What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
Cheers mate.

I’d love to see the Reds back, strong brand and looks great! I’d dare say the Roo would need to be simplified for 2021, a la my team (Titans) and Wests. With Redcliffe in now, if they got up, do you think they would have to change colours a bit, like make black more prominent and ditch white??
Something like this
20211022_080001.png

Was a quick mobile phone edit, turned out terrible, but you get the drift

Colk

First Grade
That would be great for the game. If we introduce Perth as the 18th team in 2024 and it and The Dolphins are successful then in 2028 there's the opportunity to bring in NZ 2 and Bris 3.

We need to be pro active and aggressive over the next 5-10 years as we've allowed our competitors to get so far ahead of us.

A Pacific team is pie in the sky stuff. PNG would be light years ahead and they're still decades away from being viable.
I would love for the ARLC to be this aggressive I can’t see it happening. However exciting, I think you would need to completely overhaul the pathways and junior system for it to work. I agree with you on the Pacific Islands/PNG - it is at least 20 years down the track if ever v
Something like this
View attachment 55329

Was a quick mobile phone edit, turned out terrible, but you get the drift

That looks so good. Wonder if anybody could do a full mock up of that

Perth Red

Post Whore
for a Pirates bid I’d stick with black yellow/gold and red. Just have it on different design to dolphins. Or do a dolphins and steal the red white and grey :)

flippikat

Bench
for a Pirates bid I’d stick with black yellow/gold and red. Just have it on different design to dolphins. Or do a dolphins and steal the red white and grey :)
How about red black & grey?

Attachments

• images (3) (2).jpeg
    images (3) (2).jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It must be Perth. I can't even see New Zealand 2 being as important, although they definitely deserve the right to a place further down the track. I would like to see the Warriors get their shit together a tad beforehand. As it stands, if the National Rugby League wants to actually live up to the name, Perth is the obvious choice for team 18.

MugaB

Coach
It must be Perth. I can't even see New Zealand 2 being as important, although they definitely deserve the right to a place further down the track. I would like to see the Warriors get their shit together a tad beforehand. As it stands, if the National Rugby League wants to actually live up to the name, Perth is the obvious choice for team 18.
Not sure it matters, since broncos has turned to absolute shíte, yet they brought in another SEQ expansion in t he Dolphins, maybe having NZ2 will give the Warriors the much needed kick in the A-hole

Hartwood

Juniors

Businessman Has “Set Aside $10 Million” For Perth NRL Team

FORMER Perth Reds chairman Laurie Paddy says an un-named businessman has set aside $10 million dollars to underwrite Western Australia’s return to the NRL
In the wake of the Dolphins’ admission to the top flight, Puddy was speaking on Higher Ground, a radio show hosted by former Reds player Chris Warren. He said he and former Perth Reds chief executive Gorden Allen were ready to head up the new franchise.
“I’ve met with the government, I’ve met which colleagues, business people – money would not be a problem,’ said Puddy.
“There’s one business colleague who is prepared to put up $10 million as a guarantee and so-on so money will never be an issue with the next rugby league team coming out of Western Australia.
“Three million people over there are busting to have their own team and support it.
“You know, I went to the last State of Origin in Perth and I had tears in my eyes because a lot of the people walking into the ground were wearing Western Reds gear – jumpers, shirts, jackets.
“Ready to go – all we need is someone to say, ‘we’ll give you consideration, you start getting it done’. Gorden is now back in Perth. He’s chomping at the bit. I need to get to Perth and get an opportunity to talk to Peter V’landys again.”
NRL chief executive Peter V’ladys has previously spoke on the record about Perth being too far for players to travel and having too many “rusted on” Australian Rules fans.
Puddy said: “I’ve had some discussions with Peter V’landys and I understand that there will be further discussions.
“However, nobody’s too excited about it and they’ve obviously had their hands full. It’s not a five-minute job. It’s a three-year project. It took three years in the past to put the Reds together and I would say that it would take us two years to do it again.”
Puddy said he was determined to continuing his pursuit of a return for the Reds, who competed from 1995 to 1997 before falling victim to the Super League War.
“We put too much money and too much effort into it from the outset to let it just go away. We know what we achieved and there are still people who are willing to go back to Perth to finish the job,” he said.
“I just need to have the people at headquarters to acknowledge that three million people in Western Australia can support a rugby league team.”

