What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
My point is just because he's on overs at Newcastle doesn't mean we'd have to pay overs. Although if he was 100% motivated by money then he'll probably only ever play for clubs like Newcastle or the Tigers.
Based on articles we would unless he’s so desperate he gives up his guaranteed contract or Newcastle were charitably desperate

lingard

Coach
Riccio and Read were absolutely scathing of our management in todays DT podcast, without using too much logic or evidence. Parra will be ripped apart they said. Put us back 5 years. I don't know why I persist in listening to some of these cretins, there is more footy knowledge on here.
I was with you until the second half of the last sentence.

eels_fan

First Grade
Sometimes I think the media just make up shit as they need to fill space.

I somehow doubt on Monday we told our 3 highest priority players they had 5 days to sign or we’d be going to the market.

firstly there is no one on the market equivalent to any of those 3 players with the exception of Brandon Smith who will either be at the roosters, Dolphins or titans.

Secondly, it’s just stupid business to put a deadline on all 3 at once when they have the same manager.

lingard

Coach
But do you see his speed in a game?

Matto looks as though he is going at 70% during games
Matterson, in my opinion, is an elite level edge forward who has heaps of skills. I reckon he could play centre just as well as (or probably better than) Marata. The thing is he has been coached to fit in with our game plan - which means less flair and more power running straight into the opposition. He does it well, but most of his talent is wasted. But he's my favourite Eels player, so I could be a tad biased.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The way I see it.

If I am at a place I like and wish to stay I would see what their offer is. If I was happy I'd sign but if I wanted to test the waters I would ask my agent to see what other clubs are offering. Would I waste my time meeting them? NO.
If they made an offer that made me consider leaving only then would I go and meet and check things out to see if I liked what I saw before informing the people I work for know what they are offering and what it will take for me to stay with them. That's if I wanted to stay or wanted out.

I understand perhaps clubs won't make offers untill they meet the player. If that is how it works then fair enough but I call bullshit on that. I find dinner very strange way also. I imagine a meeting at club and a walk around for a few hours a more normal process. Dinner means a few drinks and imo a greasy way to do things.

The fact Rheed has met to me suggests the Bulldogs made a very good offer. One he seriously considered and thought it was worth meeting for
As far as Gould goes he is a manipulative groomed. He would of not only talked The Dogs up as a team on the up but also bagged the Eels and explained or manufactured bullshit internal problems. This is why he would of wanted dinner and probably a few drinks.

Much of the worlds business is done over dinner and a few drinks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Matterson, in my opinion, is an elite level edge forward who has heaps of skills. I reckon he could play centre just as well as (or probably better than) Marata. The thing is he has been coached to fit in with our game plan - which means less flair and more power running straight into the opposition. He does it well, but most of his talent is wasted. But he's my favourite Eels player, so I could be a tad biased.
I agree with you.

It saddens me how under-appreciated he is

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think he's an awesome defender, and he would be very dangerous if we could get him more one-on-one opportunities on the short side. But that would mean we're set up for the long shift to the left. GIVE IT TO GUTHO AGAIN FFS!

crocodile

Bench
This ^^^.
Just think what could have been. Strong, quick, defence and a habitual offloader. Sadly, just gets used as a battering ram.