What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

Kilkenny

Coach
I know it is not good for the team at all, but part of me is kind of happy that I have a Panthers game to watch this weekend.
I get what your saying. In some respects too, perhaps better losing to the Storm in the PF rather than another GF loss.

First things first I guess. We are no good things this week. It is a toss of the coin for me, we are going to have to rediscover something near our best to win against the Eels.

Fangs

Coach
Sorensen and Leota would be big ins after our pack got dominated last week. Edwards as well obviously.

Parramatta's pack were much better last week, and now they have Matterson on the bench. RCG would love to end our season and will try to do what Jai Arrow did to our big names. We should respond in kind and mob him.

TheRiff

Juniors
Sorensen and Leota would be big ins after our pack got dominated last week. Edwards as well obviously.

Parramatta's pack were much better last week, and now they have Matterson on the bench. RCG would love to end our season and will try to do what Jai Arrow did to our big names. We should respond in kind and mob him.

RCG is softer then Eisenhuth, So I hope he brings it

Blade23

Juniors
Sorensen was likely next week. Now is the time to roll the dice.
Also if we go all the way I will be surprised if Edwards has 3 games in him.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

That injury he's carrying looks pretty chronic. Poor bloke. Walking and running something you don't think about until chronic injury strikes (sadly know from experience)

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I think the Dylan Edwards foot injury is the on going issues around his plantar fascia tear from earlier in the season. I assume it requires surgery at the end of the season to repair and they simply have been managing it as best they can to keep him available as much as possible.

It was suggested initially the best case scenario with the Scott Sorensen dislocated wrist (non surgery) was 3-6 weeks so he is definitely returning early based on the initial prognosis. Again I assume it may be an injury where they will operate post season to properly repair.

Neither can be 100% fully fit given the nature of the injuries, but I guess there is little to lose now given it is sudden death from here on in.
Regarding Edwards plantar fascia problem. Surgery is not used very often and is usually done only when all other treatments have failed. Injections of steroids into the affected area is the most common treatment. Not sure how this works for professional athletes thou.

Kilkenny

Coach
From what I have read about his injury, you have to wonder whether it is worth the risk. It is a very painful injury by all accounts, the fact he gotten this far is pretty amazing.

I am a Dylan fan, I think the balance of our back three is better with him in the side but I can’t help feeling maybe Ivan should have just gone with the same back three for this week. Charlie obviously let himself down with the miss on Gagai and a few other mistakes but I don’t blame him for the dropped ball from Crichton. It was an awful pass after Crichton had done well to get on the outside of his man. He hits Charlie on the chest who knows what happens from there but it was another opportunity lost.

Kilkenny

Coach
Regarding Edwards plantar fascia problem. Surgery is not used very often and is usually done only when all other treatments have failed. Injections of steroids into the affected area is the most common treatment. Not sure how this works for professional athletes thou.
From what I have read the only long term solution is surgery. The rehab staff have obviously tried to manage it given surgery would have ruled him out for the season. By all accounts it is very painful and debilitating. I’m sure the rehab team know better than me and I’m sure needled up he will get thru Saturday night whether it is enough only time will tell.

Kilkenny

Coach
In respect of Charlie Staines I don’t understand Ivan’s thinking or selections. He brings him back against the bunnies in front of Naden, rightly or wrongly, and he is no where to be seen in the squad named this week. Common sense would normally suggest Charlie should have been in the squad for this week in front of Naden. Neither is going to play anyway but it just doesn’t make sense.

If it were me as coach, I would have stuck with Naden from his form of some weeks back when Charlie was originally dropped. But Ivan brought Momo back, Naden out, Charlie back, Charlie out again, Crichton to the wing then fullback with Edwards out. All very confusing.

I know many will not agree but I can’t help think, once Ivan dropped Staines, our best combination for the back five was Edwards, Naden, Crichton, Burton and To’o. Injuries somewhat ruined such an option but I just think this is our strongest centre 3/4 lineup with Charlie not an option in Ivan’s thinking. Momo has done a fine job, admirable job I just think Naden on the wing, Crichton at centre is a more potent lineup Even allowing for Brents defensive issues at times.

WestyLife

First Grade
In respect of Charlie Staines I don’t understand Ivan’s thinking or selections. He brings him back against the bunnies in front of Naden, rightly or wrongly, and he is no where to be seen in the squad named this week. Common sense would normally suggest Charlie should have been in the squad for this week in front of Naden. Neither is going to play anyway but it just doesn’t make sense.

If it were me as coach, I would have stuck with Naden from his form of some weeks back when Charlie was originally dropped. But Ivan brought Momo back, Naden out, Charlie back, Charlie out again, Crichton to the wing then fullback with Edwards out. All very confusing.

