What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

Dragons4me

Juniors
No doubt the kid is good, but I’ll judge him next year when the pressures on and he’s the man. Hope he does well but like I said before I’m not devastated that we missed out. Big $$$ comes big responsibility

Excellent post. Exactly this. For every one high priced success story player there's plenty of those who aren't. He's what, 25 years old so he's going for his pay day. Good luck to him. Matty Moylan says hi by the way! :smirk::smirk:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
Sloan hasn't played much wing, hence his position in reggies. This will transition him into 1st grade in that very position.
Ramsey will get first chance at fullback, but having Tyrell there as a wing/fullback in case Ramsey isn't the cutting it.
Ive seen Sloan play 6 though and he looked pretty slick. An option if they decide to turn Amone into a lock.

BLM01

First Grade
In my hypothetical we ditch Norman, Hynes plays a dominant 5 games in the season at 3/4 the cost and we are already an improved side.not that far fetched.

I'm not prepared to say Hynes would have been our saviour but he will prove to be an astute pick up.

Heard today DWZ is being lured to the Tigers. He is on 800k per year at Dogs. Like Norman, THAT is what you call a waste of money.
I like DWZ as a player in his running and efforts
He just has a multitude of errors with him
It may be clear the Dogs will give 1st shot at 1 to JAC

BLM01

First Grade
I

Ive seen Sloan play 6 though and he looked pretty slick. An option if they decide to turn Amone into a lock.
Why would you take a back and a future star like Amone with a great step who has not had a chance to start in his natural position and turn him into a middle 13 in today’s game :laughing:
maybe 1970s lock where they used to hang out wide and ball play and cover defend may work

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I think our juniors need a stronger development structure to be NRL-ready when they come through. Penrith have invested immensely in this. Look at them now.

The Storm n Roosters also have a factory of ready-made replacements to step up to first grade..

We are a long way behind, but with a huge junior base to farm from.

But I’m with you... why has this coach brought in players who’s best years are behind them ... McCullough, Beale etc... I did get the McGuire signing as we lack starch in the middle but it’s with risk he’d miss games - and here we are...

We’ve turned into the Broncos retirement home...

Griffin
Gentle
Hunt
Norman
McCullough
McGuire
Beale

Seriously.... Yes Hunt n Norman weren’t signed on his watch but...

the only rationale for the rest I can see for this is Griffin wants to have allies in the dressing room... guys who’ve played for him and possibly glad they’ve had their careers extended. Hard-heads showing the way? Maybe McGuire but not the others....

We’ve won 1 game in the last 8 rounds. And that was against the 16th place bulldogs. That’s dire no matter what the circumstances.

This bloke spoke of “focussing on junior development” as a strategy yet Beale, McCullough etc....

He was sacked from his last two jobs. He’s not off to a great start with the Dragons. He’s recruited these ex broncos...

Interesting times ahead.

agree with you 100 percent. I know it’s only year 1 for Hook, but I am not impressed yet.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Why would you take a back and a future star like Amone with a great step who has not had a chance to start in his natural position and turn him into a middle 13 in today’s game :laughing:
maybe 1970s lock where they used to hang out wide and ball play and cover defend may work
That’s just what the talk has been. It’s not my suggestion. If it were up to me he would have replaced Norman by now.

be55

Juniors
A few well respected forum members on here and one of the commentators in his debut game on 9 was saying hook sees him as a ball playing backrower.
Mate...I'm sure @George Dragon posted about it a while back, that the club saw him eventually playing that role...

When you look at him, he is 6ft tall and 89kg, and he's still only 19, and has nowhere near filled out...

If George did post about it, then you can bet he's not far off the money...he is in the know on most things when it comes to the makeup of the team...

Whatever the case, he's a kid of immense promise and he'll only improve the more time he spends in first grade...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A few well respected forum members on here and one of the commentators in his debut game on 9 was saying hook sees him as a ball playing backrower.

Yes- one of the commentators also said he was still growing into his body type and by the time that finished, he would be more suited to the backrow. Having said that, there've been plenty of big halves in the past and the present (eg Olsen Filipaina, Wally Lewis, Jack Wighton- probably Josh Schuster in the near future) so back row isn't a fait accompli just because you're big.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think our juniors need a stronger development structure to be NRL-ready when they come through. Penrith have invested immensely in this. Look at them now.

The Storm n Roosters also have a factory of ready-made replacements to step up to first grade..

We are a long way behind, but with a huge junior base to farm from.

But I’m with you... why has this coach brought in players who’s best years are behind them ... McCullough, Beale etc... I did get the McGuire signing as we lack starch in the middle but it’s with risk he’d miss games - and here we are...

We’ve turned into the Broncos retirement home...

Griffin
Gentle
Hunt
Norman
McCullough
McGuire
Beale

Seriously.... Yes Hunt n Norman weren’t signed on his watch but...

the only rationale for the rest I can see for this is Griffin wants to have allies in the dressing room... guys who’ve played for him and possibly glad they’ve had their careers extended. Hard-heads showing the way? Maybe McGuire but not the others....

We’ve won 1 game in the last 8 rounds. And that was against the 16th place bulldogs. That’s dire no matter what the circumstances.

This bloke spoke of “focussing on junior development” as a strategy yet Beale, McCullough etc....

He was sacked from his last two jobs. He’s not off to a great start with the Dragons. He’s recruited these ex broncos...

Interesting times ahead.

I've noticed recently that Hook's compulsive chewing seems to be getting harder and faster. He's obviously feeling the pressure. I don't know if he's the author of our "Moneyball" approach to recruitment as Millward and Haran are part of the recruitment/retention set up as well. Cheap, risky offloads from other clubs will fill up a roster, but, like Asian food, ultimately not satisfy.

Crush

Coach
I've noticed recently that Hook's compulsive chewing seems to be getting harder and faster. He's obviously feeling the pressure. I don't know if he's the author of our "Moneyball" approach to recruitment as Millward and Haran are part of the recruitment/retention set up as well. Cheap, risky offloads from other clubs will fill up a roster, but, like Asian food, ultimately not satisfy.
You aren’t satisfied with Asian food?