What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Fitzy We Trust

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Chimp the speed of the general play has nothing to do with instance risk of a single shot to the head. If it’s dangerous to risk being hit then you retire or change sports, you don’t just move countries and hope all is well.

snout

First Grade
The way and the position he plays he will get head knocks.
Everybody goes into a game with the aim of protecting their head. - but the knocks come when you don't expect it.

If WG plays any other way he isn't the WG we need.

Chimp

Bench
Chimp the speed of the general play has nothing to do with instance risk of a single shot to the head. If it’s dangerous to risk being hit then you retire or change sports, you don’t just move countries and hope all is well.
Of course the speed of play has an impact, as players become fatigued and make more poor choices/reads as a result (getting head in wrong position), or not having time to get back in defensive line correctly and having to make a quicker decision. The line speed in NRL is also much faster - all leads to a higher risk of getting head in the wrong position, which is Wades main issue.

Quigs

Immortal
I also believe that WG style over the years of huge impact and leaving his mark with the opponent is now one of the factors that might be contributing to his concussion issues.

You look back over the seasons and remember how many times Wade would rattle some poor bastards in games. He wiped out the Donkeys forwards one particular game.

Unfortunately he might have to tone it down a notch or two.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Of course the speed of play has an impact, as players become fatigued and make more poor choices/reads as a result (getting head in wrong position), or not having time to get back in defensive line correctly and having to make a quicker decision. The line speed in NRL is also much faster - all leads to a higher risk of getting head in the wrong position, which is Wades main issue.
It’s not going to be the specific reason for him getting hit nor will a slower game save him. Sam burgess smashed his face up in the 2014 GF in the first 10 secs under zero fatigue. Wade will get hit by a high shot or head clash and fatigue won’t be mentioned at all.

My point is, if he is told it’s dangerous to keep playing then moving to France reduces that risk by zilch.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
He was always going to France cause his missus is French and her family is over there. I’m sure the intention was to play out the twilight years of his career over there but that will depend on if he gets through this year unscathed. Ultimately those plans could be knocked on the head…. I’ll see myself out.

Chimp

Bench
It’s not going to be the specific reason for him getting hit nor will a slower game save him. Sam burgess smashed his face up in the 2014 GF in the first 10 secs under zero fatigue. Wade will get hit by a high shot or head clash and fatigue won’t be mentioned at all.

My point is, if he is told it’s dangerous to keep playing then moving to France reduces that risk by zilch.
His concussions haven’t been from getting hit high though, the vast majority have been from poor tackle technique. You can’t really mitigate for a clash of heads you’re correct, but a less high speed game, with subsequently less impact, will reduce the likelihood of the type of concussion he’s been getting. But yeah, the risk will still be there.
From hearing Wade speak, I really don’t think he’s worried about it - in the interviews I heard from him at the time and since, I think it’s clear his standing down last year was more to get away from the media noise around his concussions - he said he wasn’t suffering any after effects, but didn’t want the speculation and further scrutiny if he got another in such a short space of time. I don’t think Wade is worried about it, and think he’d be happy to go play in France, pick up the odd concussion and get back playing without all the media furore.

He was always going to France cause his missus is French and her family is over there. I’m sure the intention was to play out the twilight years of his career over there but that will depend on if he gets through this year unscathed. Ultimately those plans could be knocked on the head…. I’ll see myself out.
No.
She is Canadian, that is an entirely different country.
Does she speak French?
Yes she does.

snout

First Grade
He showed some game this year.

Why not back yourself to push into a team capable of playing SF footy.
Learn off a coach who's been involved in premiership winning, SOO and Oz teams.

Obviously doesn't want to still be playing footy in September.

Sometime during '22 he will be enquiring about getting out of that deal. If he doesn't go before

Quicksilver

Bench
Can’t really blame him. He wasn’t really given a clear pathway with the re-signing of Moylan. Plus, we kind of have someone penciled in for each of his positions going forward. Careers are short and he needs to make a mark soon otherwise he’ll be on the scrap heap.

Good luck to him.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Can’t really blame him. He wasn’t really given a clear pathway with the re-signing of Moylan. Plus, we kind of have someone penciled in for each of his positions going forward. Careers are short and he needs to make a mark soon otherwise he’ll be on the scrap heap.

Good luck to him.
Not sure how much Moylan impacts his pathway. And it's more we have someone pencilled in the postions he plays.

Quicksilver

Bench
Not sure how much Moylan impacts his pathway. And it's more we have someone pencilled in the postions he plays.

Well, Moylan is almost certainly in front of him in the pecking order. He most likely holds him out of the starting side while he’s fit.

carinashark

First Grade
Metcalf is gone , get the Kiwi dollars and play NRL. Good decision ,others in high places will see what he brings to the game. Sitting on the bench or playing for Newtown limits the exposure.

Frenzy.

Immortal
The speed and intensity of the game on Super League is nowhere near NRL, the volume of concussions (or players failing concussion tests at least) is nowhere near NRL, the media focus in general, but certainly on players with repeated concussion is nowhere near NRL…. And if the truth be told, I don’t think the players are really honestly that worried about it, they’re being bullied into retiring by the media - Wade will go off to France to play, as he likely won’t have the luxury of a guaranteed post-career pay packet like Cordner and Friend will have from the Roosters and Uncle Nick that actually make it more finically viable to retire and stay with the Roosters than say go over to France with Catalans for a couple of years.

Geez Chimp I know you're from the Old Dart but are you paying attention?

75 former players now supporting legal action on concussion