What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

TheRiff

Juniors
No no no because he had to kick a bit more this means nothing according to the brains trust on here.

I've never seen someone dominate Origin and come back a worse player

It is a case of stats not telling the full story, When Nathan was out Luai was on the right side. In that same time had To'o out and now Ivan stupidly has benched Kikau, I'd be curious to see where the side would be if Luai stayed on the left side and Ivan brought in a new 7. I put all the issues down to coaching

3 of the 6 top tryscorers for the year is left side players.
Burton 16
To'o 14
Kikau 9

Luai 19 try Assists
Burton 12 try assists

Line breaks
Burton 24
To'o 23

Total Try involvements Cleary is top which makes sense as the 7 touches the ball most
2- Luai 34
3- Burton 30
4- To'o 19
6- Kikau on 14

That whole left side is huge, Take someone out and things don't look as good. Injury you can't help but stupid things like moving a Fit Luai sides but most importantly bench Kikau and struggle is noticeable

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
Nowhere near correct. More like 44%, and currently 47% since 1967. During Klein's career 55%.

The stat kilkenny was refering to though is correct. Pre 2020 i saw a list of Penriths win percentage with each ref in the nrl at the time.

We were at 45 to 50% for about half.

40 to 45% for the rest.

Except Klien. We were at 22% from memory with him. As i said this was pre 2020. So we no doubt would have gone up across the board.

I have tried to find it to post here but havent been able to find it.

No doubt, id prefer another ref. But at the end of the day our destiny is in our own hands.

If we are good enough we will win. Can we be good enough? Im not sure.

We have to shit down moses and gutho. They are basically their two main weapons and onky attacking threats. If we can shut them both down we go a long way to winning.

I dont care how we win. Just want to go through to next week. The boys have to leave it all out on the field on saturday.

unKwn

Juniors
I know no one liked Hook but we are no closer to the premiership with Ivan then under hook. Just have the better roster to beat up on an average comp
Nothing about this is true 🤣 Hook was a God awful coach. We never beat any top 4 teams, we were making up the numbers. Just cannon fodder for the finals where we would be eliminated week 2 for the millionth year straight. Our attack was garbage and just relied on individual brilliance. The only thing we had going for us was that we were the fittest team in the comp.

The Realist

Juniors
The stat kilkenny was refering to though is correct. Pre 2020 i saw a list of Penriths win percentage with each ref in the nrl at the time.

40 to 45% for the rest.

Except Klien. We were at 22% from memory with him. As i said this was pre 2020. So we no doubt would have gone up across the board.

All correct here. The last stat I saw of Klein pre-2020 is that our win percentage was 23% with him.

Our 2nd worse referee is Ben Cummins. Our stat differential with him is around minus 10%

mxlegend99

Referee
I can't wait to see what selection master strokes Ivan has, I know no one liked Hook but we are no closer to the premiership with Ivan then under hook. Just have the better roster to beat up on an average comp
Hook never made it past week 2 of the finals. Ivan took us to a grand final. That's considerably closer.

Hook also had a horrible win rate against top 4 sides. Which is why we couldn't make it past week 2 of the finals. We were clearly never winning a competition with him.

Our side is not spectacular now and 6 spots better than it was on paper. Ivan is an average coach but he is better than Hook. I doubt we win a competition with him either, but its a possibility now. He is better in a lot of areas than Hook. Most important one being he gets along with the players and coaching staff.

He also tends to get the best out of his spine players. Aside from Craig Bellamy I doubt any other coach could get Luke Brooks to win a Dally M halfback of the year spot. We've also seen Nathan growto becomethe best hslfback in the game. Luai one of the best 5/8ths and generally our team plays with a structure where both halves link up across the full width of the field.

TheRiff

Juniors
Nothing about this is true 🤣 Hook was a God awful coach. We never beat any top 4 teams, we were making up the numbers. Just cannon fodder for the finals where we would be eliminated week 2 for the millionth year straight. Our attack was garbage and just relied on individual brilliance. The only thing we had going for us was that we were the fittest team in the comp.

