What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Ponga is worth more than Gutherson
*costs
One off game, sure I’d want Ponga. But the question needs to be asked why they haven’t been performing better and surely a big part of that reason is he has been on overs.
If the difference was $100k maybe $200k, I’d entertain it. But that article puts the difference more like $500k. He isn’t that much more talented

Matty Bhoy

Juniors

Mahoney reportedly makes contract decision​

He's set to stay
Reports suggested yesterday the offer Parramatta could put on the table would be substantially less than the one the Bulldogs, Broncos or Dolphins could provide, however, in a rare case of player loyalty, Mahoney is set to stay in Brad Arthur's side.

This place is going to implode.... looks like Ray Price finally picked up his phone. :D

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Riccio and Read were absolutely scathing of our management in todays DT podcast, without using too much logic or evidence. Parra will be ripped apart they said. Put us back 5 years. I don't know why I persist in listening to some of these cretins, there is more footy knowledge on here.

Avenger

Immortal
I reckon signing Ponga is potentially possible without blowing the cap apart.

Say for 2023 we sign:

Gutho on $800k
Drown on $600k
Sivo stays on $400k

total - $1.8 million

we could instead:

ponga - $1 million to $1.2 million (reckon the media $1.4 m suggestion is crap. Additionally he may want to play in a stronger side / move to Sydney for media opportunities)

JA - $200 to $300k or so (yeah he doesn’t have a lot of fans, but after another 2 NRL off seasons will improve substantially plus in a spine of Moses/Mahoney/Ponga only needs to be “solid”)

Russell - $150k, then promote a younger back into the squad (Sam? JT?)

total - $1.350 to $1.650 million

obviously not that simple….but seems possible..
And that scenario looks like the problems that Newcastle have now. One superstar surrounded by plodders.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Riccio and Read were absolutely scathing of our management in todays DT podcast, without using too much logic or evidence. Parra will be ripped apart they said. Put us back 5 years. I don't know why I persist in listening to some of these cretins, there is more footy knowledge on here.
Have listen to that podcast a few times, can’t do it anymore. It contributes nothing !!

anyhow the idiots forget if we don’t re-sign those players, we then have cash to spend…..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
And that scenario looks like the problems that Newcastle have now. One superstar surrounded by plodders.
But he wouIdnt be surrounded by plodders, we would have a spine of:

1. Ponga
6. JA
7. Moses
9. Mahoney

3 origin players……

2 quality centres in Blake / Will
Solid wingers
Pack wouId be similar to this year

Whinging because there’s no leaks from the Parra side perhaps?

King-Gutho94

Coach
From what i hear ponga is just as high maintenance then anyone. His father has too much to say apparently as well. He wants a sitdown with adam O'Brien and newcastle to discuss before potentially moving Kalyn to 5/8.

I also believe the fallout up in the cowboys came from Paul Green not getting on him with the father as well

King-Gutho94

Coach
I dont listen to it but the committee can't be judged on our Recruitment or retention until everyones future is finalised and see who we lost, what we paid to keep players who stayed and who we brought in externally anyway.

What is the criticism anyway is it because we supposedly low ball our players original offer we make they have to go market

hindy111

Post Whore
If he’s on 275k next season that’s unders, where can you find a player if his quality at that price?? And he seems like the type of bloke who give his all no matter what. The job of our club is to find someone who can do a similar job as him for around the same price.

Isaiah Papali'i says Hello

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Isaiah Papali'i says Hello
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Latest posts