What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Warne

The greatest thing I can say about Warnie as a sportsman is that there is no sportsman quite like him. Most of the sportsman we consider a great had some sort of competition for the GOAT tag. Warne had no competition for his craft of spin bowling.
Before Warne, there was no spinner like him. What makes Warne even more special is despite his obvious impact on the game and spin bowling which would have inspired generations of players to take up spin bowling, no player to this day can hold a candle to what he was. No bowler has come close to be honest. Our best since Warne was a guy who could not dry up the runs (Macgill) and a guy who cannot attack (Lyon). Lets face the facts.....Murali chucked the ball.
Murali's statistics should be stricken from the record books. Like Lillee said, Murali "is no dill". Lillee said Murali took about 10 km/h off his deliveries when he was tested in the nets so his action would be legal, but that doesn't mean he bowled the same way in games. I've never seen a more suspicious bowling action in my life and I cannot accept him as the world's leading wicket taker.

Shane Warne is, and always will be, the most talented and successful bowler and greatest cricketer to ever play the game. Don Bradman had a great record, but he only played against New Zealand, England and South Africa. England have never been a dominant force for any length of period and New Zealand were at a similar level to Bangladesh back then. South Africa were competitive. If he played today or 40 years ago then there's no way he would have averaged 99 playing against India and Pakistan in Asia or the might of the Windies.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its hard to describe whats happened in the past 2 days with the passing of Rod Marsh and now Shane Warne, I mean two legends passing this week, its just so sad and devastating. When I found out Warney I had to actually go through news feeds and live updates to double check this wasnt a hoax as it was so hard to believe. Sadly it was true, waking up the next morning and seeing so many tributes from past cricketers and celebrities.

Warne was a legend of the game and I was fortunate enough to start watching cricket just as he started playing test cricket. He did so many great things for cricket in 90s which made me fall in love with the game even more. He was us so many matches over the years and got us out of trouble so many times. He was a freak of a bowler. An absolute champion.

Its hard to say what my favourite memory of Warne is cause there is so many. I remember the 99 World Cup when we looked gone against South Africa, then Warne takes 3 wickets to change the game, and then backed it up with a man of the match performance in the final. His 300th wicket at the SCG was pretty memorable in 1998. I remember his comeback in 2004, he dominated Sri Lanka and I dont think he put on a bad performance ever since. Played a big part in winning the Border Gavaskar trophy later that year. But what the outstanding performance in the 2005 Ashes series, ok we lost but he could do no wrong bat and ball.

I was lucky enough to see his last test, I was there at his last innings at the SCG 77 I think he got.

The fact he took 700 wickets and missed 2 full summers, plus most of another one is quite amazing, he wouldve probably got to 800

It wasnt that long ago I saw Warne and Vaughan walk past me at the Bradman Concourse at the SCG in the recent test and fans were trying to get a selfie with Shane, he unfortunately couldnt do them all but kind enough to take a few.

To die at 52 is so young and tragic.

Shane Warne you will be missed. RIP

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I've been just thinking about this since I heard he passed in the early hours of Saturday.

Warne was such a titan of not only cricket but Australia in general. The guy was so unapologetically himself. He spent what felt like hours talking about TV shows from the 70s lol

He's gonna be missed. He could annoy the shit out of me but he can't be replaced. An iconic Australian.

Very sad

TheParraboy

Staff member
Reading some articles and listening to Michael Vaughn talk (about times when he was hanging out with Warne)

Warne really didn't look after himself with food. He had heart issues in his life

He had seen a doctor with chest pain before the heart attack

1646528432802.png

Australian cricket great Shane Warne had experienced chest pains prior to his death in Thailand and had a history of asthma and some heart issues, according to Thai Police.

Key points:​

• Thai police are not treating Warne's death as suspicious
  • They say Warne's family told them he had a history of asthma and heart problems
  • Warne's body will be transferred to Surat Thani on the Thai mainland on Sunday for an autopsy

Warne, 52, died after a suspected heart attack at a villa on Koh Samui on Friday.

Yuttana Sirisomba, superintendent at the Bo Phut police station on Koh Samui, told reporters on Saturday he had been given medical information from Warne's family.

Mr Yuttana added that Warne had recently "seen a doctor about his heart".

He said the Australian's body would be transferred to Surat Thani on the Thai mainland on Sunday for an autopsy.

Mr Yuttana said he did not know how long the autopsy would take.

"I am not sure as it depends on the doctor's opinion," he said.

He declined to comment when asked about the likely cause of death.