BunniesMan

Immortal
We don't need far flung outposts like Perth right now. Another Queensland team is the most logical. Brisbane could handle another team, that way we have more rivalries and could have a more balanced option if we go down the conference route. A primarily Queensland conference and a Sydney conference.

MugaB

Coach

Businessman Has “Set Aside $10 Million” For Perth NRL Team

FORMER Perth Reds chairman Laurie Paddy says an un-named businessman has set aside $10 million dollars to underwrite Western Australia’s return to the NRL
In the wake of the Dolphins’ admission to the top flight, Puddy was speaking on Higher Ground, a radio show hosted by former Reds player Chris Warren. He said he and former Perth Reds chief executive Gorden Allen were ready to head up the new franchise.
“I’ve met with the government, I’ve met which colleagues, business people – money would not be a problem,’ said Puddy.
“There’s one business colleague who is prepared to put up $10 million as a guarantee and so-on so money will never be an issue with the next rugby league team coming out of Western Australia.
“Three million people over there are busting to have their own team and support it.
“You know, I went to the last State of Origin in Perth and I had tears in my eyes because a lot of the people walking into the ground were wearing Western Reds gear – jumpers, shirts, jackets.
“Ready to go – all we need is someone to say, ‘we’ll give you consideration, you start getting it done’. Gorden is now back in Perth. He’s chomping at the bit. I need to get to Perth and get an opportunity to talk to Peter V’landys again.”
NRL chief executive Peter V’ladys has previously spoke on the record about Perth being too far for players to travel and having too many “rusted on” Australian Rules fans.
Puddy said: “I’ve had some discussions with Peter V’landys and I understand that there will be further discussions.
“However, nobody’s too excited about it and they’ve obviously had their hands full. It’s not a five-minute job. It’s a three-year project. It took three years in the past to put the Reds together and I would say that it would take us two years to do it again.”
Puddy said he was determined to continuing his pursuit of a return for the Reds, who competed from 1995 to 1997 before falling victim to the Super League War.
“We put too much money and too much effort into it from the outset to let it just go away. We know what we achieved and there are still people who are willing to go back to Perth to finish the job,” he said.
“I just need to have the people at headquarters to acknowledge that three million people in Western Australia can support a rugby league team.”
Here we go again the money men and investors... coming out of the woodwork, this sounds awefully like the bears, ipswich, bombers and every other bid that is trying to spark up media fans of expansion, purely to grab an ear of the ARLC, which means shit really, yes perth is deserved of a team, but will it be the bid that has hearsay investors, and talk about 2 year headstart, dophins had been settings eyes on an expansion slot for decades, hoping and nurturing juniors/participation, building a nestegg and foundations to push hard for a spot...
Can't be just giving away licences to the only bid in the far far away city of perth just coz dots on a map, to a shonkey laury puddy.

Like i said i want a perth team just feel they are not competitive enough, to deserve one, i mean would we still persist with Melbourne if they weren't true born winners,
I'd probably say yes, mostly due to the 5mil population, and Perth deserve a team with its soon to be 3 million population, but not a shit team, from a shit bid, that has a license first mentality, howabout build the Joondalup Giants up to become a powerhouse for example, then get them to push for a licence, not this bring back the reds, and then we'll figure shit out on the run...most NRL clubs started as a lower tier club and were promoted up to 1st grade, with the dolphins expansion this has come back around, yes easts and ipswich were similar in being an existing product, but any one of the bids would be able to go toe to toe with most NRL clubs, can't say the same about anything currently in WA

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Still find it funny how people carry on about Perth being too far away. It’s a 5 hour relatively in-expensive flight not a camel ride across the Nullarbor. Ron Massey Cup teams were travelling longer to play in Fiji pre-covid FFS.

