What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Like I said they don’t need to take over nsw and qlnd, just be significant and they are well on that journey. Meanwhile nrl is pretty much Insignificant outside of nsw and qlnd. The race is on and we are currently 5 laps behind. But yeh keep laughing and don’t choke on the sand with your head buried that deep.
hahahahaha

oh its
significant now

cartoons & cooking shows .... yep they're significant eh hahahaha

ground zero

Juniors
Here are the top population centres in Australian and NZ that can reasonably or do host a professional RL, RU or AFL team:

Sydney 5M
Melbourne 5M
Brisbane 2.5M
Perth 2M
Auckland 1.5M
Adelaide 1.2M
Gold Coast 500k
Canberra 395k
Christchurch 380k
Newcastle 320k
Wollongong 290k
Geelong 220k
Hobart 216k
Wellington 215k
Townsville 196k
Hamilton 178k
Dunedin 105k

The obvious market for team 18 is Perth and they will be the ones that get the nod. Not just because of the population, but because of the investors interested in backing the team and the existing structures. V'landys may talk about not being interested but his administration want financially sound bids and Perth will romp it in when the time comes. Brisbane 3 will not be # 18 so soon on the heels of Redcliffe.
Newcastle Hunter Valley Population 600 000 thousand.

take it a step further in 1983 & offer the same to Wests , rather then move from lidcombe to campbelltown
move them to newcastle

Balmain to ?
Bears to ?

idk
could have been a very different comp if not for Murdochs money
North Sydney Bears to Gold Coast. Merge with Burleigh Bears and become the Gold Coast Bears.

Balmain Tigers to Brisbane. Merge with Easts Tigers to become the Brisbane Tigers.

Newtown Jets to Ipswich. Merge with Ipswich Jets to become the Ipswich Jets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahahahaha

oh its
significant now

cartoons & cooking shows .... yep they're significant eh hahahaha
I’d make an ostrich sound, but not sure what they make lol
if it’s anything. Like WA their fans will be watching on fox/kayo not fta.
if you can’t see the growth of afls presence in nsw over the last 25 years there’s really nothing I can say that will convince you. Sht last time I was there I walked out of Sydney airport to be greeted by a massive gws billboard And afl ads on the conveyor belt tv.

afl in nrl heartland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nrl in afl heartland

MugaB

Coach
Like I said they don’t need to take over nsw and qlnd, just be significant and they are well on that journey. Meanwhile nrl is pretty much Insignificant outside of nsw and qlnd. The race is on and we are currently 5 laps behind. But yeh keep laughing and don’t choke on the sand with your head buried that deep.
All that becomes insignificant once perth and/or Adelaide gets another team regardless if the Nrl props them up ala storm, BUT in saying that, for leagues sake, it needs to be not only viable, needs to survive without a handout... regardless of grants.. needs to have juniors and participation at a continuous rate, not a fake ass ALF pay for your balls and kits garbage, its like pushing drugs out to kids the way they are promoting their game....
It has to be ingrained and wanted by those cities otherwise why bother.. the only exception is Melbourne due to the amount of 1st grade ALF clubs operating there.. idealy you want it there too, but realistically get what you can with 5 mil pop in foreign territory

I’d make an ostrich sound, but not sure what they make lol
if it’s anything. Like WA their fans will be watching on fox/kayo not fta.
if you can’t see the growth of afls presence in nsw over the last 25 years there’s really nothing I can say that will convince you. Sht last time I was there I walked out of Sydney airport to be greeted by a massive gws billboard And afl ads on the conveyor belt tv.

afl in nrl heartland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nrl in afl heartland

they can have all the billboards they want

no one is looking at them

Comparing league with Alf is a mistake, different sports completely, Alf will never leave aus borders, league is played in more countries overseas and can grow beyond just NSW & QLD, time is the only factor, in which ALF has spent all its effort in ingraining those two heartland league states in becoming somwhat viable...
If NRL went and plonked a team in Adelaide and Perth it would sink AFL in ratings as it has with one storm in Melbourne, seriously how does the current draft system in AFL make their comp credible... it doesn't its a shame purely coz they can't produce local nsw and qld juniors the same way we moan about Victoria not growing talent for NRL.. im accepting the fact NRL can't do it in vic, due to the amount of alf clubs there, but we have all the chips in making a national code more viable for years ahead than the ALF and their proping up of the swans, suns, giants and lions.. it cant go on forever no matter how many years they think they can throw money at it
I read some where that 50 Queenslanders play in AwFuL.

MugaB

Coach
Says the storm fan, who lives in Perth on a LU forum... seriously how does your logic work?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Says the storm fan, who lives in Perth on a LU forum... seriously how does your logic work?
Not saying there aren’t any rugby league fans in other states, but in comparison to the presence afl enjoys in nsw and qlnd it is insignificant. thank god Storm have been incredibly successful on the field or Id hate to think of the nrl presence in Victoria. In Perth there’s a decent grassroots and a decent supporter base but with no team there is no major public interest in nrl. Adelaide pretty much non existent at any level.

Not saying there aren’t any rugby league fans in other states, but in comparison to the presence afl enjoys in nsw and qlnd it is insignificant. thank god Storm have been incredibly successful on the field or Id hate to think of the nrl presence in Victoria. In Perth there’s a decent grassroots and a decent supporter base but with no team there is no major public interest in nrl. Adelaide pretty much non existent at any level.
the sellout origin crowds in Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth say hi moron lol

Perth should be the 18th team. It will make the NRL bigger and stronger off the field, with the option to expand further into NZ and Brisbane for the 19th and 20th licences.

Latest posts