What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

Smug Panther

First Grade
Your views and opinions are so disrespectful of all the players, coaching and support staff attached to our club is rather sad.

The fact is our drop off in form, was a combination of a lot of factors around the SOO period, injuries, suspensions, Covid and a host of other factors.

It has not been as a consequence of failing to perform under extreme pressure. If we choked against the Bunnies they would have put 30-40-50 on us, the fact is they didn’t. The fact is we created opportunities which could or should have been enough to win us the game, but simply we failed to execute as well as we can. Had we of chocked so to speak we would have folded under the Bunnies pressure and the shoreline would have been a blowout but instead we actually created the games best opportunities and only poor execution let us down. That is not the definition of choking, it is just the sad reality of losing.
We moved away from our game. It was a definition of a choke

Kilkenny

Coach
The entire point of the competition is to win the premiership. Without that it's pointless to even take part.
That’s so not true Westy.

There fans across the globe, who support teams who are never going to win the NRL, NFL, EPL or whatever competition you follow.

Going by your assessment, using the English Premier League as an example, every footballer follower in the UK can only support the big four. Born and bred in Burnley, no point following them they can’t win the league.

Was my support of our club over the past 50 years a pointless exercise?

Just by coincidence the last two times I have visited the UK I have seen Crystal Palace twice, 2014 St James Park against Newcastle United and in 2016 against Watford. Crystal Palace each and every season are in a dog fight for Premier League survival, no chance of winning there fans support there team just hoping to finish 17th or better. Try telling them there is no point to even take part. Good luck with that one.

Being a fan really is about the tribalism, supporting your team no matter what. First or last, you are a fan regardless.

Kilkenny

Coach
To drop off in form in the biggest game of the year, Is the very meaning of choking in Sport
That’s just not true. Chocking in sport is an entirely different beast. The situation we have found ourselves in is a loss of elite form as a combination of many factors which I have tried to express. Chocking is about being at the peak of your powers and then wilting under the intense pressure put upon you by your opponent. We went into the Bunnies game, not in peak form, it was not a Winx scenario. We were never a $1-01 to win. We lost, we didn’t choke just lost. Shit happens.

Novak Djokovic choked in the US Open tennis final he was unbackable, $1-01 to win. Couldn’t be beaten. He chocked under the extreme pressure he was under to win the ultimate grand slam. Therein lies the difference and if you and Smug cant differentiate such an obvious difference it is breathtaking.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Post of the year Kilkenny.

I see supporting a footy team a bit like being a member of a family.

You don't ditch them just because they're not winning. The dark times make the good times (like now) so much better.

I'm not about to carry on like a pork chop if Penrith lose tomorrow night. Yep I'll be sad. But like the players, club and others I'll saddle up for 2022 with lots of joy.

pantherz9103

First Grade
You don't win 21 games on the back of making the GF last year, To be bundled out in week 2 of the finals

Pretty much this sums it all up. They've risen expectations to such a degree by a near faultless regular season once again and therefore need to live up to them or they are letting themselves and everyone connected with the club down. The one thing I hate the most is to be called a choker.

WestyLife

First Grade
That’s so not true Westy.

There fans across the globe, who support teams who are never going to win the NRL, NFL, EPL or whatever competition you follow.

Going by your assessment, using the English Premier League as an example, every footballer follower in the UK can only support the big four. Born and bred in Burnley, no point following them they can’t win the league.

Was my support of our club over the past 50 years a pointless exercise?

Just by coincidence the last two times I have visited the UK I have seen Crystal Palace twice, 2014 St James Park against Newcastle United and in 2016 against Watford. Crystal Palace each and every season are in a dog fight for Premier League survival, no chance of winning there fans support there team just hoping to finish 17th or better. Try telling them there is no point to even take part. Good luck with that one.

Being a fan really is about the tribalism, supporting your team no matter what. First or last, you are a fan regardless.

