What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Have any of you blokes ever negotiated before?

Fair dinkum - coming to the table with your highest offer as your initial deal is amateur hour...

The club did the right thing.

Just because he rejected the first offer does not mean he will reject any subsequent offers...
The club did the right thing by trying to lowball one of our most important players?? He’ll get offered 600k easy from quite a few clubs 425k was just insulting. 500k was more than fair because I doubt he’d want to leave after the season he just had.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t understand the lack of announcements from the club. From what I can tell we are one of only a small handful of clubs that haven’t made a new signing or re-signing announcement since the competition finished.

Is our entire management team on holidays?

surely they’ve been able to extended one of the 8 players we have off contract by now.
That would be a sign of desperation. I think we've offered what we think they're all worth, and called their bluff on getting overs elsewhere. Most will re-sign. The Dolphins will be offering giant salaries to the top dozen or so players and will take the first three or four to sign with them. The rest will have their offers pulled and they will go back to negotiating with the rest of the clubs. There are no doubt other clubs with marquee spots to fill for 2023 (especially if they lose a star to the Dolphins) and they will be making offers to the best players as well. It'll be January at the earliest before the top players all have homes for 2023. Negotiations with the next tier of players (e.g. Matterson and Drown) will happen concurrently, but the money available for these guys at any given club will depend on the movement of the RCG/Gutherson tier players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Michael Chammas
@MichaelChammas

Isaiah Papali’i today rejected a 2 year extension ($425k a year) from the Eels. Informed club he is hitting open market Nov 1

Wests Tigers have signalled their intention to make offer up to $600K

Luciano Leilua’s manager asking Tigers for $700K+

————————————————————-

We’ve lost the plot.
Only $425k for the arguably our best player last year and NRL second rower of the year?

he’s worth at least $550-$600k and a 3 year deal.

if they f**k this up the next 4 weeks it closes our premiership window before the pre-season even starts
None of these players are leaving next year.

Incorrect

Coach
Have any of you blokes ever negotiated before?

Fair dinkum - coming to the table with your highest offer as your initial deal is amateur hour...

The club did the right thing.

Just because he rejected the first offer does not mean he will reject any subsequent offers...
Hear what you're saying... But given his current deal is for f**k all ( probably less than half of what we're offering now) we've already substantially upped that for his next deal already....

Hindsight is 20/20 but we should've extended back circa July/August....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The club did the right thing by trying to lowball one of our most important players?? He’ll get offered 600k easy from quite a few clubs 425k was just insulting. 500k was more than fair because I doubt he’d want to leave after the season he just had.
Just because the Tigers have to pay overs doesn't mean offering less is a lowball bid.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hear what you're saying... But given his current deal is for f**k all ( probably less than half of what we're offering now) we've already substantially upped that for his next deal already....

We're in the box seat. We can offer Papali'i an upgrade for 2022. Other clubs can't, unless we agree to release the player.

And how many players sign extensions in July with more than a year to run on their contracts? They don't want to be stuck on unders, which is what a mid-year extension could mean.

Players sign in July when their contract is running out that year, not at the end of the following year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I hear what you're saying. And it's a valid concern.

But I think O'Neil has proven to be a smart operator - I'm sure he will get him.

Maybe it's not the amount he rejected, but the length.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I agree with you completely, mate.

Gronk

Staff member
We could of offered Papa 200k or 800k and either way Pou would be saying the clubs done the right thing, in his opinion the club never does anything wrong ever.
There is some irony here cos no matter what we do, you’ll find a way to sledge the club. 🥸

I guess you guys cancel each other out.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There is some irony here cos no matter what we do, you’ll find a way to sledge the club. 🥸

I guess you guys cancel each other out.
Bullshit, when the club deserves praise i'm always happy to give it.

But when it does something i don't agree with i wont apologise for being critical. When has Pou ever been critical about the club ever??? I know you love digging up posts i'm sure you'll find plenty from me giving the club a wrap.