What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Bluebet Stadium 2/7/21

emjaycee

Coach
People are not ignoring this. They are suggesting that the only way we are able to score isnt off smart attacking play where we can open up a defense but off a lottery. You do understand the difference right?
Papali'i try was nothing planned or great. Just a casual bomb with a solid chase. The fullback decided not to try and catch it, the bounce favoured us. We scored.
Sivo try was a high ball, Blake being tall managed to bat the ball back, it got to Sivo and we score.

Worth the same points? Yeah sure are. But they are only scored with some element of luck to them and no real gaurantee it will work another time.
Very different then a grubber kick that catches someone out of position or for example JAC from 80mtrs out. They are smart plays. Well drilled.

Hoiking the ball high into the air and hoping for a favourable bounce or an opposition error isn't exactly rugby league. Its more a stain in our game if ask me. The only skill involved is the height and placement of kick. And yes this does require skill but its bloody boring and a shitty way to accumulate points if ask me.

If people are unable to see this then they are very one eyed.
25 tries from kicks in 16 games.
How many from high bombs, how many from well-placed cross field kicks and how many from grubbers do you think?

lingard

Coach
Like Dunster, he was never really tested. Olam got outside him a few times but otherwise we were lucky it was wet and Melbourne were cautious about going wide. Do you really think Niukore wouldn't have been exposed if he'd played right centre against Manly or Souths? Opacic is a better defender and Souths still got around him easily.

Not as much as Waqa. I would like to see Marata back at right centre and Opacec back to left centre. And Waqa right wing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not as much as Waqa. I would like to see Marata back at right centre and Opacec back to left centre. And Waqa right wing.
I would like to see Blake on the wing too, but Niukore would be badly exposed against the good teams, even without Drown on his inside. Hopefully Penisini is ready for 20+ games next year.

Chipmunk

Coach
We score more against the bottom 6 than the top sides?

Really?

I can't for the life of me explain why that might be............
The original comment was around the comparison being made that we'd scored the same amount of tries as the Panthers.

My point was us playing the bottom 6 teams (8 games) twice as many times as the Panthers (4 games) has probably significantly contributed to that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The original comment was around the comparison being made that we'd scored the same amount of tries as the Panthers.

My point was us playing the bottom 6 teams (8 games) twice as many times as the Panthers (4 games) has probably significantly contributed to that.
But then you said Penrith score more against the top sides than the bottom sides, so if they had played the bottom sides as much as us they would have scored even fewer tries.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I am having a whisky I front of a fire. I do not care that much. It's just a game. We are doing OK. We will make finals. I will enjoy the semis.
Same, except I have the central heating going and I'm sipping some of this with pineapple juice and dry ginger ale:

24439-1.png

And very cheap gin, obviously.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Except for that as has been pointed out, that's not a static measure. Penrith for example faced Manly in round four when they were zero from three, -82 PD and dead motherless last. Again when they played them in round nine they were eighth, And you're counting those games as against a top six.

If you look at the positions of the opponents in those games at the time of those games, for the first ten rounds for example, Penrith played six games against opponents who were in the bottom six at the beginning of that particular round, then three against teams 7th -10th,

And only one game against a team in the top six.

EDIT: actually that one game was round three against the Storm, who were 9th at the beginning of the round, so it's actually 6 games against bottom six, 4 against 7th - 10th ranked sides, and zero against top six.

So for your point to be at all valid, you'd need to value a teams current position on the ladder as a proxy for their form up to 16 rounds ago.

That's er, um, an interesting way of doing things.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
But then you said Penrith score more against the top sides than the bottom sides, so if they had played the bottom sides as much as us they would have scored even fewer tries.

Or as per above, maybe they f**king didn't, and current ladder position is a shit proxy for previous form.

stryker

First Grade
What are you on about? Missing a difficult goal kick? The guy played well.
No he played solid. If he played well he would have driven Parra home with a late try, a field goal or that conversion. He was not only trying to get the win for his club, but also audition for the vacant origin spot. In the end, he didn’t do enough.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or as per above, maybe they f**king didn't, and current ladder position is a shit proxy for previous form.
I actually think current ladder position is a better measure than the opponent's ladder position at the time because the quality of a team is emergent over the greatest number of games. Measuring at the end of the season would be even better than measuring now.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We let in soft tries against the top teams because we defend so much more because they usually complete their sets and are relentless. It’s not like the players are lazy or forget to defend. They are physically spent. It’s why Lane missed that tackle on their hooker that let in a ‘soft’ try.

The problem is it seems to be rectified with other top coaches whilst ours appears to be too loyal to the usual suspects that let us down.

Yes he has dropped Fergo but that was a long time coming but I’d be also moving Marata back to centre and Blake to the wing and dropping Dunster who hasn’t been impressive to me at all.

lane physically spend after playing 11 mins into the second half....he only played 20 or so mins in the first half plus had the half time break....

BTW, it was really Paulo’s lack of effort which lead to the try. Lane pushed up with decent line speed. But Paulo hung back creating the hole….

Latest posts