What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

Pippen94

First Grade
Including all of Morton Bay, let alone all of North Brisbane, in the Dolphin's area is disingenuous.

Frankly it's more disingenuous than including all of the inner south to the cost under the Firehawks, and the Firehawks have more potential to grow than the Dolphins ever would, which is shown by almost nobody batting an eyelid when it's suggested that they merge with Ipswich FFS.

And so what if Morton Bay's population is larger than Canberra! So is the Inner South of Brisbane's, and we shouldn't be measuring the potential of a club in Brisbane against Canberra at all, but against what has the largest potential within Brisbane it's self.

Outdated thinking. Team targeting all of Brisbane is trying to baffle brain with bullshit. NRL wise to this & demanding team in Ipswich it seems. At least we won't have hear name firehawks ever again

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's all unraveling for you. Tigers don't need to merge huh?! Then why are they?! Growth corridors to north & south are factor I've said all along
For all we know they might not be.

Just because they're talking doesn't mean that they will, and depending on the deal on offer it might not be a bad thing anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Outdated thinking. Team targeting all of Brisbane is trying to baffle brain with bullshit. NRL wise to this & demanding team in Ipswich it seems. At least we won't have hear name firehawks ever again
Mate you've lost when all you are doing is making shit up.
Don't make me search your old posts..
Search away.

You'll find posts where I give them a fair hearing , even praise some of their ideas and the people involved with them, but you won't find one where I endorse them.

Pippen94

First Grade
Mate you've lost when all you are doing is making shit up.

Search away.

You'll find posts where I give them a fair hearing , even praise some of their ideas and the people involved with them, but you won't find one where I endorse them.

You said they would be top bid sans the name. That's when you had brain spark of The Smiths?!

It's all in ur post history. Maybe slipping faster than first thought.

Future of league is team in Singapore & another in Brisbane with nickname which sounds like racist prison gang

flippikat

Bench
Two areas of concern for NRL in Brisbane; south/west & north. Dolphins considered strong bid on its own. Inner city Tigers needs to move west to Ipswich & possibly encourage government funding for infrastructure.

Looking increasingly 18th team may need to be Brisbane also.
I'm starting to get that feeling too.

A merged Firehawks/Jets bid makes it a "slam dunk" for a conservative NRL administration to add both them and the Dolphins (maybe staggered over a few years), get an extra game per weekend, and not have to deal with border complications that NZ2 or Perth would involve.

Pippen94

First Grade

A merged Firehawks/Jets bid makes it a "slam dunk" for a conservative NRL administration to add both them and the Dolphins (maybe staggered over a few years), get an extra game per weekend, and not have to deal with border complications that NZ2 or Perth would involve.

Problem are Broncos & titans (& dolphins too). They'll fight it particularly the first two who sandwich Logan & ipswich.
Perth is overdue & will get 18th spot but Peter V playing hard to get

Perth Red

Post Whore

it would be the dumb myopic sort of thing that rugby league would do! Leave a city of 2.1 million and one of 1.3 million with no exposure to the game whilst oversaturating the heartlands. So very rugby league!

Brisbane covering the North, Firehawks covering the south. Two massive clubs driving the standards for the NRL. That's what we need.
Dolphins can keep building ready for teams 19 & 20 in a decade or twos time when their region has closer to 1 million people and they can play out of redcliffe stadium and still draw a crowd.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You said they would be top bid sans the name. That's when you had brain spark of The Smiths?!

It's all in ur post history. Maybe slipping faster than first thought.

Future of league is team in Singapore & another in Brisbane with nickname which sounds like racist prison gang
I take it that you couldn't find my endorsement of the Bombers...

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

I still can't see it happening.

It'd be the most myopic decision in Australian RL history, an unforgiveable abdication of the responsibility that the ARLC and NRL have to the sport.

The clubs would fight hard against two new clubs being introduced into SEQ in quick succession as well. So much new competition in one of their key markets would hurt a lot of them badly, and risk oversaturating the market.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I agree that it would be an absolutely RL thing to do to go ahhh f#@k it, let's take them both but I find it hard to believe we are having a discussion about having to put two more RL teams in a RL city to stop the AFL from achieving something they are achieving with their one team.

We are doing something very, very wrong because the same issue applies in Sydney where we are 9 v 2. Part of it is AFL spin, part of it is lacklustre admin and part of it is lacklustre Government lobbying... all of which we need to get much better at.

mongoose

Coach
There is no chance of 2 new teams in Brisbane coming into the comp. The Broncos would start Super League 2.... with the Titans and Storm.

