What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Warne

Valheru

Coach
Absolutely crushing news

RIP warnie.

He lived well to say the least but 52 is still way too young to die of a heart attack especially when you have people like ric flair still walking around!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He truly was a genius, before him we were used to seeing blokes like Sleep or Hohns or Holland who could bowl wicket taking deliveries but bowl at least 1 four ball an over. He could be used as a wicket taking option or he could be used as a stock bowler to dry up the runs when nothing was doing.

I spoke to my Pop who watched both Grimmett and O'Reilly, he said they were quite different to Warne, O'Reilly was tall bowled quick and bowled mainly Googly's and top spinners(bit like Kumble)and Grimmett had amazing control and had all the toys he never spun his leg break anywhere near as much as Warne. He could never tell me Warne was better because that's not how he was but he did admit his control for someone who put so many revs on the ball was freakish. I went from wanting to be like Wasim Akram to Warne overnight(sadly only baldness is what i achieved like him), he was must see TV no matter what happening. 52 is way too young feel real sorry for his kids.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep... Warnie v Lara or Sachin was like watching a Hollywood masterpiece. Captivating...

Warnie v Cullinan was more like watching Flying High... You knew what was coming and yet it always made you laugh!

RIP Warnie
His spell against the Saffa's in that WC final still gives me tingles. I think he bowled 7 or 8 overs for 3 for 13. When he came on they were cruising, Nek Minnett. His spell on the last day of amazing Adelaide was another. Freak.

Incorrect

Coach
His spell against the Saffa's in that WC final still gives me tingles. I think he bowled 7 or 8 overs for 3 for 13. When he came on they were cruising, Nek Minnett. His spell on the last day of amazing Adelaide was another. Freak.
Yeah the spell v SA in the semi final was all-time. I posted in the Eels forum much the same a few minutes ago.

I was at the MCG the day he took his 700th. Despite the crappy weather that morning the ground was near full from memory, only the members stand seemed empty... 80-odd thousand people went berko.

Sphagnum

Coach
Got to admit I’m f**king terrified that Australian Cricket is being surrounded by death when we are on this very dangerous tour in Pakistan. Feel for the players who would be absolutely devastated by the news over the last couple of days.

simmo1

First Grade
Could not stand his commentary, absolutely detested it, but this is not the way I wanted to not have to hear him - absolutley gutted for his kids, he lived for them.

2 legends gone on the same day. 2022 can f**k right off.

RIP

I didn't like his commentary either, but in a strange way I think I am going to miss it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Could not stand his commentary, absolutely detested it, but this is not the way I wanted to not have to hear him - absolutley gutted for his kids, he lived for them.

2 legends gone on the same day. 2022 can f**k right off.

RIP

Yeah look I'm not one to ignore someone's flaws in death, which seems to be a common thing.

Plainly, Warnie was a bit of a f**kwit. But I also kinda think that's what made him such a legend?

He was the king of spin and he absolutely knew and loved it. A guy without his confidence and ego probably never does what he did as a player. It takes a bit of that to change the game the way he did.

I was another who had to check it wasn't a hoax...just shocking. I grew up watching him and McGrath just dismantle all comers through the 90s. The guy made plenty of bad choices along the way but that doesn't change his impact in the game. 52 is way too young for sure.

Munky

Coach
First thing I saw this morning was a Betoota FB post and CL thought it was a sick joke.

The Australian equivalent of Maradona, GOAT talent who loved to live it up.

blaza88z

Coach
Yeah look I'm not one to ignore someone's flaws in death, which seems to be a common thing.

Plainly, Warnie was a bit of a f**kwit. But I also kinda think that's what made him such a legend?

He was the king of spin and he absolutely knew and loved it. A guy without his confidence and ego probably never does what he did as a player. It takes a bit of that to change the game the way he did.

I was another who had to check it wasn't a hoax...just shocking. I grew up watching him and McGrath just dismantle all comers through the 90s. The guy made plenty of bad choices along the way but that doesn't change his impact in the game. 52 is way too young for sure.

If he didn't step into the media and try his hand at commentary, his legacy would be that of a Don Bradman and I'm not saying he wasn't a good cricketer, he was one of the best we'll ever see.

However, his commentary was mute worthy content, narcissistic views all over the place, never conceded he was wrong about anything. The time the live mic was caught when he thought he was off air and he was going on about Marnus probably is a more accurate indication of what kind of a guy he really was.

There will be a lot of people who are devastated today and rightfully so, then there be another bunch of people who actually watch cricket and will know that this guy was a flog, just because he has sadly passed away doesn't erase that fact.

Having said all of that, 52 is way too young, rest in peace.

Latest posts