What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Noise

Coach
The fact that the bar has been raised and the expectations are greater is evidence that we have significantly improved over the last 8 years
We are better than we were when he got here in 2014 but we have plateaued now. We are the only club in the history of professional rugby league in Oz that has kept a coach this long with f**k all success. Now I know you think winning more games than we lose in the regular season is success but I disagree. It's the semi finals that counts. And we can't seem to get over that same hump every year. And we keep rewarding the coach for the same results.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We are better than we were when he got here in 2014 but we have plateaued now. We are the only club in the history of professional rugby league in Oz that has kept a coach this long with f**k all success. Now I know you think winning more games than we lose in the regular season is success but I disagree. It's the semi finals that counts. And we can't seem to get over that same hump every year. And we keep rewarding the coach for the same results.
I don't view it as us rewarding the coach. Signing Flanno or even Hollbrook a few years ago wouldn't guarantee improvement. In fact, we could be worse.

An extension might de-risk 2022 and create greater stability but you can still sack the merkin at the end of the season if we bomb.

I also don't place all of the blame for our performances on the coach. When the players aim up and deliver what BA asks we go alright.

Further, I don't feel like we've been that shit in our finals matches. We've played teams that are better than us.

Finally, I don't think we've plateaued now that I have reviewed the entire season. We found a performance in our game against the Storm and the Panthers that surprised me.

Were you not proud of what the team did against the Panthers? I know what a shit finals performance look like and that was far from it.

I agree with commentary around attack. That needs to improve, but again I dont lay 100% of the blame on the coach. Our players need to be more composed with the ball in their hands.

Anyway, the whole thing is irrelevant. I think we will be so good next year that the question around whether we should have extended BA's contract will be redundant.

Noise

Coach
I don't view it as us rewarding the coach. Signing Flanno or even Hollbrook a few years ago wouldn't guarantee improvement. In fact, we could be worse.

An extension might de-risk 2022 and create greater stability but you can still sack the merkin at the end of the season if we bomb.

I also don't place all of the blame for our performances on the coach. When the players aim up and deliver what BA asks we go alright.

Further, I don't feel like we've been that shit in our finals matches. We've played teams that are better than us.

Finally, I don't think we've plateaued now that I have reviewed the entire season. We found a performance in our game against the Storm and the Panthers that surprised me.

Were you not proud of what the team did against the Panthers? I know what a shit finals performance look like and that was far from it.

I agree with commentary around attack. That needs to improve, but again I dont lay 100% of the blame on the coach. Our players need to be more composed with the ball in their hands.

Anyway, the whole thing is irrelevant. I think we will be so good next year that the question around whether we should have extended BA's contract will be redundant.
In terms of our finals appearances under BA I will disagree that we haven't been shit in some finals performances. I have been to all of them except for this year (due to Covid) and we have been shit in a number of them. We were shit against the Cowboys in 2017, embarrassing against the Storm in 2019 and bad in the 2nd half against Souths in 2020.

In terms of our game against Penrith this year I was proud of our defence but thought our attack was very average, particularly attacking their line. I know Penrith's defence is the best in the comp but our ability to construct an attacking set and ask genuine questions of the defence is poor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I prefer to think of Arthur's as being in his third year of the new post-Max professional era at our club. Three years of week two finishes isn't bad. That describes the first three years of Bellamy's career as well as Shane Flanagan's. Wayne Bennett only made a preliminary final in his third year, and that was with a squad full of Origin players. For most coaches these things take time. They can't all experience instant success like Hagan, Stuart, Maguire and Green.

hindy111

Post Whore
In terms of our finals appearances under BA I will disagree that we haven't been shit in some finals performances. I have been to all of them except for this year (due to Covid) and we have been shit in a number of them. We were shit against the Cowboys in 2017, embarrassing against the Storm in 2019 and bad in the 2nd half against Souths in 2020.

In terms of our game against Penrith this year I was proud of our defence but thought our attack was very average, particularly attacking their line. I know Penrith's defence is the best in the comp but our ability to construct an attacking set and ask genuine questions of the defence is poor.

Never stretched them. Our attack didn't do a lot and had we conceeded 2 x tries early we would be unable to hit the go button.
Why I mentioned prior to game we must score first.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Cowboys game was really bad. Others were somewhat expected, but still disappointing. This year was different.

I agree that our attack needs to improve. I'd rather be in the position we are though than someone like Manly who has attacking brilliance but are brittle in defence.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cowboys game was really bad. Others were somewhat expected, but still disappointing. This year was different.

I agree that our attack needs to improve. I'd rather be in the position we are though than someone like Manly who has attacking brilliance but are brittle in defence.

And 3 of there better players are getting quite old.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can't stand DCE. I might see if I can get in touch with his agent and pretend I want to provide a third party endorsement and then just send him to Bones on Bones to have yourself and @TheRam f**k him up.

You filthy disgusting man. Me and @TheRam have standards. His odd shaped egg head would even get thru stage one of the selection process.

Tooooks

Bench
Craig Bellamy won his first premiership In his 10th season ;)

Noise

Coach

Is Manly's defence that much worse than ours? We averaged 19 points against and they averaged 20.5

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
until someone mentions our appalling finals appearances, and then we shift the focus to the regular season.
Like Bandy being racist, that only happens in your head.

I think what you'll find happens is that the assertion that we are "appalling" in finals is discussed and an alternative view offerred.

I even assessed every game and put them in a table FFS!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Unlike you, I dont place as much weight on regular season games. Finals is where it counts and we were averaging 14 points against to their 27.
They did play Melbun and Souffs to be fair, we let the might of Newcastle put 4 tries on us. And talk about a small sample size, as Pou’s shadow you should know about these things.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
until someone mentions our appalling finals appearances, and then we shift the focus to the regular season.
Bullseye GIF by Keith Urban

hindy111

Post Whore
Is Manly's defence that much worse than ours? We averaged 19 points against and they averaged 20.5

We copped a few bad losses but against some good sides showed great defense. Manypeaks rarely showed good defense against any good attacking side. Plus sometimes lucks against you or another side scores a great try. Manly seem to conceede easy tries from my viewing

Noise

Coach
We copped a few bad losses but against some good sides showed great defense. Manypeaks rarely showed good defense against any good attacking side. Plus sometimes lucks against you or another side scores a great try. Manly seem to conceede easy tries from my viewing
Manly also copped a few bad losses, particularly in their first 4 games where they averaged almost 40 points against in each of them. You cant argue that we had some bad losses and then ignore theirs.

After their bad start they only conceded 16.8 points per game which is pretty good under the new rules.

Latest posts