There is no chance of 2 new teams in Brisbane coming into the comp. The Broncos would start Super League 2.... with the Titans and Storm.
I'm not sure if the Broncos and their News Ltd owners are in a position to start Super League 2. News Ltd already has the broadcast rights for the NRL until 2027. If they were to create a separate competition, then the ARLC could take legal action against them for voiding their contract and it would open the door for STAN Sport to acquire the NRL, Queensland Cup and NSW Cup, which would make it the home of Australian RL/RU. I think the Broncos and News Ltd will have little say over the 17th and 18th licences.

A proactive administration would look at relocating the Bulldogs to Christchurch so we'll have NZ 2 as an active team in 2022. Even if the team is stuck in Queensland due to COVID-19, it'll be no different to what's happening this year.

That leaves the 18th licence for the Pirates and the ability to introduce Bris 3 and NZ 3 in 2028.

I won't complain if they go Bris 2 and 3 as it serves my interests, but it would be better for the game to bring in Perth and NZ 2 before adding Bris 3. After that it would be smart to relocate Sharks to Adelaide so Dragons can become a juggernaut again.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A proactive administration would look at relocating the Bulldogs to Christchurch so we'll have NZ 2 as an active team in 2022. Even if the team is stuck in Queensland due to COVID-19, it'll be no different to what's happening this year.

That leaves the 18th licence for the Pirates and the ability to introduce Bris 3 and NZ 3 in 2028.

I won't complain if they go Bris 2 and 3 as it serves my interests, but it would be better for the game to bring in Perth and NZ 2 before adding Bris 3. After that it would be smart to relocate Sharks to Adelaide so Dragons can become a juggernaut again.
I don't know mate... I know they are a rabble at the moment but the Bulldogs are one of the few Sydney clubs with a very large supporter base. They and the eels in particular could and should be both averaging 20-25k crowds given a decent stadium for the dogs. If Liverpool comes through and is truly a Bankwest clone then we will have two very strong Western Sydney teams.

I'm not in favour of relocating any team but it seems the Tigers are the odd one out and it is all of their own doing by being nomadic for so long. West Coast Tigers anyone?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like the merger idea is on the rocks! Firehawks must be pretty confident they can still win on their own.

The suggested multi-million dollar expansion bid between a merged Firehawks and Jets entity has reportedly stalled.

In an exclusive Tuesday morning report, Peter Badel of The Courier Mail stated that the combined bid between the previously opposed parties was "on the brink of collapse".

The joint effort to obtain the NRL's 17th license was reported to be worth in the vicinity of $35 million, however, the disintegration of any deal now sees a bid by the Dolphins as the clear clubhouse leader, according to Badel.
The noted journalist claimed that talks reached an impasse when the Jets reportedly refused to agree to a merger with the Firehawks so as the pair could enter the competition as one in 2024.

Although the agreement that was struck last week is not entirely dead, Badel did claim that it appeared unlikely to be repaired.

Former Rabbitohs CEO and current chief of the Firehawks' bid Shane Richardson confirmed the impasse to Badel.
“Talks have stalled,” he said.

“The bottom line at this stage is we have stalled, we haven’t been able to go forward.

“The Jets will say it’s all over red rover — but negotiations are never over.”
With the Firehawks reported to be unwilling to cede their nickname should any merged entity prove successful, tempers were said to have flared.

These flames were then stoked when it was also announced that the East Tigers backed Firehawks would seek to hold a 100 per-cent ownership status over the shared bid's license.

Although Badel suggested the Jets were said to be favouring a "50-50 investment arrangement", Richardson explained that this would never prove to be an option, as his team held the whip hand in financial negotiations.

“The reality is we won’t be doing a 50-50 split because we have the money,” he said.

“At the end of the day, we are putting all the money is.

“This is for the betterment of rugby league. We are the ones who will put the money into academies in the Ipswich region, we have tried to offer the Jets some genuine opportunities as part of a merged bid.

“We would be putting money into the Ipswich region to promote the game in the region and we will offer Ipswich one seat on our board.

“It would be a stronger bid if we came together, but there has to be a balance and that balance isn’t there at this stage.”

Richardson's counterpart - the Ipswich backed, Nick Livermore - stated that a takeover of this sort would never receive his approval.

“The Jets received a call from the Firehawks last Wednesday surrounding a potential partnership,” Livermore told Badel.

“We’ve explored that and proposed a 50-50 investment and ownership model to ensure the growth and financial sustainability of a new team focusing on the western corridor.

“We’ve left that with the Firehawks and are open to discussions, but at this stage, the response has not been for what we see as the strategic direction of the best interests of the game.”

Badel also revealed that the NRL and ARLC are set to make a decision on which of the three-bids will be granted the coveted license to enter the competition within the next fortnight.

