What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

blacksafake

First Grade
Frank Facer wouldn't have appointed McGregor in the first place let alone resign him twice. Also, Frank Facer would have immediately cleaned out most of the players we've had over the last few years. He would have ensured we had a strong pack, clever halves and deadly backs, who wanted to play for the Red V. A bit like Hook is trying to do now. Where it was easier for Frank was that there was no salary cap or player number limits complicating these decisions.

Don't lay the blame for the problems left by McGregor on Griffin. Criticise him for his actions for sure, like playing Bird at fullback but even then I'm glad he tried it this year and after experimenting seems to have settled on Sloan as our fullback going forward.

I'm glad that Corey Norman has moved on but I dont believe he was anywhere near the problem many posters made out. Our first issue is forwards not taking the hard hitups and leaving it players like Ramsey to take the first hitup from the line. I dont want to see props arriving on the 4th tackle for their hit up, and then producing slow play the balls, there job is to do the hard yards and get the the momentum started for the team. Watch how Bromich, Welsh and even NAS play, they are not trying get their stats up, they have a very clear job and they do it.
Good post 👍

blacksafake

First Grade
Frea

Frank would have got another million or 2 from the leagues club and sacked who he saw fit to and brought who he wanted. O' the good old days. Buying an Australian rugby league test five eight ( Branson ) and then buying an Australian Rugby test five eight ( Hawthorne ) because he could ! We had so much money in the mid- late 60's it was as if buying players was a tax write off for the Leagues club !
There’s always been rumours of the players being allocated the proceeds from poker machines, which if true would have been a nice little earn.

My last say on Tariq Sims. Any chance he'd take a substantial pay cut.. similar to what Paul Gallen took with the Sharkies in his last few seasons. Sims has to understand he can no longer command big bickies but by asking for far less he gets to see out his career at the club he loves.

Belta

Juniors
Gunna sound like a real a#$&h#$$e. But I remember an interview awhile back where Sims was having a real whinge at dragons supporters for what he perceived was a highly critical fan base. I remember thinking at the time, gee instead of whining about that, you along with your team mates take some responsibility for the s%&t being dished up. To me his recent interview feels much the same, to me he sounds like he’s feeling hard done by again, whereas I think he should take ownership of his destiny, aim to be a real force next year and command a renewal (whilst at the same time gather interest from rivals. I hope I’m not being to tough, but it’s how I see it.

Gardenia

Juniors
My last say on Tariq Sims. Any chance he'd take a substantial pay cut.. similar to what Paul Gallen took with the Sharkies in his last few seasons. Sims has to understand he can no longer command big bickies but by asking for far less he gets to see out his career at the club he loves.

Yes if he could afford this then great idea - Like Gypsy did

denis preston

First Grade
Interesting that he is saving over 40k a year by self managing. Ironic as now he really needs a manager to get that extra two year contract.

possm

Coach
Saying nice things about club now . Bugger we can’t use his 700k this year on recruitment .
I would think we have all the money we need to recruit the players we need. Gone are:

Dufty - 350k
Pereira - 200k
Saab - 150k
William - 250k
Norman - 850k
Clune - 200k
Ellis - 150k
Vaughan - 700k
Burns - 200k
Wishart - 200k
Brittan - 150k
McInnes - 450k

3.75m

Yes, there are some others who have left that I just can't recall right now and some of these players have been replaced by juniors from within the Club however, the above list is sufficient to indicate our capacity to recruit the players marked in red below;

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey

3. Suli - 500k
4. Soctt - 400k - bargain

5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt

8. Molo

9. B Smith - 650k
10. Sims
11. Su'A - 500k (done)
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Sullivan

15. G Burgess - 350k - bargain
16. Lawrie
17. McGuire

So with just an approx. 1.9m left to spend, we could have a very competitive 2022 squad. Get on with it Millward, go and bring home the bacon!

