What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If so many Canberra players over so long have claimed (or exhibited) mental health issues, maybe it's time to look at the environment rather than the players.

Or maybe he was trying to do the right thing by the club, you know? Like give them time to find a replacement and not leave them in the lurch?

Which would explain why he refused to play and train wouldn't it?

It’s pretty hilarious watching some of these people try to act like the raiders handled this well. They are in a legal stand off with a player that seems well liked. They’ve killed any chance of recovering this season and made themselves look like f**kwits trying to make some point with Williams but they’ve just created a rod for their own back.They had Hooper trying to swing this for them from the start, the first story he wrote was how Williams DUMPED the raiders by text which is complete horseshit so you know good luck recruiting any one decent to that shit show with everyone now knowing exactly where the leak to f**kwit journos is coming from. If they are willing to let him go why not just let him go at the end of the year and avoid all this bull shit which obviously includes the playing group being unhappy, Williams is their best half plus treating him well in this case would’ve done much more for their reputation with their own players and potential recruits. All they’ve done is piss everyone off and made the club look like a big crisis. It’s the dumbest shit I’ve seen from a club in a while that’s for certain.

You might well be right. You're certainly right on Hooper being a f**kwit. You may well be right in saying that the Raiders are doing the wrong thing in terms of how it'll all play out.

But what should they do - bend over and take it because Williams is liked by his team mates, and standing up to him will create a mutiny? If the guy said he wanted out at the end of the year but committed to digging in, I don't think this whole thing happens. But he sooks, texts out of training, says he won't play a f**king round robin game because he's not at his happiest...I'm sure you can see why Raiders management (and especially someone as reactive as Sticky) would get the pip and want to piss him off.

Maybe they need a clear out of sooks - Hodgson certainly seems like one too.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You might well be right. You're certainly right on Hooper being a f**kwit. You may well be right in saying that the Raiders are doing the wrong thing in terms of how it'll all play out.

But what should they do - bend over and take it because Williams is liked by his team mates, and standing up to him will create a mutiny? If the guy said he wanted out at the end of the year but committed to digging in, I don't think this whole thing happens. But he sooks, texts out of training, says he won't play a f**king round robin game because he's not at his happiest...I'm sure you can see why Raiders management (and especially someone as reactive as Sticky) would get the pip and want to piss him off.

he asked three times to be released at end of year, maybe the third refusal was the straw that’s seen him need a week away to figure it out?
I dont think George has handled it well but the club have butchered it and turned it into a pr disaster with Rickys leaking to Hooper who is the last person you’d want to be reporting on such things. IF it’s true about him looking for a Sydney club that puts things in a very different perspective.

If so many Canberra players over so long have claimed (or exhibited) mental health issues, maybe it's time to look at the environment rather than the players.

Or maybe he was trying to do the right thing by the club, you know? Like give them time to find a replacement and not leave them in the lurch?

the reports his manager was shopping him around to other nrl clubs has some substance i hear

I'm 100% hot on mental health as an issue. But if he truly got his agent to contact Sydney clubs to live by the beach, and he doesn't like Canberra (as Hooper says and we know his mail is coming right out of the inner santcum at the Raiders) then nah. Another example of people claiming mental anguish when things aren't going their way, which is much different to clinically diagnosed depression, anxiety etc.

this

bileduct

Coach
he asked three times to be released at end of year, maybe the third refusal was the straw that’s seen him need a week away to figure it out?
I dont think George has handled it well but the club have butchered it and turned it into a pr disaster with Rickys leaking to Hooper who is the last person you’d want to be reporting on such things. IF it’s true about him looking for a Sydney club that puts things in a very different perspective.
Oh, does it now? Thanks for catching up, champ.

The thing about Hooper's articles about George Williams is, other than the headlines which he doesn't write, they've been 100% correct so far. The headline was the only thing Williams objected to. The article itself was actually in alignment with what Williams himself said.

The Raiders knew they were dealing with a guy who was already putting out feelers to other NRL clubs for season 2022, who then suddenly chucked the sads and refused to pick up a ball immediately after being denied another request for them to let him go.

And he was so gutless he did it by text message.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh, does it now? Thanks for catching up, champ.

