What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

We really need Vlandys to quit in December and someone with a bit more vision to come in so Perth take the front runner spot that we should be! No doubt in June we will get the usual platitudes and Perth must be next stories during Perth Origin that lead to nothing.
I think the fact Perth is getting the SOO again is a major positive. Considering that Melbourne missed out this year because of covid and NSW had to play three games in QLD.
I reckon it is time for all the WAWA's to stand up and show how much they really would support a team over there.
It's time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the fact Perth is getting the SOO again is a major positive. Considering that Melbourne missed out this year because of covid and NSW had to play three games in QLD.
I reckon it is time for all the WAWA's to stand up and show how much they really would support a team over there.
It's time.
Why? Not like we haven’t already. sold out nrl games, stadium records, sold out international, 15k for England v France World Cup game, 21k at nines weekend, 34k nrl double header, 60k sold out origin. How many times do we have to turn up to in order to prove theres support for the game here?

90EB74AA-4AAE-43A0-B5C9-447202098580.jpeg

Why? Not like we haven’t already. sold out nrl games, stadium records, sold out international, 15k for England v France World Cup game, 21k at nines weekend, 34k nrl double header, 60k sold out origin. How many times do we have to turn up to in order to prove theres support for the game here?

View attachment 56159
Because the opportunity is actually right there, right now. They actually need an 18th team.
You are so absorbed by the negative that you have become blind to what is happening in front of you.
I'm not talking of turning up, I'm talking of pushing your barrow way harder than you ever have before, stop resting on, what you consider, laurels.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because the opportunity is actually right there, right now. They actually need an 18th team.
You are so absorbed by the negative that you have become blind to what is happening in front of you.
I'm not talking of turning up, I'm talking of pushing your barrow way harder than you ever have before, stop resting on, what you consider, laurels.
Been there done it 2011, 2015 and here we go again. If the nrl can’t see the following for the game here based on the last ten years they aren’t going to suddenly see it now because we sell out yet another game. given what we have just seen in brisbane decision the only thing they will look for is some bit money backers to cover financial risk, or whatever news ltd wants Lol.

Been there done it 2011, 2015 and here we go again. If the nrl can’t see the following for the game here based on the last ten years they aren’t going to suddenly see it now because we sell out yet another game. given what we have just seen in brisbane decision the only thing they will look for is some bit money backers to cover financial risk, or whatever news ltd wants Lol.
That is a defeatist post.
If you dont have the heart to go for it right now, well maybe you should hand over the mantle to someone who actually wants to be the voice of WANRL on here.

I still reckon it'll be the Brisbane Firehawks, provided News Ltd aren't against it. Between the Firehawks and Jets, it's clear that the Firehawks are less of a threat to the News Ltd Donkeys as they won't take away Broncos support in Ipswich.

The ARLC couldn't care less about having a national profile and the broadcasters only want teams that will improve ratings. That leaves Perth and NZ 2 out in the cold.

Reactions: Ck9

flippikat

Bench
I still reckon it'll be the Brisbane Firehawks, provided News Ltd aren't against it. Between the Firehawks and Jets, it's clear that the Firehawks are less of a threat to the News Ltd Donkeys as they won't take away Broncos support in Ipswich.

The ARLC couldn't care less about having a national profile and the broadcasters only want teams that will improve ratings. That leaves Perth and NZ 2 out in the cold.
Sad, but most likely true.

The NRL have shown themselves to be conservative this century.. so most likely it'll come down to either the Bears or one of the losing Brisbane bids.

Brisbane 3 could make sense for team 19 or 20, once the Titans/Broncos/Dolphins rivalry is bedded-in.. but not this decade.

Far too soon after adding the Dolphins

mongoose

Coach
Well, this is the expansion forum after all.. where dreams run free & brainstorming is a way of life ;)

I know it takes some suspension of disbelief.. but as far as "what if" ideas go, it has some merit. Even if there's a snowballs chance that the NRL will grow a pair and move towards club relocation to solve the geographical imbalance.
sure, i wasn't thinking about whether it was a good idea or not, just the possibility of it ever happening which like you said "snowballs chance"

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is a defeatist post.
If you dont have the heart to go for it right now, well maybe you should hand over the mantle to someone who actually wants to be the voice of WANRL on here.
Haha didn’t realise that was my job! I’m a rugby league fan, advocate for an nrl club in perth and general follower of the game. A voice for WANRL I am not!

Sad, but most likely true.

The NRL have shown themselves to be conservative this century.. so most likely it'll come down to either the Bears or one of the losing Brisbane bids.

Brisbane 3 could make sense for team 19 or 20, once the Titans/Broncos/Dolphins rivalry is bedded-in.. but not this decade.

