What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks getsmarty. Moses will be great for us on and off the field. The younger ones will learn a lot from him. He is a very good reader of general play and will be there to set up a few moves when he takes the field.

The boys in the clip are looking quite fit and I can see that their leg and upper body strength is being worked on which they will need to out muscle the opposition and not to run out of puff.

Hookster needs to toughen him up and help him recover his confidence.

Just condition him to run at the line.

If he can get a bit of the dog into him, he could be a revelation.

The best club man on earth, actually respects fans and is grateful for any acclaim. None of this “ don’t u know who I am ? “ business.

Try to meet him, shock horror, he’s genuine.

Bright light in a game full of darkness.

I sincerely wish him every success. Sometimes the bloody good guys need a break.

boardlumps62

Juniors

The best club man on earth, actually respects fans and is grateful for any acclaim. None of this “ don’t u know who I am ? “ business.

I sincerely wish him every success. Sometimes the bloody good guys need a break.
Probably over the swearing bullshit from previous coach he wanted outa there

Probably over the swearing bullshit from previous coach he wanted outa there

Yeah it’s been a tough few seasons. He was signed for massive overs and Madge etc weren't able to bring him to the task.

And for bad timing reasons, he was lumped in with others under-performing and you end with a nasty roster scenario.

New faces, coaching and ideas is a good fresh start.

If he has an outstanding attribute, he is a genuine utility. So he’s really handy when injuries occur. That gives you more options which is a nice luxury in this day and age.

gitano

Juniors

Know the bloke well, one of the best

Know the bloke well, one of the best
Yeah I’ve told the true story of him coming over to meet stock fans on the other side of the field during a big benji event when other players and all of the officials ignored us.

They were facing the other way at the grandstand.

But Moses and Chrissy Lawrence broke away from the official function to meet us.

And for that generous effort they got applauded and cheered by the Tiger faithful ( including me) as a thanks for not forgetting us. Benji was too busy or too important to care.

If you’re chatting to Moses, thank him for that gesture, fondly remembered.

The lads and I forget the details of the post game benji accolade but remember Moses and Lawrence coming over!

Last edited:

George Dragon

Juniors
URL link added:
A refreshed Moses Mbye has no expectation about his role at the Dragons after conceding he desperately needed a shift from Wests Tigers.
The former State of Origin player is among a host of recruits for St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin, and is expected to be used in a utility role, which garnered him representative honours for Queensland.
But after asking for an early release from his big-money contract at the Tigers and then going through an on-again, off-again switch to St George Illawarra, Mbye admits even he’s unsure what role he will play for the Red V.
Junior Amone and Jayden Sullivan are expected to battle it out for the No.6 role alongside Ben Hunt, while Griffin will have strike centres Zac Lomax and Manly recruit Moses Suli as attacking threats out wide. It means Mbye is poised for a super-sub role
“It’s actually quite refreshing having that open mind about what I’m going to be doing,” he said. “I’ve been training pretty much in every position, and for me it’s just about making the 17 each week. That’s the goal.
“If I can just be fit, be ready and be healthy [that will be great]. In my conversations with ‘Hook’, I’m just willing to learn. He’s such a deep thinker of the game, but in saying that he keeps it very simple for his players.
“I’d played against his teams before and I had no relationship with him until he got to the Dragons. You come up with an impression in your head what you think someone is going to be like, but you’re just not sure.
“If you’re from central Queensland like ‘Hook’ is, you either play footy and, if you’re not good enough, you start coaching. And if you’re not good enough to coach, you usually start refereeing. That’s usually how it goes in central Queensland.
“But he just has good expectations of what he wants out of his players, and he lets you know when you’re not living up to those expectations.”
The utility role isn’t new to Mbye. He started at five-eighth, fullback, centre and off the bench under Michael Maguire at the Tigers last year as the 28-year-old compensated for injuries and different strategies.
But he knew his time at one joint venture was coming to a close, and traded it for another.
“But for me, I knew I needed a change. I didn’t have a preference where I wanted to go, but I just knew I needed a change from the Tigers. I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity at the Dragons.
“There’s a really massive crop of young talent at this club. There’s four or five really exceptional juniors through the system and the way they carry themselves with absolute maturity, and they look like they know what they want exactly out of the game while being willing to learn ... I’ve enjoyed training besides those guys.”

He just doesn’t need the pressure, it’s a bit like your players once Mary left and Hook came in.

Hook set the bar low and then had a solid pre-bbq gate stanza with some controversial signings and the odd mishap.

He sets the goals and expectations for players. He’s a deep thinker and communicates wisely more than often.

This was too much for Gus and co who wanted a Morris dancer. Gus who did the flawed review and ran away from it ASAP. So Hook is still in there for mine.

He probably needs a couple of extra years to settle to be honest and probably needs the club to stay out of player affairs.

It’s a shame we let Moses go, with Hastings arriving because Brooks and co never did enough for him on a consistent basis. He’d come on as a replacement but the opposition were never fatigued enough or he wouldn’t get it going.

It could have been a Madge thing, but when coaches are under stress, that can bounce back at certain players.

Last edited:
Well he’s got that pure blood utility in him.

He might become a solid Dylan Edwards type of fullback but with a modicum of talent.

He’d be safe back yonder, pretty good tackler.

Hook is the one of the most surprising coaches in the game. What is going through his head is anyone’s guess.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors

I was critical of the Mbye signing but he seems like really good team player with a great attitude. As long as Hook doesn’t have any brain explosions & baring injuries keeps him as a bench utility I think he’ll be a great addition.

His comments on Sloan are great to hear, the kid’s legend continues to grow. He’s going to be very special.

Latest posts