The thing about Hooper's articles about George Williams is, other than the headlines which he doesn't write, they've been 100% correct so far. The headline was the only thing Williams objected to. The article itself was actually in alignment with what Williams himself said.

The Raiders knew they were dealing with a guy who was already putting out feelers to other NRL clubs for season 2022, who then suddenly chucked the sads and refused to pick up a ball immediately after being denied another request for them to let him go.

And he was so gutless he did it by text message.

LONDON CALLING: How George Williams dumped the Raiders by TEXT

“Apart for the heading”? Lol that’s all most read!

I don’t think Williams texting the welfare officer to say he’s not feeling well is inappropriate at all, he then had a phone conversation with the coach. Probably says something about the relationship Stuart has with the players, ask the eels players he coached how good a man manager he is! For Stuart to then go to Furner and tell him to get rid without saying something to Williams in the conversation is pretty “gutless” Id say!

THE CHAMP

First Grade

If a clean out of sooks is going to happen then a new coach will be required

Perth Red

Post Whore
After Wigan’s drubbing by catalans last night, and the fact Williams will only cost a very small amount on their cap due to being home developed, fully expect to see him in the cherry and white within next few weeks,

It’s pretty hilarious watching some of these people try to act like the raiders handled this well. They are in a legal stand off with a player that seems well liked. They’ve killed any chance of recovering this season and made themselves look like f**kwits trying to make some point with Williams but they’ve just created a rod for their own back.They had Hooper trying to swing this for them from the start, the first story he wrote was how Williams DUMPED the raiders by text which is complete horseshit so you know good luck recruiting any one decent to that shit show with everyone now knowing exactly where the leak to f**kwit journos is coming from. If they are willing to let him go why not just let him go at the end of the year and avoid all this bull shit which obviously includes the playing group being unhappy, Williams is their best half plus treating him well in this case would’ve done much more for their reputation with their own players and potential recruits. All they’ve done is piss everyone off and made the club look like a big crisis. It’s the dumbest shit I’ve seen from a club in a while that’s for certain.

treating him well ?

williams went to social media first , to whine .. like a typical pommy & make the raiders look like they're the bad guys
if he hadn't , thered of been no leaks , he chose to make the fight public.

again
I am told , by good sources he was actively being shoppped around & the Raiders knew this so any chance of a release on his terms was gone

bileduct

Coach

I don’t think Williams texting the welfare officer to say he’s not feeling well is inappropriate at all, he then had a phone conversation with the coach. Probably says something about the relationship Stuart has with the players, ask the eels players he coached how good a man manager he is! For Stuart to then go to Furner and tell him to get rid without saying something to Williams in the conversation is pretty “gutless” Id say!
Derrrrrppppp....

I already said the headline was wrong, dopey. Hooper's reporting, on the other hand, is 100% correct.

If you have a serious issue that prevents you from training and playing games it's hardly appropriate to just rattle off a text message saying you can't come in. It's generally considered to be poor practise in most circumstances, and particularly bad if you've been angling for a release, are known to have put out feelers to other NRL clubs and you were just denied an early exit from your contract 5 minutes prior.

how do you know he didn't tell him ?
were you privy to the conversation ?

again
stuart & furner knew he was playing them for fools. Expecting good faith when you're not showing any.
I think williams got what he deserved.

Perth Red

Post Whore

no the third turn down of his request to leave at end of season the night before was.
Hodgson wants the England hooker sport for the RLWC, not surprised he’s not happy warming the bench.

that wasn’t in the first article Williams responded to. He hasn’t responded to that accusation in the follow ping beat up as far as I know,
Not sure why you care so much or why you think you are so well informed ..... I’d be guessing you are miles off in regards to the actual situation

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
no the third turn down of his request to leave at end of season the night before was.
Hodgson wants the England hooker sport for the RLWC, not surprised he’s not happy warming the bench.

As others have said, the Raiders very likely knew he'd already put out feelers to Sydney clubs. So quite rightly, they thought nah F ya. And then Williams sooked it up, and didn't even have the respect to show up and discuss his situation face to face.

And if Hodgson wants the England hooker spot, he'd probably want to play better wouldn't he? No jersey is guaranteed to anyone. At any level.