What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

Perth Red

Post Whore
The worst kept secret in rugby league is out with master coach Wayne Bennett to coach the Dolphins on a three-year deal from 2023.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported outgoing Rabbitohs coach Bennett has agreed to terms with the NRL’s expansion franchise when they enter the competition in two years’ time.

The 71-year-old has hired veteran agent Sam Ayoub to secure the deal which is for two seasons with the potential for a third in 2025.

GAZF

First Grade
tumblr_or982aCNdO1uzae1ko1_500.gifv
Get your gifs ready for the game day threads
CGL9zpLUYAA-NQY

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins were officially unveiled as the NRL's 17th team on Wednesday, after staving off bid rivals the Jets and Firehawks to become the second team based in Brisbane.
The club's headquarters will be based at their traditional home ground of Moreton Daily Stadium in Redcliffe, 40 km north-east of the Brisbane CBD.

However, they will represent the greater Brisbane region and share Suncorp Stadium as their home ground with the Broncos.

Speaking to News Corp leading into the official announcement, Dolphins general manager Terry Reader said the club would drop 'Redcliffe' from their name and consult the community about using a more general geographic reference instead if they were to win the license.

“Redcliffe is not intended to be in the Dolphins NRL team’s name,” Reader said.

“Redcliffe will be the Dolphins’ NRL team base and present what the Red Hill base is to the Broncos.

“The Dolphins aim to consult with the community, fans and the NRL on a final name that may include a geographical reference suitable for Brisbane’s second NRL team."

However, after being officially approved for the 17th licence, it's since been revealed they will be referred to as 'The Dolphins', in a bizarre call that sparked confusion in the wake of Wednesday's announcement.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said dropping Redcliffe from the name was about encompassing and welcoming a wider region of new fans into the game.

"Redcliffe is no longer the name, they are quite deliberately calling themselves 'The Dolphins'," he said.

"This is about owning not just Brisbane and having a second Brisbane team but owning the north as well.

"Our research tells us we have a number of fans in this area and in Queensland that don't currently support an NRL franchise. We're a game of tribes."

While The Dolphins' name could take some getting used to, more details regarding players the club is pursuing for their inaugural roster can be expected over the coming months.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Freaking morons on 2SM trying to come up with a name. For some reason Hughes, Tunks, et al, don’t seem to realise Dolphins is staying and “Redcliffe” is the issue. Callers suggesting things that haven’t even been mentioned by any of the creative genii who patronise LU expansion threads.

Everything from Pelicans to Cherry-Blossoms. Not sure they are following along closely enough.

Titans have huge potential as the early years showed. It was them screwing the local community with the construction of the Centre of Excellence that left a sour taste in people's mouth. Hopefully they can recover the support.

to me, once the novelty of being the new team wore off, they struggled. Either they made a point of signing a heap of risky players that backfired, or it was all they could attract.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I think to maximise sponsorship dollars teams should get corporate names and preferably related to their culture.

News Ltd Dolphins as they are propping the team up.

Others could be KPMG Storm, Colgate Rabbitohs, Amitage Shanks Broncos, etc

Think the NRL and Redcliffe realise there is baggage and history with the Redcliffe name.

Good move calling them The Dolphins for now.

Galvanize people from all over SEQ, Brisbane to go for "The Dolphins". Then in 2023 they can become the SQ / East Coast / Redcliffe / Brisbane Dolphins with all their new fans from all over the region.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think the NRL and Redcliffe realise there is baggage and history with the Redcliffe name.

Good move calling them The Dolphins for now.

Galvanize people from all over SEQ, Brisbane to go for "The Dolphins". Then in 2023 they can become the SQ / East Coast / Redcliffe / Brisbane Dolphins with all their new fans from all over the region.
Whats the advantage of waiting 12 months then having to pay for a rebrand of a new brand?

Whats the advantage of waiting 12 months then having to pay for a rebrand of a new brand?
To be fair to Perth, they've had their brands for 10+ years and will have to do the same.

All I'm saying is, they know what they'll be called. For the moment, they want people recognising "The Dolphins".

Angry_eel

First Grade
Well if you're going with "The Dolphins", you're opening a can of worms there as well. Is the NRL going to decide each name from now on? We had a set precedent of area and moniker and now they've changes this. Can we call teams like FC Adelaide in the future?

Floodwaters

Juniors
I honestly don't understand this, the comp quality wise is at a all time low, you probably have 5 sides in a good spot and the bottom 8 all are in a woeful spot and it now puts the bye back into play..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So just "The Dolphins" for now?

I'm glad theyre the new team, just hope they put a name before the Dolphins

Having teams with just "The, like Sharks and Bulldogs did years ago, is just lame.

I remember when the Bulldogs and Tigers both had Sydney in their names but people still kept calling them Canterbury and Balmain. I wonder if people will call them Redcliffe until they came up with a name like Moreton Bay Dolphins or South QLD Dolphins.

If they decide on North Brisbane Dolphins, how would the Devils feel about that?

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Claims that this is being done in the name of an "expansion bid" is laughable.

This new club will be the South Queensland Crushers 2.0.
Please tell me you are joking. This has to be the most uninformed / head in the sand comment of all time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I honestly don't understand this, the comp quality wise is at a all time low, you probably have 5 sides in a good spot and the bottom 8 all are in a woeful spot and it now puts the bye back into play..
and misses out on money from what a ninth game content could have brought in. It was a super conservative and safe move by the NRL, what you'd expect really.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
I believe the Dolphins is just a placeholder. The northern corridor is growing massively and I believe they will take their time and consult with the community. It is difficult, how will they come up with a name encompassing Brisbane, Moreton & Sunshine Coast without sounding ridiculously generic. Will watch with interest.

Last edited: