What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would say probably…They lost more games this year and if they miss the grand final then they have gone worse in the regular season and gone worse in the finals.
Couldn't that just mean they had less luck? Their coach and all their key players were more experienced this year. They had the benefit of last year's finals experience, plus nearly a dozen Origin games. Maybe it doesn't offset the loss of Tamou, Mansour and Tetevano.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would say probably…They lost more games this year and if they miss the grand final then they have gone worse in the regular season and gone worse in the finals.

Penrith's finals form hasnt been great compared to regular season

There two finals wins last year were a field goal against a busted roosters. And a 4 point win against souths where Reynolds was a cm away from a 40/20 in dying stages to put souths on attack.

They haven't played their best in finals

King-Gutho94

Coach
If they bring in this 2nd Brisbane team in 2023. Mahoney would be there number 1 target i reckon. I hope he stays but i would be worried the new franchise is looming

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith's finals form hasnt been great compared to regular season

There two finals wins last year were a field goal against a busted roosters. And a 4 point win against souths where Reynolds was a cm away from a 40/20 in dying stages to put souths on attack.

They haven't played their best in finals
They lack big game experience compared to their rivals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If they bring in this 2nd Brisbane team in 2023. Mahoney would be there number 1 target i reckon. I hope he stays but i would be worried the new franchise is looming
Hopefully we can lock him up before November, though he would already have expressions of interest and likely dollar values.

yy_cheng

Coach
Its really confusing isnt it. Lane has been middle or bench middle most of the year then hes back on the edge at the death. Im not complaining as I much prefer him on the edge but WTF?
I prefer him in the middle as he gets less game time and he gets more involved in the middle

"The security of the new deal is something foreign to the Bulldogs junior, who couldn't make Canterbury's SG Ball squad.

"I was a Bulldogs fan growing up and it was always my dream to play for them," Tupou said. "But it didn't work out. I don't really know why, I suppose I just wasn't good enough."

Tupou received a lifeline from Parramatta but struggled to get a consistent chance on the wing in Toyota Cup during his two-year stint. O'Sullivan, however, liked what he saw from the limited exposure and offered a healthy deal to defect to Bondi.

Parramatta responded with just $15,000 a season, leaving Tupou with no choice but to pack his bags."

Always the same narrative. Cut-by-Parra or Parra-didn't-want-him when the truth is always Parra-didn't-offer-enough-money.
No matter how much it's sugar coated they didn't rate him simple as that - how could the Chooks make him into an NRL player in less than a season though that is the question you should be asking

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not if Yeo played hooker
Yep. You can't compare unavailable players without also looking at who actually took the field to replace them. Naden is a much better winger than Stone is a dummy half. Naden and Crichton were the centres in last year's grand final ffs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No matter how much it's sugar coated they didn't rate him simple as that
If we didn't rate him we wouldn't have offered a contract. But there's a reason privately owned clubs like the Storm, Chooks and now the Warriors keep giving Peter O'Sullivan a job, despite (or was it because of) this sort of thing:

"The NRL's former salary cap auditor Ian Schubert uncovered evidence that O'Sullivan failed to disclose third-party payments in player contracts. He was also found to have "deliberately concealed" the real amount paid to at least two players."

how could the Chooks make him into an NRL player in less than a season though that is the question you should be asking
Well he obviously had potential and the Roosters were able to afford to buy the bloke who was best at spotting it (and making the best offer):

"O'Sullivan is considered one of the best game's best judges of talent, having unearthed a slew of superstars including Greg Inglis and Israel Folau. More recently, he has been credited with bringing exciting fullback Latrell Mitchell to the Roosters."

Sydney Roosters recruiter Peter O'Sullivan cops indefinite ban from NRL

Apologies for the sugar coating

hindy111

Post Whore
No matter how much it's sugar coated they didn't rate him simple as that - how could the Chooks make him into an NRL player in less than a season though that is the question you should be asking

I actually remember there was a bit of hype around him at the time. Not heaps but he was mentioned.
I will tell you something I do know about Penrith. They refuse to get into bidding wars for one of their young kids. They understand it is a lottery. SUALI was one of them. They knew he was a high chance to be good and would be chasing the $$ knowing the family so just didn't bother.
There are so many reasons people persisit or don't with guys and it could simply be due to timing. Let's say Parra wrapped Mahoney up for 4yrs and a great young hooker come thru. Do they invest money in him or focus on a winger or 2nd row where they have a pathway for?
I just don't think it is as cut and paste as some think. Sometimes the kid just doesn't want to play for the side either and that might be due to his own personal experience with his current team mates and coach. I have friends sons who wanted out of Penrith for example.

hindy111

Post Whore
If our club was in the bottom 4 we wouldn't of lost guys like Twal and Stephano. Success come at a cost.
I reckon Penrith hold onto Burton to if they where not a top 8 club.

emjaycee

Coach
I can't believe after our 3rd consecutive year with a finals finish we are talking about a guy who has played 10 years for another club after our 'shit club' let him go as a junior.

The club has identified and publicly stated that we ignored and didn't focus on our juniors anywhere near enough for a long time and in fact in late 2018, 'the Bern' made some pretty clear comments on the plans that need to be put in place (meaning they weren't there).

We also announced just 12 months ago, an increased focus on our junior pathways.

Don't forget, from 2007-2008 we had Hagan hitting the M1 straight after full-time, 2009-2010 we had Anderson trying to just keep the NRL team afloat and then we had Kearney and Stuart.
If is no wonder we lost a lot of juniors to other clubs throughout that time.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There squads along with Souths are weaker. Ours looks stronger with youngsters getting experience.
Yep, our backline looks very exciting next year. Potentially ready to match our pack.

assuming Sivo doesn’t start the year and a youngster replaces him, we could have 4 players under 23 (Dunster, Will, drown, Russell ) and 3 experienced players (Moses, Gutho, blake).

I nice combo of youth and experienced. When was the last time we actually had a few promising youngsters in the backline.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I can't believe after our 3rd consecutive year with a finals finish we are talking about a guy who has played 10 years for another club after our 'shit club' let him go as a junior.

The club has identified and publicly stated that we ignored and didn't focus on our juniors anywhere near enough for a long time and in fact in late 2018, 'the Bern' made some pretty clear comments on the plans that need to be put in place (meaning they weren't there).

We also announced just 12 months ago, an increased focus on our junior pathways.

Don't forget, from 2007-2008 we had Hagan hitting the M1 straight after full-time, 2009-2010 we had Anderson trying to just keep the NRL team afloat and then we had Kearney and Stuart.
If is no wonder we lost a lot of juniors to other clubs throughout that time.
Well I kinda reckon you nailed it.
Do you have an opinion on the people involved in scouting, identification etc both internally and externally?