What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

TheRam

Coach
I'm not sure any of us know how much time they spend on training attack v defense. I agree with you that the issue is more about execution than it is about our game.

Bennett's Souths team have had some atrocious performances this year - worse than anything Parra have dished up. I don't think he's a great example to refer to at the moment when talking about how to get players prepared.

He is lacking the cattle in the forwards. Nothing to do with him not knowing how to prepare his team. We have a superior team to his if we were coached better in my opinion. They have faster backs though with more talent there. But we could easily overcome them if we had a better understanding of how to game plan or some real speed out wide. South's have had blowout scores put against them because of the deficiencies in their forward rotation and therefore it is way to hard to maintain a high level for the whole year. So as soon as they drop a little in intensity or a few players are out. BAM blowouts can happen. Just like us, they won't win it, unless injuries or there are some real bad refereeing decisions go their way.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The bolted bit is bang on.

We have some real footballers in this side - Moses, Paulo, Nathan Brown, Lane, and Matterson are all creative, and attacking players, but we tend to panic when we cannot score at will.
Big time. I think the predictable structure has come about because of that. If we leave the players with too much discretion I tend to think they shit themselves sometimes. Particularly if the tries are hard to come by.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He is lacking the cattle in the forwards. Nothing to do with him not knowing how to prepare his team. We have a superior team to his if we were coached better in my opinion. They have faster backs though with more talent there. But we could easily overcome them if we had a better understanding of how to game plan or some real speed out wide. South's have had blowout scores put against them because of the deficiencies in their forward rotation and therefore it is way to hard to maintain a high level for the whole year. So as soon as they drop a little in intensity or a few players are out. BAM blowouts can happen. Just like us, they won't win it, unless injuries or there are some real bad refereeing decisions go their way.
So if we play poorly it’s due to coaching, but if South’s play poorly there are other reasons? Cool.

Chipmunk

Coach
Do any of the top 5 teams have their halves as far away from the dummy half as what we do?

A long pass from dummy half might sound beneficial, but I'm not seeing this making our attack more efficient...if anything it is a hindrance. All our attack that leads to a break or try seems to come from shorter passes from dummy half, not long ones.

TheRam

Coach
Good coaching is to play to a teams strengths and recognise their limitations. You cant just say "play like the storm" and expect it to happen without turning us into the storm everywhere else on an off the field.

Not hard to work out? Mate, you'll need some metamucil and a pencil they way you're going...

That's exactly what I didn't say. I just don't think we are coach well offensively and we need a change. But anyway. Whatever. I think I have had enough of this. We can agree to disagree mate.

JokerEel

Coach
So if we play poorly it’s due to coaching, but if South’s play poorly there are other reasons? Cool.

Yes and No for me Souths have been blown out by the Panthers / Storm that was down to the players. (they have only lost to Storm/Panthers this season)

Us losing to St George down to players Us losing last night down to coaching.

Chipmunk

Coach
Our issue with attack last night is pretty simple, JA / Drown aren’t up to leaving the side around yet if the opposition matches us.

Moses is more important to our side / attack then we realise

Additionally I reckon Cartwright should start/get more time on the edge to provide another “attacking point”. Not questioning Papas form (it’s been brilliant) but his attack is more run, doesn’t really have a pass / offload in him recently (few times last time in was in “space” but could get the ball out). And his metres are probably better used in the middle where he can provide a quick play the ball more often. Thus creating more room for our edges.
I don't get the point of even having Cartwright on the bench. We obviously have instructed him to play an unnatural game for him, after maybe making a couple errors (but also setting up a few tries). He definitely needs more time on the field and just let him play naturally, or don't pick him at all.

Chipmunk

Coach
But we need to do something different if we want to challenge the top teams at the end of the year. Our current system of work to the right post for 2-3 tackles, shift left, work back to the middle and kick and hope is too easy for decent teams to defend against.

I'd argue that our plan inside the 20 metres is 5 one out hit ups to setup and hope for the best on a plucky kick.

TheRam

Coach
Everyone said that Barrett was the reason why the Pennys were good and that they would fall in a heap when he left. Then Barrett the attack coach goes to his new club and bugger me why his new team isn't firing on all cylinders. How come ?

Not everyone mate. Cleary is a great coach. Barrett is a excuse-a-thon.

Chipmunk

Coach
Until a better idea is presented I suspect we will see more of the same.

Do you have one?

We at a minimum need a new attack coach. We've had the same one since BA commenced as the head coach. I'd consider a change to the guy in charge of defence too. How many different senior assistant coaches responsible for the attack and defence have Bellyache and Robinson had during their tenure? I'll count just the period BA has been at Parra for Bellyache.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's exactly what I didn't say. I just don't think we are coach well offensively and we need a change. But anyway. Whatever. I think I have had enough of this. We can agree to disagree mate.
C'mon mate. I was just getting started. I even took my pants off to get comfy...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yes and No for me Souths have been blown out by the Panthers / Storm that was down to the players. (they have only lost to Storm/Panthers this season)

Us losing to St George down to players Us losing last night down to coaching.
I reckon in both instances it was down to both the players and the coach.

JokerEel

Coach
I reckon in both instances it was down to both the players and the coach.

Possibly for us but getting 50 put on you is an attitude issue which is mainly on the players. Maybe Wayne didn't have the players prepared enough who knows its Souths so who cares..

Every game we have lost (apart from Souths) the opposition have muscled up against us and we didn't have a plan B.

Souths attacked our weakness on the edges which is their bread and butter..

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What if we entertain the thought that over the years we have had many players come and go, but the one constant has been Murphy.
Strangely enough, thats been raised quite a few times since last night...

You reckon he's stinking up the joint?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Possibly for us but getting 50 put on you is an attitude issue which is mainly on the players. Maybe Wayne didn't have the players prepared enough who knows its Souths so who cares..
If a team gets beaten by 50 the coach can't escape criticism. BA hasn't when its happened to us.

TheRam

Coach
Strangely enough, thats been raised quite a few times since last night...

You reckon he's stinking up the joint?

No idea, but has been brought up before, but a change is as good as a holiday. Since we look so clueless in attack against quality teams that can play an up beat game, then why not try something different. Even when we win, we aren't playing an enterprising game really. Just that we have to much muscle for the lesser lights to withstand. What have we got to lose? So far the results haven't been all that impressive have they against the better teams?

Latest posts