What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
A very good point was raised on JA about Hook tenure: credit to saintly1996
"So if Hooks manager came to the club and asked for a contract extension, what would you say to him, given his contract runs out at the end of next year and 1 November is approaching and players become available for 2023."

I will take it a little further:
What do you say to a player we are wanting to sign for 2023, about who will be our coach from 2023 onwards? eg; you approach Brandon Smith, he asks who the coach is, what do you say to him? like 'not sure', 'don't know', 'we're working on it' etc. What do you think Smith would say?
I would re-sign him for another year. He’s building something and making some tough decisions. We will reap the benefits of what he’s doing now in 3-4 years, getting more competitive by the year. Nothing or no one on earth is making us a top 4 side this year or next.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
This thread needs to get a grip! I have even seen a comment describing Hook as "a lemon". A recent study (May) had him rated as the 5th most successful current coach, behind the usual suspects; Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett and Hasler. He hasn't forgotten how to coach in 2 months. Sure, the results may not be what we all want, but to sack Hook means you can get someone better. Who? A bit of patience and tolerance please.

the dud Norman
Not real sure why the hate for this bloke and almost hero worship for Hunt. Unlike him Norman has some creativity tho I certainly dont call him a top shelf footballer. The three kids are as green as can be but have promise.. but from the little I have seen none are natural creators. This club more that anything needs one if not two creative halves to get my Red V going forward instead of backwards. Hook you like QLDers then make a play for Tannah Boyd. I also agree over Griffin's poor recruitment while allowing McInness to leave was a major faux pas. Also get JDB back in his home.. at lock and starting. He has never been a bench warmer. Jack is one of the most creative forwards and kilo for kilo there is no better defender in the game.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Not real sure why the hate for this bloke and almost hero worship for Hunt. Unlike him Norman has some creativity tho I certainly dont call him a top shelf footballer. The three kids are as green as can be but have promise.. but from the little I have seen none are natural creators. This club more that anything needs one if not two creative halves to get my Red V going forward instead of backwards. Hook you like QLDers then make a play for Tannah Boyd. I also agree over Griffin's poor recruitment while allowing McInness to leave was a major faux pas. Also get JDB back in his home.. lock and starting. He has never been a bench warmer.
Norman has some creativity. f**king LOL. That will do me. It’s crystal clear that you a) don’t rate Hunt and b) clearly have an agenda against him. If Norman had 50% of Hunts drive, desire, heart and playing ability then we would be well entrenched in the 8 and Norman would have been either a) re signed for another 2 years or b) have been picked up by another nrl club.
Norman couldn’t create a mess in his own pants let alone win us football games

be55

Juniors
Not real sure why the hate for this bloke and almost hero worship for Hunt. Unlike him Norman has some creativity tho I certainly dont call him a top shelf footballer. The three kids are as green as can be but have promise.. but from the little I have seen none are natural creators. This club more that anything needs one if not two creative halves to get my Red V going forward instead of backwards. Hook you like QLDers then make a play for Tannah Boyd. I also agree over Griffin's poor recruitment while allowing McInness to leave was a major faux pas. Also get JDB back in his home.. at lock and starting. He has never been a bench warmer. Jack is one of the most creative forwards and kilo for kilo there is no better defender in the game.

"Unlike him Norman has some creativity"

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

What a pity Craig Bellamy's dont grow on trees. What a pity the Dragons dont have a coach of his calibre with the inate ability to get the best from the not so naturally talented and turn the promising into superstars.. Griffin has a decent coaching record but is he going to take this famous club.. presently in the doldrums, up to another level. I see no sign from his time with us, that will be the case.

don’t rate Hunt and b) clearly have an agenda against him
Look before you jump down my throat I dont rate either of them. Hunt may have drive, desire and heart, Norman doesnt? But what Hunt lacks is the most important asset for a half.. creativity. What playing ability? Cant defend his only asset is a decent short kicking game and when he decides to run inside the opposition 25.

redv13

Bench
What a pity Craig Bellamy's dont grow on trees. What a pity the Dragons dont have a coach of his calibre with the inate ability to get the best from the not so naturally talented and turn the promising into superstars.. Griffin has a decent coaching record but is he going to take this famous club.. presently in the doldrums, up to another level. I see no sign from his time with us, that will be the case.
I’ll judge Hook in 2022 after the deadwood is gone and the new signings come in. Now I’m going to rewatch our games to see if I can find some of that Norman creativity that you bang on about. I’ll find plenty of shit passes, shit kicks, shit defence, horrible goal kicking, shit clutch plays, lack of desire, soft running, sideways runs, smiles after errors, kicks out on the full, lack of line breaks. Show me the creativity!!!

Old Timer

Coach
FMD talk about people wanting to make silk purses out of a sow's ears.

He walked into a complete basket case which was heading further south due to a very poor roster, overpaid non performers, an even worse cap, absolutely no culture and nepotism galore.

People need to take a reality pill or two the place was a complete clusterf**k and nobody was going to turn that around in 5 minutes but as per usual some in here expect miracles.

People asking why Beale, why Burns bla bla FMD wake up and think what self respecting rep quality player was ever going to walk into our dressing shed after our last few years in the paddock.

