What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observation 4:kicking game.

sladden road

Juniors
So the kicking game.

Across the last many years from Chad. It seems very very similar . Up and under pin the winger in the corner or straight to the fullback. As observed elsewhere no spin no floaters just end over end. Must be to protect the 7 tackle retstart?
Is this under instruction over and over?
No Moylan kicking..hammies?
No Wado kicking...knees?
No Bradley kicking ...huh?

Can we please mix it up because we know Chad will be no 7. I suppose we need the forwards to get closer to the line to get in force drop out range, but maybe can Chad aim for the ground between players?

What else can be done?

snout

First Grade
I just have one question.
Of many parts.

If a player has signed to play for another club - and he will be a foe next year - and you have guys who he has kept out for years that you need to see - and said player is shit anyway - and you arent going to win anything as it is...then WTFF is this guy being selected every week?

Griffoshark66

First Grade
Of many parts.

If a player has signed to play for another club - and he will be a foe next year - and you have guys who he has kept out for years that you need to see - and said player is shit anyway - and you arent going to win anything as it is...then WTFF is this guy being selected every week?
I agree and I love that you added an extra F.

carinashark

First Grade
I used to bang on about Wade not putting in a grabber or a line kick to move us upfield , then BB stopped it as well, then Tricky got punished for it on here. This has left us with Chad as our go to guy and SJ back in his shell like. But then no one is running when the kick is on...............cept maybe a winger waving his hands in despair.

Weaponhead

Coach
Of many parts.

Perhaps he brings an apple for the coach every Team List Tuesday.

Your point is clear and logical. It has no place in rugby league.

sladden road

Juniors
I just can’t believe that he is not coached to kick like that , otherwise it’s just insane. It’s always the f**king same.

ghoti

Bench
I just can’t believe that he is not coached to kick like that , otherwise it’s just insane. It’s always the f**king same.

i think it's a combination of coaching and chad's choice for game management. his kicks may not be stunning to watch, but they tend to be placed where a coach would want them... kick to the corners, pin them in their 20, control territory, etc --- they may not look great, nor be difficult to catch, but they fit the mould of the (limited) game plan and with a stronger defence and kick chase it wouldn't be as much of a problem.. it's worth watching 2016 games to see how chad's limitations were covered up by a fkn incredible and active defence (Prior, Ennis, Fifita, Bakuya etc all storming the kick return and pushing/driving them back to their line). Maloney's long kicking game also helped territory-wise, and i feel like Chad's short-kicking game behind the in-goal was a shiteload better in that year too.

sadly for us, without the other kick options around him, and without a defence that can take advantage of good placement, Chad's kicking game is dour. the best part of his kicking game atm is that he somehow finds a way to get a kick out of the way despite the defence being all over him, that's the only improvement i can think of

ftr, i reckon Chad will be kicking exactly the same at the Cows, will be coached the same way, etc..

Weaponhead

Coach
The kicking game is definitely to instruction. The program has been loaded and it gets followed. Flanju is exactly the same. The new game rewards eyes up footy more than it used to. This where CT and FJ have to adapt. Big doubts that either can at this point.

bluefox68

Staff member
The kicking game is definitely to instruction. The program has been loaded and it gets followed. Flanju is exactly the same. The new game rewards eyes up footy more than it used to. This where CT and FJ have to adapt. Big doubts that either can at this point.
It’s about coaches evolving as well.

A game that favours the defence’s ability to reset means that pinning a team in their own corner is hugely advantageous.

But, in a game that favours the attacking team’s ability to attract repeat sets, it is just not as effective.

This is why Johnsy and Freddie just love halves that don’t just have a cookie cutter approach to the game!

This is also what separates coaches like Bellamy and Bennett from the rest - they are constantly seeking to evolve...

who gives a toss about torpedo bombs.
most back 3 catch these with no problems these days.
the main objectives are field position and limit the kick return.
a high no frills bomb to the corner caught on the full has the same outcome as one that finds space as long as the defensive line capitalises on the opportunity of time.
our kicks, kick metres and forced drop outs are just fine.
quite a benchmark actually.
variety is all we lack because we rely on Chad TOO much.
and that's not Chad's fault btw.

SharkShocked

Bench
who gives a toss about torpedo bombs.
most back 3 catch these with no problems these days.
the main objectives are field position and limit the kick return.
a high no frills bomb to the corner caught on the full has the same outcome as one that finds space as long as the defensive line capitalises on the opportunity of time.
our kicks, kick metres and forced drop outs are just fine.
quite a benchmark actually.
variety is all we lack because we rely on Chad TOO much.
and that's not Chad's fault btw.

This would be true if his 'no frills' was higher and deeper.

He's always hitting that shallow depth consistently. Good for him if he can consistently find said shallow depth, but every now and then you've gotta go deep ;)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Our whole game plan, is give to Chad.

Not sure I blame him.

Every coach, evrery one.

In 2016 we had 5 opitions, Chad the last, yet most.

Now if Shaun plays Chad plays left, I Molyan has the better hammy, Chad plays right.

BB has clearly be told give to Chad.

Will our best player kicks as an attacking fullbucking should.

ANyways, on the 4th look for Chad, to easssy.

This would be true if his 'no frills' was higher and deeper.

He's always hitting that shallow depth consistently. Good for him if he can consistently find said shallow depth, but every now and then you've gotta go deep ;)
depends where you are on the field.
its all relative.
if we need a long deep bomb I'd blame the forwards.
didn't get us far enough up the field.
long deep bomb from 20 out probably goes into the car park.