I don't know mate... I know they are a rabble at the moment but the Bulldogs are one of the few Sydney clubs with a very large supporter base. They and the eels in particular could and should be both averaging 20-25k crowds given a decent stadium for the dogs. If Liverpool comes through and is truly a Bankwest clone then we will have two very strong Western Sydney teams.

I'm not in favour of relocating any team but it seems the Tigers are the odd one out and it is all of their own doing by being nomadic for so long. West Coast Tigers anyone?
West Coast Tigers would be a good fit.

I'm convinced the NRL will struggle to grow in Southern Sydney and Western Sydney with four clubs cannibalising one another. The game is more reliant on investors than ever and is under attack like never before. Four teams competing with one another for sponsors, FTA time slots and market share will make them all susceptible to falling over, whereas as having one in Southern Sydney and another in Western Sydney will create strong clubs that can get more FTA exposure, market share and sponsors that help them compete against other codes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast Tigers would be a good fit.

I'm convinced the NRL will struggle to grow in Southern Sydney and Western Sydney with four clubs cannibalising one another. The game is more reliant on investors than ever and is under attack like never before. Four teams competing with one another for sponsors, FTA time slots and market share will make them all susceptible to falling over, whereas as having one in Southern Sydney and another in Western Sydney will create strong clubs that can get more FTA exposure, market share and sponsors that help them compete against other codes.
Firehawks thread, not a lets relocate Sydney thread!

Looks like the merger idea is on the rocks! Firehawks must be pretty confident they can still win on their own.

The suggested multi-million dollar expansion bid between a merged Firehawks and Jets entity has reportedly stalled.

In an exclusive Tuesday morning report, Peter Badel of The Courier Mail stated that the combined bid between the previously opposed parties was "on the brink of collapse".

The joint effort to obtain the NRL's 17th license was reported to be worth in the vicinity of $35 million, however, the disintegration of any deal now sees a bid by the Dolphins as the clear clubhouse leader, according to Badel.
The noted journalist claimed that talks reached an impasse when the Jets reportedly refused to agree to a merger with the Firehawks so as the pair could enter the competition as one in 2024.

Although the agreement that was struck last week is not entirely dead, Badel did claim that it appeared unlikely to be repaired.

Former Rabbitohs CEO and current chief of the Firehawks' bid Shane Richardson confirmed the impasse to Badel.
“Talks have stalled,” he said.

“The bottom line at this stage is we have stalled, we haven’t been able to go forward.

“The Jets will say it’s all over red rover — but negotiations are never over.”
With the Firehawks reported to be unwilling to cede their nickname should any merged entity prove successful, tempers were said to have flared.

These flames were then stoked when it was also announced that the East Tigers backed Firehawks would seek to hold a 100 per-cent ownership status over the shared bid's license.

Although Badel suggested the Jets were said to be favouring a "50-50 investment arrangement", Richardson explained that this would never prove to be an option, as his team held the whip hand in financial negotiations.

“The reality is we won’t be doing a 50-50 split because we have the money,” he said.

“At the end of the day, we are putting all the money is.

“This is for the betterment of rugby league. We are the ones who will put the money into academies in the Ipswich region, we have tried to offer the Jets some genuine opportunities as part of a merged bid.

“We would be putting money into the Ipswich region to promote the game in the region and we will offer Ipswich one seat on our board.

“It would be a stronger bid if we came together, but there has to be a balance and that balance isn’t there at this stage.”

Richardson's counterpart - the Ipswich backed, Nick Livermore - stated that a takeover of this sort would never receive his approval.

“The Jets received a call from the Firehawks last Wednesday surrounding a potential partnership,” Livermore told Badel.

“We’ve explored that and proposed a 50-50 investment and ownership model to ensure the growth and financial sustainability of a new team focusing on the western corridor.

“We’ve left that with the Firehawks and are open to discussions, but at this stage, the response has not been for what we see as the strategic direction of the best interests of the game.”

Badel also revealed that the NRL and ARLC are set to make a decision on which of the three-bids will be granted the coveted license to enter the competition within the next fortnight.

Ipswich is a waste of time. The city has too much history with the Broncos to ever change allegiance. Firehawks should focus on developing the game in Logan and Redlands.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ipswich is a waste of time. The city has too much history with the Broncos to ever change allegiance. Firehawks should focus on developing the game in Logan and Redlands.
I think the carrot for them was some extra cash on the table (allegedly $10mill) connections to corporate $'s through the Bombers group of businessmen and giving Vlandys the warm and fuzzies that including Ipswich would somehow take the fight to the AFL. The fact Jets wanted 50-50 ownership isn't surprising, nor is the response of the Firehawks to laugh in their faces! Lets just hope their bid is better than Dolphins if they are going it alone.

Latest posts