What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

The_Frog

First Grade
The fact is the club is following all legal avenue .by issuing a show cause and giving him a week..That legally allowed them to take action .Dismiss sanction fine
No idea what they will do .here is my view
Fine 25k
6 months volunteer work for a woman’s charity .let him learn and hear from the woman who have had there lives affected by various crimes hardships
After 6 months then 6 months working for free 1 day a week labouring let him see life with out footy
This would have been more appropriate after the original matter. He's going to claim, and on pretty reasonable grounds, that this Instagram post for which he is being sanctioned had nothing whatever to do with women.

They could tear up the contract he already signed and offer him one of a lower value, same effect as a fine but not showing in the salary cap, and put him in the Ron Massey Cup for half a season or so. Trouble is, he might get targeted there. Better to keep him in reserve grade.

To be honest, I think they will sack him. I'm not a bit impressed with multiple sanctions for a single misdemeanor that isn't especially serious and I doubt they'd do it for any other reason.

mxlegend99

Referee
They didn't give him a sanction on top of the NRL for the offence. They didn't give him a sanction on top of the NRL for the TikTok business. But they're giving him a sanction on top of the NRL now. He's gone, but I do believe their grounds are tenuous. They'll be hoping he takes it on the chin
Strike 1 - his court case (which put him on thin ice. And surely added conditions he needed to meet in his next contract... And according to todays statement he has breached the terms of his contract)
Strike 2 - his COVID breach with Nathan last year and failing to co-operate with the integrity unit
Strike 3 - the damage his post caused after the grand final taking gloss off the biggest day the club has had in almost 20 years

He has an opportunity to convince our board that he didnt breach the terms of his contract.

But I can't imagine Tyrone has a legal leg to stand on if he fails to change their minds. It would be pretty incompetent for the club to offer him new contracts without standards he needed to meet and for us to terminate his contract without him actually breaching it.

I mean I wouldn't be at all surprised if we butchered it somehow. But it wouldnt be hard to be covered in this instance.

The_Frog

First Grade
P

Pretty impressive to be having sex and also holding a heavy Polaroid camera .those of us vintage guys on here will appreciate how awkward those things where
I happen to know it can be done. I don't have the evidence any more because my first wife found them (they weren't of her you see) and threw them out. They weren't especially heavy but they were bulky.

Just to lighten a heavy conversation a bit.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe there's an agenda, but f**k it someone needs to wear the black hat.

Just a shame for May that he's made himself an easy (& not completely undeserved) target.
Lighten up mate. If he gets sacked well and good, I’m just expressing my opinion.

Kilkenny

Coach
So from what I gather, May is just misunderstood and should be admired for his strength to get through such a difficult period in which he knowingly filmed a woman in a sexual act without consent... Oh, and because some other players snorted some shit (allegedly) this is all just a media beat up and the whole world hates us.

Did I miss anything?
You clearly have.

Iamback

Coach
Strike 1 - his court case (which put him on thin ice. And surely added conditions he needed to meet in his next contract... And according to todays statement he has breached the terms of his contract)
Strike 2 - his COVID breach with Nathan last year and failing to co-operate with the integrity unit
Strike 3 - the damage his post caused after the grand final taking gloss off the biggest day the club has had in almost 20 years

He has an opportunity to convince our board that he didnt breach the terms of his contract.

But I can't imagine Tyrone has a legal leg to stand on if he fails to change their minds. It would be pretty incompetent for the club to offer him new contracts without standards he needed to meet and for us to terminate his contract without him actually breaching it.

I mean I wouldn't be at all surprised if we butchered it somehow. But it wouldnt be hard to be covered in this instance.

He was re-signed twice inbetween. Unless a clause is put in it starts again unless a major breach

mxlegend99

Referee
He was re-signed twice inbetween. Unless a clause is put in it starts again unless a major breach
Yes. And his new contracts would have conditions he failed to meet. Clearly the club saw him as a risk given he was on year to year contracts.

After his first 1 year contract he was involved in the COVID breach with Nathan so the club is hardly going to ease up on the conditions for the next contract.

The club statement says he breached his contract. They would know what the conditions are and whether or not he breached them.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yes. And his new contracts would have conditions he failed to meet. Clearly the club saw him as a risk given he was on year to year contracts.

After his first 1 year contract he was involved in the COVID breach with Nathan so the club is hardly going to ease up on the conditions for the next contract.

The club statement says he breached his contract. They would know what the conditions are and whether or not he breached them.
That's what it will come down to. The interesting part is the official club insta liking the post and the 180 after the outrage machine kicked into gear. If Tyrone is indeed shown the door, the person running the social media shouldn't be too far behind if the club is going to be consistent.

The_Frog

First Grade
But I can't imagine Tyrone has a legal leg to stand on if he fails to change their minds.
Did they warn him not to post on social media? In writing?
One day we will flog to Broncs they always trouble us

Rugby league is dead.

The club has a truckload of differing and likely conflicting interests that it has to consider in making its decision.

1. The interests of the sponsors and a goodly proportion of the fanbase all of whom have expressed considerable disapproval of his actions. Can sponsors concerns be mitigated by imposing social media bans and implementing educational/welfare programs, as already mandated by the NRL, and possibly a period of non-participation in the first grade side, to remove the player from the glare of publicity?
2. The interests of the NRL and the club itself both of which are quite dependent upon business interests for their livelihood. This can and does put the sport between a rock and a hard place especially when the business interests are frequenly media whose own interests (to make money) are best served by sensationalising often trivial matters.
3. The interests of the playing group and coach, who appear to strongly support May. It's not hard to imagine a negative backlash if he's just thrown under the bus. While the likes of the Phantom would no doubt enjoy seeing Panthers have another rock bottom season like 2019 where they finished with the same number of wins as the Wests Tigers, it would be in the interests of no-one else.
4. The legal obligations of the club in terms of employment law. Obviously he could be paid out, but would such a payout be counted under the salary cap? And would this cost be greater than that of losing a sponsorship, all things considered.
5. The interests of Tyrone himself, to whom the club and the NRL have a duty of care regardless of what he might have done. The potential for an appalling tragedy and the ramifications of same for the sport, club, and wider community must be considered, and as we all should know it is nigh impossible to know what thoughts lurk in the minds and hearts of an individual under extreme pressure.

All things considered, I think the club should honour his deal, having held the appropriate discussions with its concerned sponsors, send him to the appropriate education/welfare programs, impose a ban on all social media bar none, and let him run around in reserve grade or even at St Marys for a period of time, perhaps half a season or so, not only to escape the glare of publicity but also to rekindle the potential he undoubtedly has.

That's what it will come down to. The interesting part is the official club insta liking the post and the 180 after the outrage machine kicked into gear. If Tyrone is indeed shown the door, the person running the social media shouldn't be too far behind if the club is going to be consistent.

I don’t think the social media person needs to be sacked, but they should be more careful with their interactions.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Who on here has ever excused or condoned what May did resulting in his criminal conviction.

It is well accepted he did the wrong thing.
Really? I suggest you go back through this thread brother. There’s a couple of people who think he’s being hard done by in relation to the backlash he’s copped from the filming incident.

He f**ked up. If he gets the sack because of it I for one won’t be upset.

soc123_au

Staff member
I don’t think the social media person needs to be sacked, but they should be more careful with their interactions.
I don't either really. I can only assume that they saw the post as exactly as what May has said was intended.

They probably need to come up with a clear social media policy going forward.