As if those fans don't want to win 😂

The_Frog

First Grade

This is a pretty good article, but misses one of the best, in my view the best. The final round of 2003. Penrith Stadium, 23,304 crowd. Parra playing for 8th spot, which was theirs if they could win by 27. Panthers playing for the minor premiership. There has never been a bigger game than this between these clubs. Parra started on fire, leading 10-0 in better than even time. Then bombed another try before Panthers clicked into gear scoring back to back. Parra would get back to 16-12 in front with a 3rd try but that was the end of the section. Penrith had reached 40 before Parra troubled the scorer again.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade

This is a pretty good article, but misses one of the best, in my view the best. The final round of 2003. Penrith Stadium, 23,304 crowd. Parra playing for 8th spot, which was theirs if they could win by 27. Panthers playing for the minor premiership. There has never been a bigger game than this between these clubs. Parra started on fire, leading 10-0 in better than even time. Then bombed another try before Panthers clicked into gear scoring back to back. Parra would get back to 16-12 in front with a 3rd try but that was the end of the section. Penrith had reached 40 before Parra troubled the scorer again.
I've seen the highlights of the minor premiership of 2003 sealing game many times. That solo try by Wesser is still awesome to watch and he scored a few more like that in '03.

The article mentions the loss in 2000 in Week 2 of the finals. That loss was pretty shattering at the time and plenty of Eels fans were giving it to me that night when I walked out of the S.F.S with my old Panther jersey and flag. I've never been so happy to see the Broncos win a game and shut them up the next week by winning the preliminary final. We are long, long overdue to beat the Eels in a final.

Kilkenny

Coach
As if those fans don't want to win 😂
By all means ignore what I have written. I don’t give a f**k either way. Let’s just have an NRL competition of four teams and I guess from your stance let’s hope we are one of the four. 24 rounds of for and against play each other half a dozen times each. No point including those who can’t compete or win the big one. I’m not sure the TV rights deal would be that great but go figure.

Kilkenny

Coach
It's 100% true. If we lost doing what we do then so be it. We choked from top to bottom, all starting with the coach
Seriously the only choker is you. Not glass half full, not glass half empty you are just the man when it comes to doom and gloom. You have no equal. You are amazing, you really are, there just isn’t one ounce of positivity. And sadly you have followers, some who support what you preach.

TheRiff

Juniors
Post of the year Kilkenny.

I see supporting a footy team a bit like being a member of a family.

You don't ditch them just because they're not winning. The dark times make the good times (like now) so much better.

I'm not about to carry on like a pork chop if Penrith lose tomorrow night. Yep I'll be sad. But like the players, club and others I'll saddle up for 2022 with lots of joy.

Who is ditching who? Still can be disappointed by an under achieving family member

TheRiff

Juniors
That’s just not true. Chocking in sport is an entirely different beast. The situation we have found ourselves in is a loss of elite form as a combination of many factors which I have tried to express. Chocking is about being at the peak of your powers and then wilting under the intense pressure put upon you by your opponent. We went into the Bunnies game, not in peak form, it was not a Winx scenario. We were never a $1-01 to win. We lost, we didn’t choke just lost. Shit happens.

Novak Djokovic choked in the US Open tennis final he was unbackable, $1-01 to win. Couldn’t be beaten. He chocked under the extreme pressure he was under to win the ultimate grand slam. Therein lies the difference and if you and Smug cant differentiate such an obvious difference it is breathtaking.

We lost 3 games all year, Including winning by 30 the week before. That is being in bad form?

TheRiff

Juniors
Why do you support the Panthers.

Cause they are the local team, Because they are the local team doesn't mean you can't want them to perform to their standard

Do you think Souffs were content losing the last 3 Prelims? Certainly the players aren't. Bennett sure wants more.

Roosters punted a decent 7 in Pearce to rent Cronk for 2 seasons, after a series of near losses

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Seriously the only choker is you. Not glass half full, not glass half empty you are just the man when it comes to doom and gloom. You have no equal. You are amazing, you really are, there just isn’t one ounce of positivity. And sadly you have followers, some who support what you preach.
I've been positive all year sweetie

Latest posts