Far too soon after adding the Dolphins
Perth and NZ 2 should become before Bris 3. Ideally we want the Gubbi Gubbi Dolphins, or whatever their name is, to have 10 years to develop a stable fanbase and wait for the population of Greater Brisbane to hit 3m. If we want the game to grow then we need NZ and Perth, plus a Sydney team to relocate to Adelaide, with a third team in Brisbane by 2035.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We really need Vlandys to quit in December and someone with a bit more vision to come in so Perth take the front runner spot that we should be! No doubt in June we will get the usual platitudes and Perth must be next stories during Perth Origin that lead to nothing.
It is quite possible knowing RL's history that a change at the top could mean a change in philosophy and expansion gets taken back off the table. Let's ride the Vlandy's train because at the moment expansion is on the table and I'm sure we'll find when it comes to # 18 Perth will be the overwhelming favourite and obvious choice.

The current administration want to see financially strong bids, the ability to bring new fans and the ability to attract new TV money. No other of our current options do that like Perth so it will almost certainly be the 18th team... finally.

MugaB

Coach
It is quite possible knowing RL's history that a change at the top could mean a change in philosophy and expansion gets taken back off the table. Let's ride the Vlandy's train because at the moment expansion is on the table and I'm sure we'll find when it comes to # 18 Perth will be the overwhelming favourite and obvious choice.

The current administration want to see financially strong bids, the ability to bring new fans and the ability to attract new TV money. No other of our current options do that like Perth so it will almost certainly be the 18th team... finally.
All true, besides if not for PVL and abdo, the expansion talk would just be more talk, atleast now there is no.18 to build to and who knows maybe more

Perth Red

Post Whore
All true, besides if not for PVL and abdo, the expansion talk would just be more talk, atleast now there is no.18 to build to and who knows maybe more
True but a double edged sword, whilst Vlad has the gumption to make things happen he also has no vision or balls for taking the fight into AFL country. If he's still in charge in 2025 18th team wont be Perth it'll be Firehawks or Bears lol.

MugaB

Coach
True but a double edged sword, whilst Vlad has the gumption to make things happen he also has no vision or balls for taking the fight into AFL country. If he's still in charge in 2025 18th team wont be Perth it'll be Firehawks or Bears lol.
...and?

Perth Red

Post Whore
and the chance for the game to grow into the countries leading national footy code will be lost for another decade or three. Oversaturating Brisbane or bringing in another struggling NZ team isnt going to drive RL to be Australias #1 sport.

MugaB

Coach
and the chance for the game to grow into the countries leading national footy code will be lost for another decade or three. Oversaturating Brisbane or bringing in another struggling NZ team isnt going to drive RL to be Australias #1 sport.
You presume to know where they are heading before theyve gotten there... it won't be another SEQ team.. Bears (interstate) Nz2 or QLD5 that's where the fish are.. not all this crap about new timeslots and revenue.. NRL and ARLC only care about finals and SoO, as they are the money makers, club matches aren't top of the list, especially since they are paid for up front..
So really who cares if there's no crowds, ARLC aren't affected by it, the clubs are..
Tv is pumping out the adverts... perth could be no brainer, but your selling Argentina really... that's how far away they think it is, its like the wolfpack and eSL

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes, its so far away no other professional sport has managed it, oh hang on EVERY single on has EXCEPT rugby league lol. The distance is not the problem the lack of vision, belief and ambition is. You make my point well though, with Vlandys in chare we arent going anywhere we should be next.

MugaB

Coach
yes, its so far away no other professional sport has managed it, oh hang on EVERY single on has EXCEPT rugby league lol. The distance is not the problem the lack of vision, belief and ambition is. You make my point well though, with Vlandys in chare we arent going anywhere we should be next.
Hahaha.. geez your so butthurt.. PVL saves the game thru covid period, cuts the expenses, streamlines cap measures, and inducts a 17th expansion team... and your still whinging... even if they announced a perth team.. you'd get the shìts that it was announced by Pvl and not by Abdo or MG

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha.. geez your so butthurt.. PVL saves the game thru covid period, cuts the expenses, streamlines cap measures, and inducts a 17th expansion team... and your still whinging... even if they announced a perth team.. you'd get the shìts that it was announced by Pvl and not by Abdo or MG
yeh way to stray off topic to make yet another personal attack.

MugaB

Coach
yeh way to stray off topic to make yet another personal attack.
What's personal about it? Its just facts.. nearly every 2 out of 3 posts by you are just piling shìt on PVL or the nrl admin, expansion was no better with Greenberg in charge.. seriously the whinge meter is at a all time high when i read your posts.. RL has had many changes since i started watching it, and this is the closest to the golden era that was the Winfield cup in the 80/90s

Latest posts