What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
So we’re letting our fullback go...there was a gun replacement available, but we decided...meh...we don’t need a fullback. Yep. Dragons footy right there.

And there it is- yes, we have promising juniors coming through but as we've discovered with the Faingais, and the Roosters are discovering with Sualii, it either takes time for these junior talents to find their feet in the NRL or like Luc found, being the biggest kid in the NYC playground didn't guarantee success in the NRL without a lot of hard work. When an exceptional, proven NRL talent like Addo-Carr, Burton and Hynes comes along, this club should be in the market for them to guarantee we don't have another year in the wilderness with all the associated problems of members not renewing, poor crowds and general depression.

And there it is- yes, we have promising juniors coming through but as we've discovered with the Faingais, and the Roosters are discovering with Sualii, it either takes time for these junior talents to find their feet in the NRL or like Luc found, being the biggest kid in the NYC playground didn't guarantee success in the NRL without a lot of hard work. When an exceptional, proven NRL talent like Addo-Carr, Burton and Hynes comes along, this club should be in the market for them to guarantee we don't have another year in the wilderness with all the associated problems of members not renewing, poor crowds and general depression.
Yep, what I don’t get with the recruitment is that is clear as mud the team needs experienced proven campaigners in a number of positions that are also there to bring the young guns through. Teach them professionalism etc. the side has some but not in the right positions as far as I am concerned. It’s why you have seen years of young players switching positions and frankly getting wasted because they simply have no on field leadership next to them.
Hook knows his stuff, he will be planning. Have no doubt about that. Some recruits may seem odd or WtF moments moving forward, but I’d bet they will be specific positions for experience to finally bring the best out of these great kids.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Is it just me, or are our juniors Shitty compared to say Penriff, Parra, or the abundance of juniors out of Queensland that Melbourne seem to get? Our juniors are that shit that we had to pull Beale out of retirement instead of using one of our juniors? What was the point in merging with Illawarra then?

Is it just me, or are our juniors Shitty compared to say Penriff, Parra, or the abundance of juniors out of Queensland that Melbourne seem to get? Our juniors are that shit that we had to pull Beale out of retirement instead of using one of our juniors? What was the point in merging with Illawarra then?

I think our juniors need a stronger development structure to be NRL-ready when they come through. Penrith have invested immensely in this. Look at them now.

The Storm n Roosters also have a factory of ready-made replacements to step up to first grade..

We are a long way behind, but with a huge junior base to farm from.

But I’m with you... why has this coach brought in players who’s best years are behind them ... McCullough, Beale etc... I did get the McGuire signing as we lack starch in the middle but it’s with risk he’d miss games - and here we are...

We’ve turned into the Broncos retirement home...

Griffin
Gentle
Hunt
Norman
McCullough
Bird
McGuire
Beale

Seriously.... Yes Hunt n Norman weren’t signed on his watch but...

the only rationale for the rest I can see for this is Griffin wants to have allies in the dressing room... guys who’ve played for him and possibly glad they’ve had their careers extended. Hard-heads showing the way? Maybe McGuire but not the others....

We’ve won 1 game in the last 8 rounds. And that was against the 16th place bulldogs. That’s dire no matter what the circumstances.

This bloke spoke of “focussing on junior development” as a strategy yet Beale, McCullough etc....

He was sacked from his last two jobs. He’s not off to a great start with the Dragons. He’s recruited these ex broncos...

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Hynes at 600k. To be honest I’m not overly fussed that we missed out. I’d suggest that everyone keep their powder dry and judge him OUTSIDE OF THE STORM SYSTEM when he’s running the side without all the trimmings such as Bellamy, Munster, Hughes, Smith, Papa, Grant etc etc
I agree overs for what he has done thus far as a 6?, but not overs if he is a half decent 5/8th.
Storm wanted him and would not offer that much
Sharks are offloading a few to fit all in the cap
Finucane next on their list

thebigredv

First Grade
I agree overs for what he has done thus far as a 6?, but not overs if he is a half decent 5/8th.
Storm wanted him and would not offer that much
Sharks are offloading a few to fit all in the cap
Finucane next on their list

Each to their own. I feel he is a great pick up at 600k. Versatile, proven and has stood up with some bigger storm players missing. I don't think storm could talk him into staying for a pay cut and in the end simply could not afford him with their salary cap brimming.