Hook has brought a couple of fillers whilst he sorts out the wheat from the chaff and at the same time is grading the apples in the barrel and discarding the rotten one's.

And lots in here also saying Hook was going to extend this one and that one including Norman and sign this one and that one including Milford and all that turned out to be wild assumptions.

There are a couple of decent signings on their way, a couple that might work out ok and we haven't paid overs like we did for Hunt & Norman.

So to think that Hook should be sacked IMO is saying you don't understand the harsh reality of how big the mess was he inherited.

Re Flanagan well he had a chance whilst here and did nothing and he was the peptide premiership winner so f**k him.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

He walked into a complete basket case which was heading further south due to a very poor roster, overpaid non performers, an even worse cap, absolutely no culture and nepotism galore.

People need to take a reality pill or two the place was a complete clusterf**k and nobody was going to turn that around in 5 minutes but as per usual some in here expect miracles.

People asking why Beale, why Burns bla bla FMD wake up and think what self respecting rep quality player was ever going to walk into our dressing shed after our last few years in the paddock.

Hook has brought a couple of fillers whilst he sorts out the wheat from the chaff and at the same time is grading the apples in the barrel and discarding the rotten one's.

And lots in here also saying Hook was going to extend this one and that one including Norman and sign this one and that one including Milford and all that turned out to be wild assumptions.

There are a couple of decent signings on their way, a couple that might work out ok and we haven't paid overs like we did for Hunt & Norman.

So to think that Hook should be sacked IMO is saying you don't understand the harsh reality of how big the mess was he inherited.

Re Flanagan well he had a chance whilst here and did nothing and he was the peptide premiership winner so f**k him.
Well said OT

RedVDave

First Grade

1627890689722.png

lack of desire, soft running, sideways runs, smiles after errors, kicks out on the full, lack of line breaks.
Up to there describes Hunt perfectly. Are you honestly telling me that Hunt is in the mould of past Dragons halves as Smith, Morris, Strudwick, Haddock, Linnane..and there are others. All these blokes had pace, could defend and had some creativity.

The moment he signed a 31 year old Hooker with knees like my nan, for 3 years… when we still had Mcinnes… and some backups in that spot… I was very concerned…

Nothing has improved this year from last IMO. Probably a bit worse…

Injuries? We are actually have suffered far less than most clubs in the comp..

Suspensions? Apart from Rav, we should have challenged more. Only Rav has truly been hard done by.

Inherited McGregors roster?

Yep. But apart from everyone’s favourite whipping boy Norey Corman, who is else a true dud?

For mine Vaughan n Dufty … Dufty was meant to be Griffins “project”. Vaughan was just a shadow of his former self. Both gone now. Good riddance.

As for Norman, Griffin had persisted with him for the most part. Hopefully Sullivan / Clune of someone else grabs hold of it now..

Club culture?

BBQ…. Says it all for mine. Who’s to blame for that? Everyone at the club now in my opinion… the players there, inc their leaders. Not predessors.

Covid?

All other teams have been affected, some more than others, eg Warriors, Storm, Raiders with travel complications…

Anything else that is a potential reason (aka excuse..)?

I don’t want Griffin sacked. First year in, wouldn’t be fair or a wise financial decision. We’ve missed the likes of Fitzgibbon or other decent options anyway - unless you could drag Bennett back I see no logical reason to bin him now.

But if this level of performance continues into next year…. It’s all on him.

There’s no excuses for our club this year, and I’m sure Griffin doesn’t make any either.

6 rounds into 2022 will be the true indication if we are (finally) going places or need to reach for a big patch of hessian to start sewing that sack together.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Up to there describes Hunt perfectly. Are you honestly telling me that Hunt is in the mould of past Dragons halves as Smith, Morris, Strudwick, Haddock, Linnane..and there are others. All these blokes had pace, could defend and had some creativity.
Smith aside; imo way more to his game than the last 3 you mention.

Yeah, right. Just signed a 5 year extension with the Storm, reported at a million a season. I'm sure he would jump at the chance to break his deal with the Storm and rush to take up a chance to move to the Dragons. Please, sensible suggestions only. Or maybe give Hook some more time sort the issues out (and hope he can!)
Trent Robinson.

redv13

Bench
Hunt is no slug and defensively pretty strong 1 on 1. Last time I checked he had represented his state and country. Carry on mate, just find something or someone else to criticise over the next month

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors

THIS x 3

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Baggy, one of the things I dislike about this forum is that it descends into personal attacks (at times) when some people disagree with others. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and should be respected as such. I very respectfully disagree with you about Norman. I think he has been an over-paid, gutless turd. Imagine paying $800K PA for COREY NORMAN. It makes me feel physically ill even thinking about it. For mine, Normans signing and his subsequent delinquent 3 years here shows the depths we have dropped too.

As an aside I am somewhat ambivalent about Hunt. Do I think we have got good value from him? Not really.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Trent Robinson.
Might be good. Contracted with Roosters till the end of next season. Reports his French wife wants to move back to France then. Salary reported at around $900,000. I think Uncle Nick would ensure they keep him if he decides to stay in Oz. Again, our problem is why would a successful coach want to move from a successful club to the Dragons, except for massive overs? Next?

Latest posts