What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Suitman

Post Whore
I am asking a) is this going to mean flood events more than usual b) how long does la etc last ?

We are already having flood events that MAY only get worse, and there is never a finite time for either an El Nino or a La Nina. BOM are talking about this one lasting till January. It could last longer.
We were in La Nina mode last summer, albeit a weaker version, before it faded somewhat.
It is now back with a vengeance.

LA NIÑA underway in the tropical Pacific​

The ENSO Outlook has been moved to LA NIÑA.

Key atmospheric and oceanic indicators of the El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) show an established La Niña. Tropical Pacific sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are close to La Niña thresholds, with models indicating further cooling is likely. Atmospheric indicators including the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI), trade wind strength, and equatorial cloudiness have demonstrated a response to this oceanic cooling and are typical of La Niña conditions. The latest 90-day SOI ending 21 November was +8.6.

The current model outlooks suggest this La Niña will persist until the late southern hemisphere summer or early autumn 2022. All models surveyed by the Bureau indicate SSTs will meet NINO3.4 La Niña thresholds in December and January with a majority also predicting thresholds will be met in February 2022.

Bureau climatologists will continue to closely monitor conditions in the tropical Pacific as well as model outlooks for further changes to this La Niña event.

Suitman

Post Whore
I read the La Nina is supposed to be with us until March,

Yes, and that is what the BOM's statement said, yet the bloke today announcing it said it would last at least till January.
Weather and climate is the most inexact science, and I understand why.
Trends can be forecast, like now, but accurate weather forecasts cannot be predicted beyond 4 days, as there are so many variables that change within and beyond that range.
For example, storms could be predicted tomorrow for Tweed Heads, but, who knows where those storms will appear?
The south of the Tweed could get one, but the north not. Then, the people north of the Tweed complain about the Bom saying they were wrong. It's a thankless and impossible job forecasting weather.

Noise

Coach
I barley lived through La Bamba FFS.

Ping @Suitman ????

We are actually in a second la nina event in a row - a double dip la nina. Last year was also a la nina event. It is not uncommon for it to double up.

Yes above average rainfall on the east coast and more chance of easterly swells. La Nina is great!

Latest posts