This place would have been abuzz if we had landed him but it looks as though we didn't even try.

BLM01

First Grade
Each to their own. I feel he is a great pick up at 600k. Versatile, proven and has stood up with some bigger storm players missing. I don't think storm could talk him into staying for a pay cut and in the end simply could not afford him with their salary cap brimming.

This place would have been abuzz if we had landed him but it looks as though we didn't even try.
He has stood up, very minimal games at 6 though. For me unproven. He looks good at 1 in a good Storm team and forward pack.
No doubt Hynes can play but at 600K is a big gamble, but may prove worth it.
Not signing off on that one yet.

redv13

Bench
He has stood up, very minimal games at 6 though. For me unproven. He looks good at 1 in a good Storm team and forward pack.
No doubt Hynes can play but at 600K is a big gamble, but may prove worth it.
Not signing off on that one yet.
Some people are never happy. Hypothetical:
We signed him for 3 years at 600k and everyone is cock a hoop. Comes along in 2022 and struggles without his usual storm structure and A1 players around him then people will be blowing up “ what a waste, useless, yada yada “
Let him go to Cronulla and IF he fires good luck to them, IF he struggles then people will be stoked in here. Sorry but after 22 1st grade games with the cream of the crop around him I’ll pass and take a shot and say 2022 will be a totally different scenario for Hynes

thebigredv

First Grade
Some people are never happy. Hypothetical:

In my hypothetical we ditch Norman, Hynes plays a dominant 5 games in the season at 3/4 the cost and we are already an improved side.not that far fetched.

I'm not prepared to say Hynes would have been our saviour but he will prove to be an astute pick up.

Heard today DWZ is being lured to the Tigers. He is on 800k per year at Dogs. Like Norman, THAT is what you call a waste of money.

redv13

Bench
In my hypothetical we ditch Norman, Hynes plays a dominant 5 games in the season at 3/4 the cost and we are already an improved side.not that far fetched.

I'm not prepared to say Hynes would have been our saviour but he will prove to be an astute pick up.

Heard today DWZ is being lured to the Tigers. He is on 800k per year at Dogs. Like Norman, THAT is what you call a waste of money.
Yeah DWZ on 800K is out of control. I’d happily take Mbye next year especially if Wests are covering half his salary

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sloan hasn't played much wing, hence his position in reggies. This will transition him into 1st grade in that very position.
Ramsey will get first chance at fullback, but having Tyrell there as a wing/fullback in case Ramsey isn't the cutting it.

slippery5

Juniors
Hynes at 600k. To be honest I’m not overly fussed that we missed out. I’d suggest that everyone keep their powder dry and judge him OUTSIDE OF THE STORM SYSTEM when he’s running the side without all the trimmings such as Bellamy, Munster, Hughes, Smith, Papa, Grant etc etc
They weren't in the Storm side when he was man of the match against us.

redv13

Bench
They weren't in the Storm side when he was man of the match against us.
But you also forget we had a period with 11 men and nearly 70 mins with 12. Until Dufty went off injured we were more than a pain in their ass. The kid has talent but I’m not sure he’s the big kahuna to lead a side around the park every week from 2022

slippery5

Juniors
But you also forget we had a period with 11 men and nearly 70 mins with 12. Until Dufty went off injured we were more than a pain in their ass. The kid has talent but I’m not sure he’s the big kahuna to lead a side around the park every week from 2022
When Harry Grant was talked up as the next big thing to Cameron Smith before either of them had played NRL, he & Hynes were the reason why the Sunshine Coast Falcons were minor premiers in Qld Cup. Trust me this Kid looks good not just because he is in the Storm system.

redv13

Bench
When Harry Grant was talked up as the next big thing to Cameron Smith before either of them had played NRL, he & Hynes were the reason why the Sunshine Coast Falcons were minor premiers in Qld Cup. Trust me this Kid looks good not just because he is in the Storm system.
No doubt the kid is good, but I’ll judge him next year when the pressures on and he’s the man. Hope he does well but like I said before I’m not devastated that we missed out. Big $$$ comes big responsibility