What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 116 51.6%

• Total voters

lucablight

First Grade
So
Sure, but I also know even the experts can disagree on this sort of thing. They can't both be right. Ultimately it's just an opinion, subject to human irrationality. I've seen people decide competence based on nothing more than popularity ffs. In a lot of jobs it's very hard to prove causality and therefore competence, however it's also true in many jobs (including coaching) where popularity is a part of what makes someone competent.
If it’s a matter of opinion then you should be able to form your own opinion based on what you see instead of just blindly placing faith in people who might not be competent at their jobs right?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cant agree Poo. The Storm dont lose games of such significance. We rattled them for sure and certain. Watching the D line move up relentlessly in an umbrella shape with precision was very un Parra. Loved it. Can we do it again? F'n hope so.
My advice is to not put too much importance in one game and ignore all the others. I mean, from an entertainment perspective this is normal, but if you're then going to put on your analytical hat you need to look at things differently. As someone who desperately wants them to win the comp (like I do), it's understandable to look at last night's game as the expected standard: "That's our team and anything less is a massive failure and some merkin needs to be sacked!" But in reality every performance is part of a range of expected performances and last night's was at the extreme upper level of the range. You could say the stars aligned, and we should expect it rarely. At the bottom end we have games like conceding fifty to Manly, which we also should expect rarely. One problem for all of us is that this range is so great (greater than for everyone in the comp this year including Souths), and particularly within a fortnight of each other. This is a definite problem with a definite cause and probably a number of solutions somewhere. But for us fans, we don't have enough information to point the finger. But I guess it's fun and cathartic to do so.

lucablight

First Grade
Is it reasonable to suggest that the more you experience that pressure the better you get at coping with it?
Not necessarily. I’m sure it helps but there are other factors as well. I think how you prepare for the game plays a huge part as well as the inherent qualities of your personnel.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is where you show your lack of understanding. Our attack looked good because we fatigued Melbourne's defence, and we did that by controlling the ball and smashing them up the middle. The reason the decoys suddenly looked effective is because the defence was on the back foot.
And we have made a couple of small adjustments to our attack …….

halves linking more, halves switched sides, spreading it a bit more in our half….

but but but BA doesn’t make changes……

IFR33K

Coach

halves linking more, halves switched sides, spreading it a bit more in our half….

Fans have been calling for changes since last season. It was obvious back then that BA ball wasn’t a good enough tactic. Maybe the bald merkin did learn something here. It’s only taken him till seasons end in 2021 to play a brand of footy that may yield results against the top teams. Fingers crossed last night wasn’t a one off, and we can replicate that performance.

hindy111

Post Whore
All good. I know you aren’t having a go.

You say we can play better. I’m just wondering what that’s based on if it isn’t based on past performances.

You can show me 11 examples of where someone could have done something better. I reckon you could do that with most teams in most games.

Right now, last night is probably as good as we have done all year. Maybe we’ll improve again in the coming weeks. If do that will be awesome.

No. Out 11 examples are fixable. Some where worth risk and unlucky. But most poorly executed. If the tactics is bashing ball back you need to make sure guys are ready to defend cause it's a 50/50 who retrieves ball.

It's also uncommon for a guy to just like Blake did over the sideline. It happens but usually in try scoring situations and not on halfway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can the spine do anything if their forwards are getting beaten?
I'd say in most games it's pretty close to parity between the packs. And don't forget the difference between kicking games can benefit one pack significantly at the expense of the other. But the main difference between packs (and especially ours vs opponents) is in how many times they carry the ball. While every pack does about the same amount of tackling over 80 minutes, some are responsible for a much greater load of the attack, which adds to their fatigue. This is of course assuming an even share of possession, which is why controlling the ball is a key part of our game plan. With an even share of possession we will fatigue more quickly than a pack that makes fewer carries, which is most of them. Probably only Souths requires less go forward from their backs than we do.
I’d say the Roosters at full strength have a comparable pack to ours but we should be steamrolling Souths and Manly not getting steamrolled by them.
I think you're missing a key way the middle defence can be exploited. Our pack is never overpowered, except under extreme fatigue, but it is susceptible to a mismatch. Like anywhere on the field, a mismatch favours the attacker, and the way to beat our pack is with speed and footwork. This is why Souths always trouble us. It's not Burgess and Tatola who trouble us, but Murray and Cook. They always have a field day against our middle. This causes the defence to compress and then our edges magically open up and deadshits wonder why we are outnumbered out wide.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I was more impressed with our adjustment in attitude, commitment and execution. Its what gave us space in attack and the ability to be more creative.

lucablight

First Grade
Plenty of rookie coaches have won competitions. Stuart, Hagan, Robinson. There are a lot of long term coaches who haven’t either or had less success with more experience eg Brown, Macguire, Griffin. I’d say how a coach prepares a side is more of an inherent quality.

emjaycee

Coach
I think coaches also learn how to build into the end of season games.
When to rest certain players, when to reduce training efforts, etc.
Bennett called Bea on it last year as he noticed something BA hadn't recognised. Bellyache has stated that he has a plan and is keeping his eyes on week 1 of the finals now. I wonder if he knew to do that in his first few finals appearances.

lucablight

First Grade
I think coaches also learn how to build into the end of season games.
When to rest certain players, when to reduce training efforts, etc.
Bennett called Bea on it last year as he noticed something BA hadn't recognised. Bellyache has stated that he has a plan and is keeping his eyes on week 1 of the finals now. I wonder if he knew to do that in his first few finals appearances.
Has Brad Arthur been coaching in the NRL for 7 seasons but lacked the experience to know when to rest players and how to pace training efforts?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Plenty of rookie coaches have won competitions. Stuart, Hagan, Robinson. There are a lot of long term coaches who haven’t either or had less success with more experience eg Brown, Macguire, Griffin. I’d say how a coach prepares a side is more of an inherent quality.
Its actually pretty rare that a rookie coach wins a comp. You also have to look at the respective squads that each rookie nrl coach had. Blokes like Joey Johns, Brad Fittler and Sonny Bill Williams help. I bet Brian Smith would have killed to coach one of those guys.

I can't for the life of me understand how coaches or players wouldn't benefit from experiencing pressure, learning lessons etc. I'm not saying its the ONLY factor, but its definitely A factor and a pretty important one imo.

Take Stuart and Robbo for instance. Do you think either of them would say that they haven't improved as a coach since their first year?