What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Following is from this article on the ABC News website (source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07...irus-melbourne-lockdown-sydney-qld/100297212#) -

a9185fcc-2cb4-4270-ad34-16de757a2875.jpg

Key Event

Queensland declares Victoria a hotspot from 1:00am tomorrow​

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says:
"In terms of Victoria, Victoria has entered that lock down period and, once again, Queenslanders wish Victorians all the very best as they go through that 5-day lock down."

"Because of that lock down, and the increase in the cases and restrictions there ... Queensland will be declaring Victoria a hotspot from 1:00am tomorrow.

"That is 1:00am Saturday and that means that anyone returning after that time from — Queenslanders will have to do the 14 days mandatory quarantine.

"This is — I just think the clear message to Queenslanders is definitely do not go to New South Wales and do not go to Victoria during this period of time."

So looks like the Storm were wise to move when they did.

johns_reds

First Grade
Players wives should stay at home, why do they get special exemption?

if players don’t like it, stay at home and clubs stop paying them, watch how quickly they will be keen to get back out there

Generalzod

Immortal
Players wives should stay at home, why do they get special exemption?

if players don’t like it, stay at home and clubs stop paying them, watch how quickly they will be keen to get back out there
I thought Anastassia refused entry to players wives...

Generalzod

Immortal
For the moment they have, but it is only because the QLD government wanted more info around how/where they were in quarantine etc

They’ll be let in just not this weekend I reckon
What would happen if Queensland goes into lockdown with this delta variant, what going to happen to the Rugby League?

The_Frog

First Grade
Ridiculous advantage for all the Queensland teams getting to play at home every game... I guess moreso for the Storm actually if they have to play in Queensland because they never lose up there.

I bet we'll end up having to play our 'home' game against the Broncos at Suncorp. Little known fact- we've not played them in Penrith since 2016.
If that happens it will be the 8th time in a row these sides have met at Lang Park. Panthers should at least get something from the gate, because this will draw well if full crowds are allowed.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
As for the NRL relationship with international footy, this hasn’t changed in the past 40 years. The NRL and the Clubs are concerned about those things that make them money, hence the over long season and SOO. Internationals are an interference to that, hence no ANZAC Day Tests any more and especially now players want more time off post season.

How will Australia get square for this week’s announcement that the World Cup is going ahead whether Australia go or not?

The question is complicated by the fact the now-IRL is dominated by Australia, with Wayne Pearce and Peter Beattie on it. How did they vote on the World Cup issue? In any case the international game is showing some bravado.

As much as I hate to say this on Challenge Cup final week, the British game is a mess with TV rights just about halved and teams not fulfilling fixtures (that’s aside from official Covid-related cancellations and postponements).

The sport can’t afford to put players in bubbles and games get called off because of cases and contact positives every week. And now the NRL is spending too much money to be the knight it may otherwise have been. It can lend expertise but not investment – and the English don’t seem to want to help themselves.

English RL Superlegue has been on its knees financially for decades. Clubs regularly tottered on the brink of bankruptcy. When you are that cash strapped, you often make sub-optimal decisions which is what the Poms have done. They have tried to keep going but have had so many games cancelled due to Covid that the only way to keep the competition going was to change the table ranking to an average win:loss basis. So weaker teams faced with a certain loss and probably negative income from a match weren’t overly keen on playing (try telling me that NRL clubs wouldn’t do the same).

The decision to go ahead with the World Cup isn’t so stupid when you consider that not doing so would likely finish English Rugby League.

A poor man often makes desperate decisions.