Pippen94

First Grade
Haha , the tin foil is showing mate, mind you half on here think I’m an afl fan so I suppose it’s a step up from that lol

Yeah, ur somebody who has been part of Perth bid coming here under guise of being regular fan & bagging rival bids. Absolute shameless

Nuke

Staff member
I like the way you're thinking there, MugaB, however not one local WA club would be anywhere near big enough or rich enough or have anywhere near the resources to be able to do it that way. Most clubs are run on volunteer-power too. Everybody's got a fulltime job and runs their footy club in their own time (which, from personal experience, is f**king exhausting!).
For Perth, 100% the best way to do it is for a Pirates / Reds / Quokkas / 'whoever' to be created, and for kids playing for the Joondalups and Willagees and Fremantles, ect, to aspire to progress through their club up into the NRL team.

I suppose the superficial reason not to go your idea here is that unfortunately all clubs names and/or colours already exist in the NRL (or at least used to).
Tigers (orange, black, white)
Sea Eagles (maroon, white)
Rabbitohs (red, green)
Bulldogs (blue, white)
Roosters (red, blue, white)
Sharks (sky blue, white, black)
Bears (red, black, white)
Storm (purple, dark blue, white, yellow)
...and...
Giants (Broncos colours: maroon, gold, white)
Lions (Dragons colours: red, white).

Any local club that makes themselves an NRL bid team would need to overhaul their identity beyond recognition.

Pippen94

First Grade
Here we go again the money men and investors... coming out of the woodwork, this sounds awefully like the bears, ipswich, bombers and every other bid that is trying to spark up media fans of expansion, purely to grab an ear of the ARLC, which means shit really, yes perth is deserved of a team, but will it be the bid that has hearsay investors, and talk about 2 year headstart, dophins had been settings eyes on an expansion slot for decades, hoping and nurturing juniors/participation, building a nestegg and foundations to push hard for a spot...
Can't be just giving away licences to the only bid in the far far away city of perth just coz dots on a map, to a shonkey laury puddy.

Like i said i want a perth team just feel they are not competitive enough, to deserve one, i mean would we still persist with Melbourne if they weren't true born winners,
I'd probably say yes, mostly due to the 5mil population, and Perth deserve a team with its soon to be 3 million population, but not a shit team, from a shit bid, that has a license first mentality, howabout build the Joondalup Giants up to become a powerhouse for example, then get them to push for a licence, not this bring back the reds, and then we'll figure shit out on the run...most NRL clubs started as a lower tier club and were promoted up to 1st grade, with the dolphins expansion this has come back around, yes easts and ipswich were similar in being an existing product, but any one of the bids would be able to go toe to toe with most NRL clubs, can't say the same about anything currently in WA

Perth has population of 2.06 million. 3 million is some way off

Colk

First Grade
From Google;
"Perth's population is expected to increase to 2.5 million people in 2030, 2.9 million in 2040 and almost 3.4 million by 2050"

This is all semantics. There’s no valid reason given why one city team with over 2 million can’t work

Hartwood

Juniors
From Google;
"Perth's population is expected to increase to 2.5 million people in 2030, 2.9 million in 2040 and almost 3.4 million by 2050"
From WA government - future perth website "This is forecast to grow to 2.9 million people by 2031"

Colk

First Grade

Whereas Cairns/PNG would be. Cairns/PNG would be as geographically isolated as Perth. I get your argument
about pathways but it is more important that any prospective club can financially sustain themselves.

If you do expansion you are never going to actually grow the game, all you’d be doing is adding teams to areas where you already have sides.

Colk

First Grade
Whereas Cairns/PNG would be. Cairns/PNG would be as geographically isolated as Perth. I get your argument
about pathways but it is more important that any prospective club can financially sustain themselves.

If you do expansion you are never going to actually grow the game, all you’d be doing is adding teams to areas where you already have sides.
Sorry your way

Colk

First Grade
We don't need far flung outposts like Perth right now. Another Queensland team is the most logical. Brisbane could handle another team, that way we have more rivalries and could have a more balanced option if we go down the conference route. A primarily Queensland conference and a Sydney conference.

What is the point of this? I’m not saying it won’t happen because of V’landys but I just don’t get it. Let the Dolphins and Titans bed in or gain greater support first. Secondly, are you adding supporters doing this or are you just taking supporters away from Brisbane and the Titans