What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

It is hard to believe the Warriors have been as ordinary as they have been though their history.
I just think league people are lazy bludgers the world over.
I could walk into Auckland and have them Storm level dominant within 1 year. I'd bring a team of arse kickers like GROTD with me.
I'd rebrand The Warriors as the Auckland Diehards, colours royal blue and white.

siv

First Grade
Warriors have played in two grand finals (02 and 11) and won a minor premiership (02). When they made the 2011 GF the ratings in NZ were very high, almost comparable to what the All Blacks were generating at the RWC that was held in NZ around that time.
And still went bust twice

ReddFelon

Juniors
Warriors have played in two grand finals (02 and 11) and won a minor premiership (02). When they made the 2011 GF the ratings in NZ were very high, almost comparable to what the All Blacks were generating at the RWC that was held in NZ around that time.

The difference here is that the All Blacks get those ratings every time they play, the Warriors got those ratings once because of the novelty. The same way Australians suddenly care about the Socceroos when the world cup is on, but nobody is watching the A-League any other time of the year.

The difference here is that the All Blacks get those ratings every time they play, the Warriors got those ratings once because of the novelty. The same way Australians suddenly care about the Socceroos when the world cup is on, but nobody is watching the A-League any other time of the year.
A-League and World cup are hardly the same thing. It's like comparing Queensland Cup with Origin, or pointing to a regular season NRL game in Sydney that doesn't draw the crowds or ratings of a GF or Origin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A-League and World cup are hardly the same thing. It's like comparing Queensland Cup with Origin, or pointing to a regular season NRL game in Sydney that doesn't draw the crowds or ratings of a GF or Origin.
That's his point lol. Warriors rate when they are in a final but not otherwise, where as All Blacks rate every game. Its nonsense to think the NRL can spend an extra $15mill a year in NZ on a second club and somehow make any sort of dent in Union over there. We need to stop thinking we can take over non Rl areas and aim to be a very strong and sustainable second in them. Getting NRL and Origin on FTA streaming in NZ will help the game over there and that new Christchurch stadium certainly helps the case for a second team in NZ though.

ReddFelon

Juniors

PR already covered my point pretty well. Think back to 2018 when the Warriors started the season 6-2 and Mt Smart was full all of a sudden. There were fans literally holding signs saying "we're did all these supporters come from?". The Warriors only rate when they're winning and making finals, if they have an average or worse season the support for them is almost non-existent and they're at least in the market where league is most popular within NZ. I've said before, an NZ 2 side would need to compete with the Crusaders, who are Perth Wildcats levels of dominant within their sport. Short of a Warriors vs NZ 2 grand final, you'll never top All Blacks performances in NZ.

Anyway, in 2026 when the new Christchurch stadium is built, the Dogs and Sea Eagles will likely be back to hosting the Warriors there once a year.

Jamberoo

Juniors
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

what they claim their average to be & what it actually is , are planets apart.
They are the biggest crowd fudgers in not just Australian , but world sport. I live 5 minutes from Manuka oval , It holds 15K not 13
& I maintain my claim , my eyes are functional .. they'd barely average 4K in Sydney & not much more In Canberra

anyone who claims anything else needs to pop along to OPSM
I am no fan of GWS, but know people in Canberra and games do regularly sellout. I just googled images of GWS games and the ground is always 80% full. You are almost right, including standing room and the hill, it hold 16k - 13,550 seats.
Kogarah would be the biggest exaggerators in Australian crowds. It can be less than 20% full and they will post 10k.

The Great Dane

First Grade
PR already covered my point pretty well. Think back to 2018 when the Warriors started the season 6-2 and Mt Smart was full all of a sudden. There were fans literally holding signs saying "we're did all these supporters come from?". The Warriors only rate when they're winning and making finals, if they have an average or worse season the support for them is almost non-existent and they're at least in the market where league is most popular within NZ. I've said before, an NZ 2 side would need to compete with the Crusaders, who are Perth Wildcats levels of dominant within their sport. Short of a Warriors vs NZ 2 grand final, you'll never top All Blacks performances in NZ.

Anyway, in 2026 when the new Christchurch stadium is built, the Dogs and Sea Eagles will likely be back to hosting the Warriors there once a year.
A similar argument could be made of the All Blacks though.

Unlike the Warriors they've more or less dominated their sport for the last 30 years, give or take. So the question becomes how much of their popularity is influenced by their success on the field.
I'd be willing to bet that like most sports teams the AB's (and RU in general's) popularity is heavily influenced by their success, and if the AB's had the Warriors track record of being at best mediocre for the majority of their existence that their support would greatly diminish, and they'd end up in a similar place to the Warriors where they draw well when they are going well, but their numbers are middling the rest of the time.

It's undeniable that when the Warriors go well the support is there, and that proves that there is a market for RL in NZ and that that market could be a strong one, the question is how do you turn that market from a fickle one to one where supporting RL becomes part of the average persons weekly ritual no matter the on field result. How you go about that is highly debatable, however three things are for sure, 1. it's going to take multiple teams (4-5 minimum), 2. those teams will need to be well financed and stable (unlike the Warriors historically BTW), 3. that that is going to cost a shit ton of money and resources.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney FC have put up a website showing off the new SFS areas like the Tunnel Club which is similar to what is already offered at both CommBank Stadium and Optus Stadium and a rough seating plan for the stadium.
Sydney FC website
went on Roosters site to see how much hype they are giving the new stadium. seems none. Nice work by Sydney FC to put all that together and get the fans excited.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am no fan of GWS, but know people in Canberra and games do regularly sellout. I just googled images of GWS games and the ground is always 80% full. You are almost right, including standing room and the hill, it hold 16k - 13,550 seats.
Kogarah would be the biggest exaggerators in Australian crowds. It can be less than 20% full and they will post 10k.
Yeah since they started making the finals their numbers in Canberra have been solid. They average between 10-12k depending on the year and regularly sell-out against the bigger teams, and anybody who tells you otherwise is ignorant or delusional.

What percentage of the crowd in Canberra could actually be truthfully described as GWS fans is another question, but that's a whole other discussion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike the Warriors they've more or less dominated their sport for the last 30 years, give or take. So the question becomes how much of their popularity is influenced by their success on the field.
I'd be willing to bet that like most sports teams the AB's (and RU in general's) popularity is heavily influenced by their success,
Shame that doesn't work for the kangaroos!

Latest posts