What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Warne

Eelectrica

Referee
Stunned doesn't even begin to describe it. Warney was an absolute legend on the field.

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said other to say in summers when Warney was bowling I'd queue up Harvester of Sorrow and have that playing while he was bowling because that's generally what happened to the opposition batting line up.

RIP Warney a larger than life character who will most definitely missed and contributed so much to the game.

_snafu_

Immortal
So shocked that I still can’t believe it.

Without doubt the greatest bowler.

RIP Warnie

King-Gutho94

Coach
I cant believe it i woke up to all these messages and notifications this mornings to see it. I am shocked growing up as a kid and loving cricket in the early 2000s. We had real 2 real entertainers that dragged us young ones into the game. Gilly with the bat and warnie with the ball.

Got to meet warnie at his autobiography launch a few years back its quite unbelievable he is gone.

I had a quick look its quite unbelievable the last 137 test cricketers picked for Australia outside of phil hughes our greatest Warnie is the only other one to pass away.

Meth

Staff member
Plainly, Warnie was a bit of a f**kwit. But I also kinda think that's what made him such a legend?

He was a f**kwit. But he was your f**kwit. He was cricket's f**kwit.

Love for him was probably at an all-time low, as memories of his exploits became more distant and his commentary became more grating. He went from being a hero to being a hero of all of his own stories.

But being a f**kwit is almost expected when somebody is the very, very best at what they do. Warne was the very, very best at spin bowling

Meth

Staff member
Got to admit I’m f**king terrified that Australian Cricket is being surrounded by death when we are on this very dangerous tour in Pakistan. Feel for the players who would be absolutely devastated by the news over the last couple of days.

Don't quite get the link. By all accounts, Australia are very safe in Pakistan and Marsh and Warne died of natural causes.

King hit

Coach
I’m just gobsmacked. An absolute legend of the game, I feel privileged to have seen a genius like him play. Adelaide 2006 will never be forgotten. RIP Warnie to a life well lived.

nöyd

Staff member
I took my mum and stepdad down to the SCG to watch the last day of a test against the Windies, it was the day Taylor dropped the catch off Bevo's bowling but then kicked it back up and caught it.

A ball got edged through the slips, Warnie chased it down to the boundary right in front of us, I'm actually on the broadcast reaching over the fence to get the ball, my mum takes one look at Shane and says 'omg his eyes are so blue!', he looked up, gave a wink and ran back to slips.

😎

JJ

Immortal
The Australian equivalent of Maradona, GOAT talent who loved to live it up.
I quite like that Maradona comparison, both flawed genuises, both could do things that nobody (literally nobody) else could, both questionable characters who divided opinion - keeps things interesting... and, importantly, people close to him seemed to really value him, people are always more than the snippets we see, or contrived roles they play

The c Marsh b Lillee pairing is still astonishing, and facing McGrath at one end and Warne at the other would have been as difficult as batting ever got (and then most of the other 9 blokes were world beaters too, a privilege to watch)...

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
I took my mum and stepdad down to the SCG to watch the last day of a test against the Windies, it was the day Taylor dropped the catch off Bevo's bowling but then kicked it back up and caught it.

A ball got edged through the slips, Warnie chased it down to the boundary right in front of us, I'm actually on the broadcast reaching over the fence to get the ball, my mum takes one look at Shane and says 'omg his eyes are so blue!', he looked up, gave a wink and ran back to slips.

😎
I was sitting in the Brewongle Stand that day... That ball that got Chanderpaul just before lunch was the 'literal' turning point. Windies we're doing well in that chase until then. It was all over after that...

Wizardman

First Grade
The greatest thing I can say about Warnie as a sportsman is that there is no sportsman quite like him. Most of the sportsman we consider a great had some sort of competition for the GOAT tag. Warne had no competition for his craft of spin bowling.
Before Warne, there was no spinner like him. What makes Warne even more special is despite his obvious impact on the game and spin bowling which would have inspired generations of players to take up spin bowling, no player to this day can hold a candle to what he was. No bowler has come close to be honest. Our best since Warne was a guy who could not dry up the runs (Macgill) and a guy who cannot attack (Lyon). Lets face the facts.....Murali chucked the ball.

Scott

Bench
He was a genius. A showman. An entertainer. I grew up watching him. When he bowled, you had to watch. Whatever else you had on, it had to wait. He transcended the game. The single biggest influence on the game of cricket.
Devastated for his kids. Rest easy King.

Meth

Staff member
What makes Warne even more special is despite his obvious impact on the game and spin bowling which would have inspired generations of players to take up spin bowling, no player to this day can hold a candle to what he was. No bowler has come close to be honest.

This is on point

Exsilium

First Grade
97/98 Aus v SA test.

A large contingent of Aussie fans, including myself were giving it large to Pat Symcox. Yelling “Symcox ya wanker” and repeating it until he eventually turned around and said “if I’m the wanker, what does they make Warney?!?”

JJ

Immortal
He arrived on the back of an era of fast bowling dominance and certainly made cricket more interesting. While he did change the fame, we’re back in another era of fast bowling dominance, it really is hard to dominate as a spinner in tests, which makes his career more remarkable.

whether he’s the greatest or not remains a silly debate , as Hindy says above the likes of Tiger, Grimmett, along with Laker and others were obviously great too…. But I’m 100% certain Warne will be the greatest spinner any of us will ever see…
97/98 Aus v SA test.

A large contingent of Aussie fans, including myself were giving it large to Pat Symcox. Yelling “Symcox ya wanker” and repeating it until he eventually turned around and said “if I’m the wanker, what does they make Warney?!?”
That’s on point…

lol, the Cullinan “looks like you spent it eating” retort too, I suspect Warne liked both…. He was a character, no mistake

Wizardman

First Grade
I have two big memories of him on the field. I was watching him the night his life was a virtual train wreck when he was photographed being with two ladies....he went out and destroyed the poms. Every sportsman I've ever seen underperforms when their home life is in tatters....except Warne.
The second was the last day of an ashes test in South Australia where Warnie cleaned them up in two sessions.