Look at our team now compared to years under hook, What team under Hook under achieved?

2016 side was stacked but had too many injuries. Whare, Hiku, Blake and RCG and a few others out for the finals

2017- The only half at the club was Cleary ( who was 2 years into his career), We went into the finals with May/Cleary halves with a rookie Edwards at fullback.

He was gone by 2018 finals.

Compare that to this years team, 7 current Origin players 3 of whom are spine players. This years team is one of the strongest that the club had?

Last edited:

TheRiff

Juniors
Hook never made it past week 2 of the finals. Ivan took us to a grand final. That's considerably closer.

Hook also had a horrible win rate against top 4 sides. Which is why we couldn't make it past week 2 of the finals. We were clearly never winning a competition with him.

Our side is not spectacular now and 6 spots better than it was on paper. Ivan is an average coach but he is better than Hook. I doubt we win a competition with him either, but its a possibility now. He is better in a lot of areas than Hook. Most important one being he gets along with the players and coaching staff.

He also tends to get the best out of his spine players. Aside from Craig Bellamy I doubt any other coach could get Luke Brooks to win a Dally M halfback of the year spot. We've also seen Nathan growto becomethe best hslfback in the game. Luai one of the best 5/8ths and generally our team plays with a structure where both halves link up across the full width of the field.

Compare the squads from Hook's time until now, If don't win a comp during Cleary's time in 7 it is a huge waste.

Ivan is sitting at 7-7 finals record, I know he has had some dog average squads. The 2007 Warriors side finished 3rd, Yet went out in straight sets. So what we are seeing now is a continuation of Ivan's career

The_Frog

First Grade

40 to 45% for the rest.

Not disputing that, I remember seeing 25% under him. It may have been even lower at some stage.

The Bulldogs have a similar discrepancy in their favour. You'd think this is exactly the sort of thing the refs bosses would be looking at when deciding who the best refs are.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade

I like this line:
Questions are likely to be asked of the premiership credentials of the losing outfit in one of the biggest battles between the two clubs in history.

This being a sudden death match I don't think there'll be any question at all. The loser has 0 premiership credentials for 2021. Next year anything can happen.

murraymob

Coach
But left field here but there is a t shirt doing the rounds that says MT DRUITt panthers and has the boys on it .Anyone seen this for sale anywhere

pantherz9103

First Grade
I'm sorry to be all negative and point this out but if we lose this game it means we'd become the first team ever to win 20+ games in a season and exit in Week 2 of the finals. Even the Dragons of 2009, while they were minor premiers and bundled out in straight sets, still only had 17 wins that year.

Parramatta are still on a 35 year premiership drought but if they lose the reaction is more like a shrug of the shoulders with all due respect. So the pressure is squarely on us to win no two ways about it. Thankfully we look to have a full strength lineup.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I've obviously stumbed into a forum where almost everyone is having a bad day.

For a while I thought it was a mixture of the Bulldogs, W/T and Broncos forums. 🤣

Many of you wouldn't have coped during the tough years ealy 2000's and Matty Elliott's era.

As I said repeatedly it will be a real tough game. A toss of the coin.

To claim that the season has been a failure tomorrow night if we lose, in my opinion is nothing short of laughable. 🤣

Yes I be dissappointed, if fact very dissappointed.

Is there a need on this forum for some anti depressive pills. 😊

TheRiff

Juniors

For a while I thought it was a mixture of the Bulldogs, W/T and Broncos forums. 🤣

Many of you wouldn't have coped during the tough years ealy 2000's and Matty Elliott's era.

To claim that the season has been a failure tomorrow night if we lose, in my opinion is nothing short of laughable. 🤣

You don't win 21 games on the back of making the GF last year, To be bundled out in week 2 of the finals

Vicpanther

Juniors

matty elliot :shudder: