What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How did the big Mack go in reserves last week? Is he a possibility for a cheap top 30 spot next year. Seems like he could be a late bloomer in the games I have seen him play this year.

He's an experienced player at a good age to mentor and keep the young ones from doing too much work in reserves. I reckon a 2nd tier deal is the highest he should go.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think the fact is that interpretation around the ruck will always be a problem, because the ruck is so important, and interpretation is far to subjective.

It'd be interesting to see how the current rules and interpretations would go with a pocket referee who purely polices the ruck?

TheRam

Coach
I think bring back 5 minute sin bin. Multiple infringements close together and someone sits. Might make refs more inclined to use it

Hasn't worked in the past, so what makes you think it will work now.

Besides the weak as piss public and media won't hold there nerve as shown before and whinge like a nagging wife(yes I love political incorrectness) about how the refs are ruining each game.

The only way anything like this would even remotely work would be to make it a hard rule that as soon as a team gave away 3 penalties(for anything) within a 20 minute window the bunker who is tracking and keeping time, informs the ref that the 10 min sin bin infringement has been initiated and the last penalized player must leave the field. Yes 10 mins, I don't feel 5 mins would be a big enough deterrent.

Then any new penalty that may occur by the same offending team, the player who committed it also has to leave the field and so on until that same team doesn't infringe for more then 20 minutes again.

This way it is taken out of the refs hands and it is a hard and fast rule. Players will not be inclined to give back to back penalties as we see happening now near the goal line in particular and they or the ref won't be to sure if the 20 mins have past.

We could even make it stricter if players are still not getting the message or refs are still to piss weak to blow the whistle and extend the infringement time out to 3 penalties within 30 mins or even a whole half. That way we are almost guaranteed a game of very few deliberate penalties and just as importantly stoppages in play.

But it needs to be a hard 3 successive penalties for anything. Not at the discretion of the referee. That way the rules are the rules and the team did it to themselves. Lets think about this for a second. This type of rule would suit a team like Parramatta more then almost any other team and over night transform us into title favourites. Why? Because notoriously we are one of the more weaker teams in executing the wrestle and generally a fairly clean team, but a very good team if we were allowed to play to the rules. Look at the way the Dragons played against us on the weekend, They would have been to scared to have played that way if these rules were in existence. Their coach could not have taken that risk and he would have had to play a cleaner game, which would have suited us not them.

We would become even less inclined to over play our ruck wrestling technique if a rule as harsh as this were to be introduced. On the other hand teams that flaunt the rules the most like the Storm? They could literally be hobbled if the ARLC and the refs made it their mission to clean up the game once and for all.

Coaches would be living in fear and that is the way it should be, not the game being held to ransom by the coaches as it always seems to be.

Hell I would even be inclined to bring in another supplement rule to the one above mentioned and make it so during any game if a team were to give away 3 ruck and/or off side penalties within their own 22 metres while defending, that the player that was last penalized be sent for 10 too. That way the coaches would be petrified and come down severely on any dumb arse that made such an offense.

If the NRL brought in these two harsh and hard rules that absolved the referee from making discretionary decisions on sin bins, the game would flow and be as quick as it is now. Coaches only coach the players in ways to bend and manipulate the rules because they can see a clear advantage in doing so. This would make any advantage virtually disappear and in fact make a faster game an advantage if they recruited for it over time.

Note: This sin bin rule would only apply to a team when defending or foul play. Accidental penalties, like accidental offside would not be counted.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
And I have this issue with the discretionary nature of it - what if it's 1 point the difference in the GF ( or any game for that matter) in the last 40 seconds and the team down by 1 has the ball 45 out from the try line, and the defending team, up by 1 point, infringe in the ruck... And the ref just signals 6 to go, per HIS discretion... But a penalty for a breach of rules could give the chance for a penalty goal attempt and the win. Or the reverse... Penalty given and team slots a goal to win and the team that infringed turn around and say "that's been 6 again all year Sir, never a penalty!"

So much potential to f**k teams over. We're just lucky most games are so lopsided at the moment that it doesn't matter

There isn't a referee in the NRL with the kahunas big enough to do what you suggested here.

chiefy1

Juniors
Now that Nathan Brown's contract deadline has passed, I hope the eels are looking at Toby Rudolph. Super meter maker, young and definitely an enforcer. probably save 200k on NB aswell

TheRam

Coach
Yep. It appears that every rule change that is made to improve the game is increasingly being abused by clubs to find a new way around them. The NRL is constantly chasing its tail. I understand that teams are always looking for an advantage, but geez.
I blame Melbourne.

That's why you make it a very hash penalty if you abuse the rules and leave it up to the clubs and coaches as to how they deal with the new reality.

