too geographically isolating.