What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
Of all the peole that deserve an upgrade I'd have Junior down the list, RCG clearly our best big bopper this season while Jnr went slightly backwards imo

not too many offloads that I can remember and they were his strength

I honestly didn’t think RCG was capable of playing the way he did. Will be a huge loss IMO. I’d be very surprised if we didn’t lose one of our star players, but would hate to lose RCG.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, I don’t get the vibe that xxxxx player is entitled to an upgrade. Sure there are some in the squad like Papa and Reed, but the club is trying to operate under the same cap, so if they all demand upgrades that only means that you end up with a top heavy squad.
There is increased demand for the same number of players due to the new team coming in. The mechanism for players moving to the new club is them being priced out of their existing clubs' salary caps.

TheRam

Coach
If an AFL club folds for any reason my understanding is the governing body will guarantee the players contract.

Well fair enough then and like you said it would be easy enough for the NRL to do the same since they give out the Salary grant anyway.

I have a feeling though that that isn't the sticking point.

TheRam

Coach
I certainly can't tell. I could confidently put Gutherson in the $600k-$800k range, but that's a f**ken big range. If I'm a club administrator and I offered $600k and he left for more elsewhere is it my fault because I lowballed him? If I offered $800k and he's not worth that much then I've hurt the club's salary cap by paying overs.

Ayoub might know exactly what Gutherson is worth but he will be trying to get more than that. He doesn't care if Parra (or any other club) pays overs, and neither does the player I reckon. He'll be thinking he can take up the slack from talent forced out of the team by his new big contract, or that the club should be able to find a couple more value buys on unders.

This is why I always back the club over the players. Because they are mostly a bunch of self absorbed merkins who always put themselves ahead of the club. Understandable, but I'm a Parra fan, not a Gutho fan. f**k that merkin.

The same could be said about the coach, but you always side with the coach. Parra fan my arse. Self described amateur analyst that constantly blows it hard to the point of rating plodders over genuine stars.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Of all the peole that deserve an upgrade I'd have Junior down the list, RCG clearly our best big bopper this season while Jnr went slightly backwards imo

not too many offloads that I can remember and they were his strength

RCG would be a big loss, for sure.

But RCG's form - as well as Papali'i's form - is exactly the reason why I am confident that we can replace players, if need be.

Arthur has his flaws as a coach, but he sure knows how to coach forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The same could be said about the coach, but you always side with the coach.
No I'm just aware of how hard it is to rate coaches based on the short term performance of their team. I've explained why plenty of times. I agree Brad Arthur might be a poor coach. I also think he might be a very good one. I suspect though that he is merely above average, which is in line with our club overall. He is an appropriate coach for where our club is at the moment.
Parra fan my arse. Self described amateur analyst that constantly blows it hard to the point of rating plodders over genuine stars.
When have I ever rated plodders over stars? I advocate for plodders because the salary cap demands them. Even the best teams have plodders in their top 17. You're wrong to blame the plodders when a team fails. Scapegoating is my pet hate. It's why you motherf**kers killed Jesus.

T-Boon

Coach
One of the main problems with Arthur is players don't seen keen to want to play for him. Look at Gutherson his good friend. He is basically crapping all over his face in the media at the moment with his constant awful public contract negotiation. To me Gutherson has questionable integrity.

Angry_eel

First Grade
One of the main problems with Arthur is players don't seen keen to want to play for him. Look at Gutherson his good friend. He is basically crapping all over his face in the media at the moment with his constant awful public contract negotiation. To me Gutherson has questionable integrity.
What has Gutherson said so far? His manager is talking and that's managers - they along with real eastate agents are middle men scum.

I think the team made a mistake by not finalising the signatures during the season.

I for one am liking it so far, it provides entertainment in the off season.

hindy111

Post Whore
I honestly didn’t think RCG was capable of playing the way he did. Will be a huge loss IMO. I’d be very surprised if we didn’t lose one of our star players, but would hate to lose RCG.

Huge loss on this year's form. And I am sure he will be good next as well.
But think of how many props dominate and how long. Many drop off and fast. Klemmer and Vaughn where the best two props in the game two or three years ago.
Shannon Boyd was not far off

84 Baby

Referee
His agent speaks on behalf of him, after the dog and pony show last time as skipper you’d think he’d do whats best for the club and his teammates.
He wore thin the collective patience last go round then wanted $1m a season around the time he was abusing his teammates on the field and then with chance to prove his worth, did next to zero during finals. If a decent fullback was available I’d be tempted to let him walk

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He wore thin the collective patience last go round then wanted $1m a season around the time he was abusing his teammates on the field and then with chance to prove his worth, did next to zero during finals. If a decent fullback was available I’d be tempted to let him walk
I think he played busted in the back end of the season but i agree. He's easily the most replaceable that we have off contract. Who knows by 2023 Russell could be ready to step up and take the 1 jersey. Could be a big save for our cap.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
While I wouldn’t have Gutho as the priority signing, I’m also hesitant to write off what he brings to the team. Not all of it can be found in the stats either. A lot of effort and other intangibles.

Hoping a few sign up before Nov 1, but to be honest, the older I get the more I think “if they don’t want to be here, I don’t want them here”. 2022 is going to be huge for us.

chiefy1

Juniors

Great Post spot on

hindy111

Post Whore
That's the thing. In big games is Gutherson a game changer? No
Good reliable and solid. Had he nailed his pass against Penrith and not forward different story