They will only have themselves to blame. But then again the fans and media will whinge regardless and then whinge some more when the referees aren't doing their job in policing the rules properly.

Strong and clear rules are in order. Not discretionary, leave it up to the Ref to decide, stuff. The media and fans have turned the refs into eunuchs. What is called for now is hard and clear, nondiscretionary penalties to get us back to where we used to be..

TheRam

Coach
Also I would bring in $20K+ penalties if any official, coach, exec, player associated with any club were to publically criticize the rules of the game. Just like when coaches get fined for criticising a referee after games. It they aren't happy with the rules, go through official channels and to make your grievances heard.

That would stop coaches in particular putting untold pressure on referees through the media to get the refs second guessing themselves and eventually weakening them when on the field trying to do their jobs.

Avenger

Immortal
Now that Nathan Brown's contract deadline has passed, I hope the eels are looking at Toby Rudolph. Super meter maker, young and definitely an enforcer. probably save 200k on NB aswell
Toby Rudolf from the Sharks is one player I’d target for 2022 if we lose either Nathan Brown or Matterson. Big and aggressive. Still only 25 and off contract.

No second prize

TheRam

Coach
Move for Morris now. @TheRam I know your not keen. But you need to trust my judgement on this one. He would be a brilliant attacking coach.

I'm fine with him as an assistant Hindy. I think he would be an excellent choice.

I just don't see him as a head coach anytime soon. Also he bled for our club all those years ago, so he would have an affinity for us and not be just a hired hand. I believe he is good with juniors too, so that is always a plus to any club.

84 Baby

Referee
Hasn't worked in the past, so what makes you think it will work now.

Besides the weak as piss public and media won't hold there nerve as shown before and whinge like a nagging wife(yes I love political incorrectness) about how the refs are ruining each game.

The only way anything like this would even remotely work would be to make it a hard rule that as soon as a team gave away 3 penalties(for anything) within a 20 minute window the bunker who is tracking and keeping time, informs the ref that the 10 min sin bin infringement has been initiated and the last penalized player must leave the field. Yes 10 mins, I don't feel 5 mins would be a big enough deterrent.

Then any new penalty that may occur by the same offending team, the player who committed it also has to leave the field and so on until that same team doesn't infringe for more then 20 minutes again.

This way it is taken out of the refs hands and it is a hard and fast rule. Players will not be inclined to give back to back penalties as we see happening now near the goal line in particular and they or the ref won't be to sure if the 20 mins have past.

We could even make it stricter if players are still not getting the message or refs are still to piss weak to blow the whistle and extend the infringement time out to 3 penalties within 30 mins or even a whole half. That way we are almost guaranteed a game of very few deliberate penalties and just as importantly stoppages in play.

But it needs to be a hard 3 successive penalties for anything. Not at the discretion of the referee. That way the rules are the rules and the team did it to themselves. Lets think about this for a second. This type of rule would suit a team like Parramatta more then almost any other team and over night transform us into title favourites. Why? Because notoriously we are one of the more weaker teams in executing the wrestle and generally a fairly clean team, but a very good team if we were allowed to play to the rules. Look at the way the Dragons played against us on the weekend, They would have been to scared to have played that way if these rules were in existence. Their coach could not have taken that risk and he would have had to play a cleaner game, which would have suited us not them.

We would become even less inclined to over play our ruck wrestling technique if a rule as harsh as this were to be introduced. On the other hand teams that flaunt the rules the most like the Storm? They could literally be hobbled if the ARLC and the refs made it their mission to clean up the game once and for all.

Coaches would be living in fear and that is the way it should be, not the game being held to ransom by the coaches as it always seems to be.

Hell I would even be inclined to bring in another supplement rule to the one above mentioned and make it so during any game if a team were to give away 3 ruck and/or off side penalties within their own 22 metres while defending, that the player that was last penalized be sent for 10 too. That way the coaches would be petrified and come down severely on any dumb arse that made such an offense.

If the NRL brought in these two harsh and hard rules that absolved the referee from making discretionary decisions on sin bins, the game would flow and be as quick as it is now. Coaches only coach the players in ways to bend and manipulate the rules because they can see a clear advantage in doing so. This would make any advantage virtually disappear and in fact make a faster game an advantage if they recruited for it over time.

Note: This sin bin rule would only apply to a team when defending or foul play. Accidental penalties, like accidental offside would not be counted.
Whatever they do, they need to take subjectivity out of it. Refereeing and judicial inconsistencies are a bigger blight on the game than coaches flaunting rules

yy_cheng

Coach
What about Corey Oates... He'll could probably turn out to be like the Panfer's 13.

Latest posts