George Dragon

Juniors
I would think we have all the money we need to recruit the players we need. Gone are:

Dufty - 350k
Pereira - 200k
Saab - 150k
William - 250k
Norman - 850k
Clune - 200k
Ellis - 150k
Vaughan - 700k
Burns - 200k
Wishart - 200k
Brittan - 150k
McInnes - 450k

3.75m

Yes, there are some others who have left that I just can't recall right now and some of these players have been replaced by juniors from within the Club however, the above list is sufficient to indicate our capacity to recruit the players marked in red below;

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey

3. Suli - 500k
4. Soctt - 400k - bargain

5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt

8. Molo

9. B Smith - 650k
10. Sims
11. Su'A - 500k (done)
12. Bird
13. De Belin

Bench
14. Sullivan

15. G Burgess - 350k - bargain
16. Lawrie
17. McGuire

So with just an approx. 1.9m left to spend, we could have a very competitive 2022 squad. Get on with it Millward, go and bring home the bacon!

This is gold, you are so far wrong you have nearly lapped yourself to be wrong again.

Let's start with the big no idea, Wishart didn't even have a contract with the club let alone be on 200k.
Burns is still contracted to the club
Saab left before the year so that money has been used.
That over half a million you are out by already.

On the other side Burgess has signed a base incentive contract of around $130k.
You have completely missed a player we have actually signed Mybe.
We are not signing Scott so leave it alone and Smith will not be coming to Dragons.

You also need to allow for contract increases for players on sliding contracts, like Lomax Hunt Ramsey Rava.
You then have all the base contract players Beale Amone Sloan J Hunt Sullivan Twins who would of been getting around 3k bonus for every FG game that gets added to next year's cap.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
This is gold, you are so far wrong you have nearly lapped yourself to be wrong again.

Let's start with the big no idea, Wishart didn't even have a contract with the club let alone be on 200k.
Burns is still contracted to the club
Saab left before the year so that money has been used.
That over half a million you are out by already.

On the other side Burgess has signed a base incentive contract of around $130k.

We are not signing Scott so leave it alone and Smith will not be coming to Dragons.

You also need to allow for contract increases for players on sliding contracts, like Lomax Hunt Ramsey Rava.
You then have all the base contract players Beale Amone Sloan J Hunt Sullivan Twins who would of been getting around 3k bonus for every FG game that gets added to next year's cap.
It’s possm being possm mate. He’s in his own little salary cap world of rainbows and lollipops. Bloody Millward!!!!

Trifili13

Juniors
It’s possm being possm mate. He’s in his own little salary cap world of rainbows and lollipops. Bloody Millward!!!!
From the amount of free cap space that Possm came up with, I would say he manages the Rooster's sombrero. The Rooster's seem to sign players for unders because of their culture and players wanting to play for them but when it's time to move on it frees up double the amount they paid for them.

All good Possm, I like reading your posts and more importantly your heart is in the right place and only want the best for the Red V like all of us. Bloody Millward.

redv13

Bench
From the amount of free cap space that Possm came up with, I would say he manages the Rooster's sombrero. The Rooster's seem to sign players for unders because of their culture and players wanting to play for them but when it's time to move on it frees up double the amount they paid for them.

All good Possm, I like reading your posts and more importantly your heart is in the right place and only want the best for the Red V like all of us. Bloody Millward.
Possm is great value, a little off with his numbers and hopes but like you said he means well and has passion to see us do well

Trifili13

Juniors

Let's hope we get 800k value out of him if that is what he is on.

I love how the press make out this and that player is a great player and that we are silly to let them go, yet Dufty was only offered a 1 year deal with the wooden spooners for all his attacking brilliance that everyone talks about and Sims who had a very good SOO series this year, I would suggest can't get another club to offer him a longer contract at the price he is after so will stay with us. That's my take with Sims but could be wrong and hope he brings his SOO form next year and has a blinder and we have a successful year.

Latest posts