What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
Gardner is having the last say and is pulling the strings.
If there's someone ultimately responsible for signing Mann and Fitz and risking losing Watson it's him.
Gotta disagree here, it's not that black and white.

All have been offered contracts and Watson chose to shop himself around (nothing wrong with that btw) and it's to be determined if he accepts.

If anything I'd say we've been managing our cap well this year with our signings and re-signings.

I will agree in a perfect world you wouldn't offer Mann or Fitz anything though...

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I remember reading he was on about $550K per year when we signed him which was a leap of faith given he was still fairly inexperienced at that time and I think we’d all agree that so far we didn’t receive value for money over the first 3 years of his deal. TBF that’s been mainly due to injuries and he’s been good so far this year but I hope he’s being reasonable about his expectations.

TooheysNew

Coach
I remember reading he was on about $550K per year when we signed him which was a leap of faith given he was still fairly inexperienced at that time and I think we’d all agree that so far we didn’t receive value for money over the first 3 years of his deal. TBF that’s been mainly due to injuries and he’s been good so far this year but I hope he’s being reasonable about his expectations.
$500, but that was before he extended for a year while injured. I don't think he was on anywhere near that this year, and I don't think his new offer came with much of an upgrade on this year.

Jono078

Referee
I'm positive we've discussed this previously in this thread, but what is the sweet spot for someone like Watson ?

Gagai just signed for 500k.
Pearce re-signed for allegedly around 600k.
Saifiti's probably in the Pearce range I'm guessing?

I think 400-450 for Watson would be acceptable, at least in his current role

Loose Cannon

Bench
I'm positive we've discussed this previously in this thread, but what is the sweet spot for someone like Watson ?

According to reports, he wants a starting role. I’m not sure that is best for Knights structure, but he is a good chance of starting 13 as the game goes forward.
Early 400’s is reasonable for me in that situation. Even at 14 playing 60 in current form. Bench utility is becoming increasingly more valuable with the current crop.

Spot On

Coach

Pretty sure Pearce was given 700K.

Where did you get Gagai’s number from?

PhilGould

Bench
I'd happily give Watson $500k and the starting 13 jersey. Saifiti's and Watson as your middle forwards is a great combo for where the game is going.

All have been offered contracts and Watson chose to shop himself around (nothing wrong with that btw) and it's to be determined if he accepts.
And you think Gardner didn't have a big say about that, what was offered and who was priority?
Mann and Fitz were favoured over Watson. Fitz looked around too but he isn't worth much.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Gardner is having the last say and is pulling the strings.
If there's someone ultimately responsible for signing Mann and Fitz and risking losing Watson it's him.
Well that is leadership at least. Like it or not we have required that for longer than I can recall.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Im not sure what we’re complaining about here. Is it that Gardner hasn’t signed Watson at all costs?

If so I’m totally cool with that.

If it’s because he signed Fitz and Mann before Watson then how do we know for sure Watson wasn’t a priority of the 3. I’m positive he would’ve been offered the best contract of the 3.

Old dog

Juniors
Watson may have been his own enemy, shopped himself around after offer, took a few weeks during which time Mann and Fitz along with others got signed or upgraded then Watson comes back to the table and asks for more. All of this without an agent acting on his behalf.
I hope we sign him and then it’s up to him to promote himself on the field.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Im not sure what we’re complaining about here. Is it that Gardner hasn’t signed Watson at all costs?

If so I’m totally cool with that.

If it’s because he signed Fitz and Mann before Watson then how do we know for sure Watson wasn’t a priority of the 3. I’m positive he would’ve been offered the best contract of the 3.
Clearly Gardner feels Watson has dragged this out. As a result he or the club expressing their right to pursue other players if they choose, and if they feel they are more to their liking, then Watson will potentially make way. None of this has come from O’Brien from current indicators, and that is the part where problems may arise in future. Have the results led to AOB losing his leverage? Who knows.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Watson only has himself to blame. If he had a manager, they would have been working in the background since November 1st last year testing his value. As it is, it sounds like Watson waited for an offer, and only then thought he’d test the market.

Mann signed earlier not because he’s a priority, but because his manager already knows what interest there is from other clubs and his player’s value on the open market. Once the offer from the knights came, it would have been a pretty quick decision to make.