I know many will not agree but I can’t help think, once Ivan dropped Staines, our best combination for the back five was Edwards, Naden, Crichton, Burton and To’o. Injuries somewhat ruined such an option but I just think this is our strongest centre 3/4 lineup with Charlie not an option in Ivan’s thinking. Momo has done a fine job, admirable job I just think Naden on the wing, Crichton at centre is a more potent lineup Even allowing for Brents defensive issues at times.

Pretty spot on. Can't get a read on Ivan. Unless he's just easing Staines through for development purposes.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve got no idea about Saturday night.

I thought we would have been good enough to get the job done against the Bunnies and go to week three and the PF.

Different ball game now. Our opponents are on a high and we have to do it the hard way.

It will be a true test of character to bounce back.

Girds89

Bench
Going to be a tough game.

I think theres plenty of positives to take out of last week. Main one being we were nowhere near our best and still only just lost.

Edwards back even at 80% is huge, because if hes been playing injured and still been able tonplay like he has which is remarkable, ill take that.

Leota is big. Now is the time for moses to lead. He has it in him. We need him at his best.

Fish too needs a big game.

I think if luai can find something early, a good run or nice set restart or a try assist it will really set the tone. When hes confident the whole team seems to feed of him.

I hope critta knows whats expected of him now. Especially if edwards is one foot. He needs to compete with brian for most meters and runs.

We can do it. I have faith in the boys.

Last edited:
I can’t believe anyone is having the slightest concern that you won’t nail these pretending f**kers into next season.

They only just scraped home against the dogs breakfast that are the knights.

You really need to chill.

They jag a few games against the cheating purple merkins and people are hiding under their beds.

ffs show some courage.

Smug by plenty (13 plus at least).

soc123_au

Staff member
I can’t believe anyone is having the slightest concern that you won’t nail these pretending f**kers into next season.

They jag a few games against the cheating purple merkins and people are hiding under their beds.

ffs show some courage.

I'd say most of us are a bit gun shy given the lacklustre performances in the last 4 finals games. If we play to potential we will get it done.

I'd say most of us are a bit gun shy given the lacklustre performances in the last 4 finals games. If we play to potential we will get it done.
That last 15 minutes of d against the bunnies the game before last was as good d as it gets.

It was more Melbourne than Melbourne.

It was the end of a hard game and everyone was bouncing around like they’d just gotten up.

We are making a play for cc to join us for a reason. Pascoe knows him pretty well I’d say.
Hopefully he follows the money.

hindy111

Post Whore

I'll be honest. Spencer has trained hard all season, gone into a bubble and moved to QLD. He was one of your best last week.
Would I be pissed if I was him when they bringing TPJ late in the season and he gets the nod in a do or die finals over you? Yes I would. Embarrasing if ask me. He is not part of your future and finals experience would be so valuable for Spencer. It's very debateable who is even the better player.

hindy111

Post Whore

Best thing to happen to Eels was Opacic getting injured. Penisini got a shot. BA knew next season he would be our centre but seeing how he went he knew he was already better.

From what I have seen of Tago he had to stay in your 17. He just is better player then Momorski and Staines. And had he kept playing him he would of chalked up 7 or 8 games by now. Even young May is better then Staines. To beat the Storm you'll need every advantage you can.

I also wasn't dissapointed Sivo was out. Lazy player.
We will miss Mahoney and our back up Lussicks out so no real hooker. I can't see Eels winning unless we scored the first try and kept the game very low scoring at halftime. At this point our forwards may fire up and give your guys a real bashing.
Suprised Jnr and Marata let off.Your pack is faster and fitter. It suits the fast plays. Turn this into a slow grind and our guys are far more physical. Jnr,Brown,Rcg,Marata,Papali hit hard. Even if they lost they will damage your guys.

I'd rather an Eels win or Penrith to run away with it and stay fresh for next week. Last thing either side needs is 80 mins of forwards bashing each other with no juice left for next week. Atleast Eels rested guys so they are fresh. A tough game for you and maybe easy picking for Storm

Nealo 12

Bench

ffs show some courage.

So you bag us off everywhere else on the forum and now come in here and try to pump up our tyres , ha ha you can fool some of the people….

mxlegend99

Referee
If Edwards is unlikely to play all 3 games we should just write him off for the season IMO.

Crichton has been pretty good at fullback lately. Makes no sense to pray for Edwards to survive 3 games (ideally) if he's struggling with the injury. Sounds like there's a good chance we could be having to shuffle the team around mid game.

For mine from our 21 named we throw Critter in at fullback and either have Tago at centre, Momirovski on the wing. Or just bring Naden on the wing.

Or I guess Capewell at centre with Momirovski on wing is an option too. The upside is it brings Leniu back onto the bench. But you wouldnt back him to get the job done against Storm defensively so I wouldn't be keen on that.

Tago should have gotten more opportunities through the year so we could have him as a realistic option.

Latest posts