Earlier, friends of Warne met with Thai Police at Bo Phut Police Station to discuss repatriating the Australian cricketing great's body.

Nuke

Staff member
The last time, before Warnie, I was halted by news of a celebrity's death was Steve Irwin. I flicked on Foxtel to check something and saw a heap of 'Remembering Warnie' type of shows. It looked grim, so I had to look online, and yep, there was the news ... but yet I find it hard to believe.

What I can believe, however, like Steve Irwin being killed by a dangerous animal, is that Shane Warne died in a place like Thailand or Bali.
Seems rather fitting to me.

Still shocking news though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
By far the most important player of my childhood. He was the biggest reason I fell in love with the sport.

Part of his charm was how attainable he made greatness seem. He showed a chubby bloke who smoked, ate junk, and drank could be a legendary sportsman. Tragically, it appears that regular bloke lifestyle led the once in a lifetime player to an all too common type of death.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Talking of heaven

Fair side up there

Phil Hughes
Lyndsay Hassett
Don Bradman
Dean Jones
David Hookes
Allan Davidson
Rod Marsh
Richie Benaud
Shane Warne
Gary Gilmore
Ray Lindwall
12th man Max Walker

No one tell Chappelli ive left out Norm Oneill, Sid Barnes Arthur Morris, Bruce Yardley and Ashley Mallett.

May they all RIP

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Talking of heaven

Fair side up there

Phil Hughes
Bill Lawry
Don Bradman
Dean Jones
David Hookes
Allan Davidson
Rod Marsh
Richie Benaud
Shane Warne
Gary Gilmore
Ray Lindwall
12th man Max Walker

No one tell Chappelli ive left out Norm Oneill, Lyndsay Hassett, Sid Barnes Arthur Morris, Bruce Yardley and Ashley Mallett.

May they all RIP
LMAO - all the deceased Australian cricketers, and you picked that lineup??? And included a poor guy that thinks he's still alive... I'll just say Keith Miller says hello...

TheParraboy

Staff member
LMAO - all the deceased Australian cricketers, and you picked that lineup??? And included a poor guy that thinks he's still alive... I'll just say Keith Miller says hello...

Not bad from the top of my head, no doubt missed a few.

Obviously most picked from recent passings, players that Warney knew, and older ones I knew who were talked out regularly

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
This extreme diet could have played its part

1646631244025.png

Health experts are warning against “extreme” diets after it was claimed Shane Warne had “just finished” a juice cleanse before his shock death at age 52.

The Australian cricket legend had reportedly consumed only liquids for 14 days shortly before suffering a suspected heart attack in Thailand, his manager James Erksine said.
Exact details of Warne’s liquid diet are not known, but Erskine described it as a “ridiculous” juice “diet” during an interview with Nine’s Weekend Today on Sunday.

Warne had also opened up about being 10 days into “operation shred” on his Instagram account, revealing in the last post before his death he was determined to “get back” into shape.
Despite being a sporting superstar, known as the “Spin King” for his superior bowling abilities, Warne loved food like the rest of us.

He often spoke about his love of baked beans, was photographed regularly with a beer and a pie, and shared snaps to his social media accounts of tasty treats he enjoyed including ice cream, crumpets and hot chips.

Warne had begun eating solids again before his death, with reports stating his last meal was the classic Aussie staple of Vegemite on toast, prompting experts to warn of the dangers of crash diets.

Clinical nutritionist Leilani Finau said juice cleanses are prescribed on a short-term basis, explaining anyone who follows the restrictive diet for a prolonged period could experience “detrimental effects”.

“Juice cleanses are typically only used, or advised to be used, for 1-3 days,” the Sydney-based expert said.

However Leilani said prolonged juice cleanses can have a detrimental effect on the body due to the lack of calories and macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat) consumed.

“Juices are further stripped of important fibres in processing, which is already a lacking nutrient of concern in Australian diets,” she said.

“They also lend the subject participating in the cleanse to undergo prolonged periods of fasting which can lead to dehydration, weakness, fainting, and headaches.”

1646631303182.png

This is a sentiment shared by Peta Carige, one of Australia’s leading sports dietitians, who warned that adopting “very low calorie” diets such as a juice cleanse can negatively impact our overall health.

“A juice cleanse is not sustainable because it creates yo-yo dieting habits,” she told news.com.au.

“This long term can create damage to your metabolism at a cellular level because your body doesn’t like being in a big calorie deficit, so it slows everything down for your body to cope.”